Darkness of rides worse than before. Covering up bad show or 'energy saving'?

Lilofan

Let Disney know....
If they know enough people are noticing these things, they might actually do something.
The new WDW President is Jeff Valhe. Before he stepped into his new role he was in charge of all of Maintainance of WDW prior to his promotion of getting the top job at WDW.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

As I said before, when the parks reopened post pandemic, the dark rides WERE noticeably darker…we experienced it on HM, Dinosaur and even ToT…I even asked CM’s and was told because the pre shows weren’t being used, guests were led into the traditional darker loading areas without the normal time needed for eyes to adjust. Now I think (in some cases), areas might be made darker to hide non working effects…Dinosaur for example.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

My eyes are extremely sensitive to light thanks to years and years of chronic migraines, and I also go to WDW at least twice a year.

I have not noticed a change in the lighting since the pandemic. HM has always been dark, Space Mountain has been pitch black in the TTM tube ever since they enclosed it years and years ago, and the queue in POTC has always been dark.

If you're going a few years in between trips, your eyesight may have changed, which may be why you think the lighting has changed.

Andrew25

I think lighting is the same, however I noticed Guardians is a bit brighter, but not sure if that's just my mind messing with me.

However, 100% confident they are saving money on A/C costs. SSE especially is very warm inside.

yensid1967

Let Disney know....
If they know enough people are noticing these things, they might actually do something.
Yeah...they will do something about it and raise tickets prices to cover the costs of something that should be common for Disney to do for the sake of THE SHOW.

Smiley/OCD

My eyes are extremely sensitive to light thanks to years and years of chronic migraines, and I also go to WDW at least twice a year.

I have not noticed a change in the lighting since the pandemic. HM has always been dark, Space Mountain has been pitch black in the TTM tube ever since they enclosed it years and years ago, and the queue in POTC has always been dark.

If you're going a few years in between trips, your eyesight may have changed, which may be why you think the lighting has changed.
Did I or did I not say what I was told by the CM’s…that the reason why the rides appeared darker was that without standing in the pre shows, stretching room (at the time), etc., your eyes didn’t have enough time to adjust to the darkness. I agree with that assessment BUT Dinosaur is MUCH darker these days, whether it’s because black lights are off or to take your focus away from non working effects remains to be determined. On Dinosaur, I think there’s some validity to that argument. Speaking for just myself, I get my eyes checked every year…night vision is just fine.

Goofyernmost

Did I or did I not say what I was told by the CM’s…that the reason why the rides appeared darker was that without standing in the pre shows, stretching room (at the time), etc., your eyes didn’t have enough time to adjust to the darkness. I agree with that assessment BUT Dinosaur is MUCH darker these days, whether it’s because black lights are off or to take your focus away from non working effects remains to be determined. On Dinosaur, I think there’s some validity to that argument. Speaking for just myself, I get my eyes checked every year…night vision is just fine.
Hell there nothing to see in Dinosaur anyway. It probably is better the darker it gets. Also unless cataracts are present, I've told that night vision does get better as we age. Probably to prevent us from tripping over things in the dark.

Smiley/OCD

Hell there nothing to see in Dinosaur anyway. It probably is better the darker it gets. Also unless cataracts are present, I've told that night vision does get better as we age. Probably to prevent us from tripping over things in the dark.
I don’t know what optometrist or ophthalmologist you go to, but every eye doctor I have ever seen has said like everything else, as we age, our night vision does get worse.

jloucks

When was the last time you rode the TTA? The path through Space Mountain has been a pitch black boar for about 15 years now when then covered the queue.
Sounds kinda tasty
360_F_118847360_x2bzDqXS0tPwrnLc0HiYlQnkHFhodA7R.jpg

J4546

The night skies worldwide have dimmed due to light pollution. A source from far away can scatter and disrupt starlight in a wide area and those distant city lights you see in the desert make it all the way to where you are. I get what you are saying, I'm old and don't like to drive at night but I do remember being blown away by the night sky at home. I can still get to places it is much better but it's too far to get to really dark. If you are north the aurora interferes and near the equator there are usually clouds. Happy memories
I remember growing up on the coast of Virginia and just being amazed at all the stars in the night sky. Now i live in LA and the only stars are helicopters lol. I do love going back home for xmas and seeing that awesome night sky

Goofyernmost

I don’t know what optometrist or ophthalmologist you go to, but every eye doctor I have ever seen has said like everything else, as we age, our night vision does get worse.
It does unless you have cataract surgery because your old lens that has yellowed with age is replaced by a crystal clear lens and like magic night vision is improved. I did neglect to mention that I had cataract surgery (both eyes), but my night vision now at 75 is just as clear and good as it was in my teens. When you get to the point of having that surgery you will see (tee hee) what I mean.

Smiley/OCD

It does unless you have cataract surgery because your old lens that has yellowed with age is replaced by a crystal clear lens and like magic night vision is improved. I did neglect to mention that I had cataract surgery (both eyes), but my night vision now at 75 is just as clear and good as it was in my teens. When you get to the point of having that surgery you will see (tee hee) what I mean.
Yes, that is true that cataracts do effect night vision and it will improve with surgery, but as we get older, our pupils shrink letting less light in regardless of the cataracts. As surgery helps, it can’t correct the shrinking pupils.
I’m glad you had improvement…Macular degeneration runs in my family together with my MS, ALWAYS concerns me so I see an ophthalmologist on a regular basis.

NelleBelle

Yes, that is true that cataracts do effect night vision and it will improve with surgery, but as we get older, our pupils shrink letting less light in regardless of the cataracts. As surgery helps, it can’t correct the shrinking pupils.
I’m glad you had improvement…Macular degeneration runs in my family together with my MS, ALWAYS concerns me so I see an ophthalmologist on a regular basis.
I have an extremely rare form of macular degeneration/dystrophy called "Best's" and at 45 I have crappy night vision to where I really don't like driving at night anymore. I see fine during the day but my eyes have a very difficult time adjusting to the darkness after being blinded by oncoming headlights. Has absolutely nothing to do with cataracts. This is also why I have a hard time going into rides like HM where it's really bright outside and then into an extremely low light setting (stretching room and queue after the stretching room). I have to hang onto someone because my vision is temporarily lost.

Goofyernmost

Macular degeneration is a disease. It happens more often to older people but isn't just part of the aging process. In spite of my cataract surgery I could still have macular degeneration and vice versa. Still the reason for common vision deterioration is a best kept secret. Yes, there are some things that weaken as we get older, but most of it is caused by the yellowing of the lens. It's something that isn't talked about very much. It was never mentioned to me at all until I had my first surgery and it was so visible that the fixed eye was picking everything up clear and so much brighter all with the same 70 year old vision photoreceptors. Both eyes equaled out when a couple years later the cataract in the other eye advanced to where it was affecting my vision. Once done both eyes picked up the repair. My wife had such bad vision that unless she knew where her glasses were she couldn't find her glasses. After surgery, a lifetime of wearing glasses and in her 70's she no longer needed glasses at all. No one likes the thought of people sticking things in their eyeballs so unless things like cataract or macular Degen. are diagnosed all eye related things are confined to new prescriptions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom