Damage Control PR Spin for Star Wars Begins

180º

Mouse Trap

While I agree that TLJ left the fandom split, anyone questioning the health of Star Wars should see what happened with SWC.

4-Day passes sold out in about an hour, many single day tickets were gone within a few hours as well. Held at the same exact venue as D23 - which took weeks/months to sell out. If Star Wars fans were really THAT ed they wouldn't have gobbled up tickets in record time and at record prices.

And no one wanted Solo. From announcement to release the entire Star Wars community never opened up to the idea. It had nothing to do with TLJ. By the time most people found out it was actually a pretty decent and well done film it was already too late.

britain

While I agree that TLJ left the fandom split, anyone questioning the health of Star Wars should see what happened with SWC.

4-Day passes sold out in about an hour, many single day tickets were gone within a few hours as well. Held at the same exact venue as D23 - which took weeks/months to sell out. If Star Wars fans were really THAT ****ed they wouldn't have gobbled up tickets in record time and at record prices.

And no one wanted Solo. From announcement to release the entire Star Wars community never opened up to the idea. It had nothing to do with TLJ. By the time most people found out it was actually a pretty decent and well done film it was already too late.

I wanted "The Adventures of Han & Chewie" - a prequel in name only. I didn't need to see how he got a name, etc, etc. I just wanted to see two buddies on an adventure. 'Solo' delivered some of that.

WDW Pro

Original Poster

4-Day passes sold out in about an hour, many single day tickets were gone within a few hours as well. Held at the same exact venue as D23 - which took weeks/months to sell out. If Star Wars fans were really THAT ****ed they wouldn't have gobbled up tickets in record time and at record prices.

The SWC subsequent to TLJ was postponed for a full year. The numbers of tickets to SWC are less than 0.1% of needed movie ticket sales to sustain the franchise.

Monorail_Orange

The SWC subsequent to TLJ was postponed for a full year. The numbers of tickets to SWC are less than 0.1% of needed movie ticket sales to sustain the franchise.
??? what the he!! "sustained the franchise" for 20 years between original theatrical release and special edition release? and then the next nearly 20 years between the prequels and TFA?

TROR

They delayed SWC because Solo came out only 6 months later and they had no big movie news to announce so the event would’ve been a dud. What a silly comment.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
They delayed SWC because Solo came out only 6 months later and they had no big movie news to announce so the event would’ve been a dud. What a silly comment.

They cancelled it. And at the time they could have shown a trailer for the soon-to-be cancelled Obi Wan movie, they could have shown information on SW:GE, they could have shown new video games. Big businesses don't cancel big events unless they have a solid reason. And besides that, I was correcting a false statement, which you didn't address.

https://www.ibtimes.com.au/star-wars-2018-celebration-cancelled-next-event-set-2019-1546785

TROR

They cancelled it. And at the time they could have shown a trailer for the soon-to-be cancelled Obi Wan movie, they could have shown information on SW:GE, they could have shown new video games. Big businesses don't cancel big events unless they have a solid reason. And besides that, I was correcting a false statement, which you didn't address.

https://www.ibtimes.com.au/star-wars-2018-celebration-cancelled-next-event-set-2019-1546785
Except it wasn't canceled because it was never scheduled. Also this occured before The Last Jedi's first trailer even dropped. If you're trying to implying there's some connection, you'll have to look somewhere else because there isn't one.

Last edited by a moderator:

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Except it wasn't canceled because it was never scheduled. Also this occured before The Last Jedi's first trailer even dropped. If you're trying to implying there's some connection, you'll have to look somewhere else because there isn't one.

International Business Times is not a "dumb fansite" that posts "rumor" and I do not intend to converse with someone wishing to insult my intellectual prowess.

Last edited by a moderator:

TROR

International Business Times is not a "dumb fansite" that posts "rumor" and I do not intend to converse with someone wishing to insult my intellectual prowess.
I was referencing your comment about an Obi Wan movie, a film never announced by Lucasfilm and thus was never anything more than a rumor from dumb fansites.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I was referencing your comment about an Obi Wan movie, a film never announced by Lucasfilm and thus was never anything more than a rumor from dumb fansites.

An Obi Wan movie was absolutely in the works. Principal photography scouts were even called back from the assignment. Some information about the film and a Boba Fett movie being cancelled were reported by Variety, an industry trade publication. That's not a rumor or a "dumb fan site". I would recommend you hold back on some of your more abrasive speech patterns when you're chatting with people who know what they're talking about... and even those that don't out of general politeness.

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-movie-disney-stephen-daldry-1202531346/
https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...in-offs-scrapped-cancelled-Solo-flop-backlash

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I'm sorry but this is a false narrative. It was cancelled long before TLJ was even released, almost a full year ahead of it being released.
SWC has never set to be an annual convention, in fact there were many years when no SWC was held and if held in 2018 would have been the first time ever the event was held in 3 consecutive years.

So this idea that it was cancelled due to some affect TLJ had on the fandom is a false narrative.

jerryp49

FREEZE! Disneyland Implements Hiring Freeze and Cutbacks
By
Dusty Sage
-
July 10, 2019
Things are getting serious at Disneyland where a hiring freeze and budget cuts have just been implemented in response to low summer attendance.
All departments have been asked to cut labor hours and make other cuts as necessary. The park had staffed up for the expected huge crowds for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. When those crowds didn’t appear, Disney unblocked Cast Member admissions and launched discounted pass holder tickets. While those admissions do seem to be successful, it isn’t enough to make up for soft hotel room bookings and short attraction waits.
Guests should expect to see entertainment, custodial, and non-essential labor cuts immediately at the resort.

Mouse Trap

Why in the hell would anyone make a trip to go to GE right now when RoR isn’t open?

I don’t care how low crowd levels are. I’m not buying a ticket to see an incomplete land and then making another trip to ride RoR.

It’s mind blowing to me that people are surprised attendance is “soft” and SWL is “flopping”. I’ll wait in 4 hour long lines as long as it means I get to see EVERYTHING. Yes, I’m a lifelong diehard fan of Star Wars and have been painfully waiting for this to open for years.

I don’t see how anyone including Disneyland expected this thing to bring in massive crowds when the big ticket attraction that has been hyped up for years isn’t open. I have a tentative trip schedule for the end of August, but if RoR isn’t opened I’ll be pushing it back until November or December and I doubt I’m the only one doing this sort of thing.

Last edited:

TP2000

I don’t see how anyone including Disneyland expected this thing to bring in massive crowds when the big ticket attraction that has been hyped up for years isn’t open. I have a tentative trip schedule for the end of August, but if RoR isn’t opened I’ll be pushing it back until November or December and I doubt I’m the only one doing this sort of thing.

Rumors on Twitter say a Resistance ride announcement is coming tomorrow on the Parks Blog. Prepare to push back your August trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom