Daily Trash and Regular Mousekeeping Notification

Vipor51

Original Poster
So, I just received an email today from DVC indicating that they are adding Daily Trash Service and Regular Mousekeeping Service.

Does anyone know if Regular Mousekeeping Service means daily or the usual 4 and 7 day service?

dreamfinder

What I'm seeing is that this is related to the change in the "Do Not Disturb" signs switching to "Room Occupied". It gives them a valid reason to enter the rooms each day to make sure nothing looks amiss, and lets them spin it into a win for DVC by giving guests the trash service without charging them more. Mousekeeping should remain the same, as this is basically a 30 second "Grab trash and make sure everything looks kosher" pitstop.

correcaminos

What I'm seeing is that this is related to the change in the "Do Not Disturb" signs switching to "Room Occupied". It gives them a valid reason to enter the rooms each day to make sure nothing looks amiss, and lets them spin it into a win for DVC by giving guests the trash service without charging them more. Mousekeeping should remain the same, as this is basically a 30 second "Grab trash and make sure everything looks kosher" pitstop.
This is what I read as well. Honestly not too happy about this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think this makes sense from a security standpoint. While I enjoy my privacy I also realize that some guy with a stash of guns also enjoys his. Will this actually make things safer? Who knows. A crazy person like the guy in Vegas would probably just alter his behavior. If he knew someone was going to check on the room every day he wouldn’t have left a bunch of guns lying around. That doesn’t necessarily stop him from acting but it does make it more difficult and limits his time to act.

At least if I’m giving up some privacy the trade off is my trash gets emptied every day. It’s better than them just coming in to check on the room and then leaving.

correcaminos

I think this makes sense from a security standpoint. While I enjoy my privacy I also realize that some guy with a stash of guns also enjoys his. Will this actually make things safer? Who knows. A crazy person like the guy in Vegas would probably just alter his behavior. If he knew someone was going to check on the room every day he wouldn’t have left a bunch of guns lying around. That doesn’t necessarily stop him from acting but it does make it more difficult and limits his time to act.

At least if I’m giving up some privacy the trade off is my trash gets emptied every day. It’s better than them just coming in to check on the room and then leaving.
I'm concerned with the increased dues because of this, I just hope they won't be bad. I spoke with someone at DVC about this and I feel a little better. We can have our privacy respected more than I feared. We'll see how it all works in the end :)

I'm not near as concerned about security as some are though, which probably has me thinking of the annoyances first ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm concerned with the increased dues because of this, I just hope they won't be bad. I spoke with someone at DVC about this and I feel a little better. We can have our privacy respected more than I feared. We'll see how it all works in the end :)

I'm not near as concerned about security as some are though, which probably has me thinking of the annoyances first ;)
I thought of the potential impact to dues as well. I felt more comfortable when I found out it was just trash removal. In theory it shouldn’t add more than a few minutes for each room. It still seems like it would have to result in an increase in staff since they struggle to have rooms ready by 4pm sometimes without this, but it shouldn’t be as bad as going to full maid service.

As far as security goes I don’t think it adds a whole lot, but it does give Disney a confrontation free way of entering a room of a suspicious person that’s now within the published rules and also lets any potential wrong doers know that the possibility exists that a maid will be entering the room each day. It may be easier for them to pick a different target without that restriction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Merry Christmas gang, catch me up what change in the "do not disturb" policy
Disney is replacing the “do not disturb” signs with “room occupied” signs at the resorts on property. Here’s the thread:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/do-not-disturb-signs-being-removed-from-resort-rooms.936711/

This is supposed to be an enhancement to security and is rumored to be part of the response to what happened in Vegas. Basically you can no longer just leave your do not disturb sign on and expect to not be bothered. Even with the room occupied sign Disney is reserving the right to have someone enter the room.

For DVC since there isn’t daily mousekeeping for owners staying on points they are adding daily trash removal service. They will come to the room each day and only empty trash cans. The assumption is this is being done in conjunction with the removal of do not disturb signs to keep the DVC resorts on par with the other hotel rooms.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Watch the dues jump by 10-20%, So glad my DVC is finally sold the money pipeline from my wallet to Disneys coffers is finally irrevocably severed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Watch the dues jump by 10-20%, So glad my DVC is finally sold the money pipeline from my wallet to Disneys coffers is finally irrevocably severed.
I do worry about a fee increase for this service. They are limited to 15% overall increases in a year so 20% can’t happen and since housekeeping is less than 20% of the total dues they would have to pretty much double the housekeeping budget to drive a 15% increase in overall MFs. That seems highly unlikely given this is just trash removal.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I do worry about a fee increase for this service. They are limited to 15% overall increases in a year so 20% can’t happen and since housekeeping is less than 20% of the total dues they would have to pretty much double the housekeeping budget to drive a 15% increase in overall MFs. That seems highly unlikely given this is just trash removal.

Remember trash and towel was every 4 days so only 25% of the rooms were visited at all, Now 100% of the rooms need to be visited that's going to require close to a 50% increase in mousekeeper FTE's and Disney as usual will choose to profit from the DVC members supposedly they are only allowed 'cost recovery' but as members we were never privy to the basis for the cost.

And its not going to be just a minute it will be closer to 5 min per room meaning at most 20 rooms can be trash serviced per hour per mousekeeper

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Remember trash and towel was every 4 days so only 25% of the rooms were visited at all, Now 100% of the rooms need to be visited that's going to require close to a 50% increase in mousekeeper FTE's and Disney as usual will choose to profit from the DVC members supposedly they are only allowed 'cost recovery' but as members we were never privy to the basis for the cost.

And its not going to be just a minute it will be closer to 5 min per room meaning at most 20 rooms can be trash serviced per hour per mousekeeper
I don’t know if it’s a 50% increase but there will in theory be more work to do. Check-in and check-out is staggered during the week so on any given day there is likely to be a maid cart on your floor anyway even if they don’t visit your room. Now they just have to enter the room when they walk by and grab the trash. 5 minutes may be the averaged but some rooms could be less depending on size and amount of trash. A studio without overflowing trash cans isn’t going to take more than a minute or 2. A 2 bedroom villa with 3 bathrooms may take 5 minutes +.

correcaminos

5 minutes? Sounds high. A few elsewhere are reporting less than a minute in the rooms and not done by mousekeeping always. You also are assuming that all people staying are getting towel service. Not everyone stays that long. So trying to blindly find numbers on this will be difficult.

nickys

Premium Member
Wonder if Disney will accept responsibility if their employees help themselves to our personal property while empting trash. Guess I'm bring extra locks and repack my valuables daily.... Won't feel like home away from home anymore..... Just saying

Why would they be anymore likely to do this whilst emptying trash then when they do the trash and towels or full cleaning?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wonder if Disney will accept responsibility if their employees help themselves to our personal property while empting trash. Guess I'm bring extra locks and repack my valuables daily.... Won't feel like home away from home anymore..... Just saying
Paranoid much? They could go into your room at any time in the past, regardless of a sign on the door. Nothing has changed about that. The only time they can’t enter is when you’re in the room with the latch lock closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom