D23: The D stands for Disappointing (Updated)

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I'm sure the word immersive was said a record number of times.

The other threads are getting too cluttered like the decks of Titanic before they revised the design to have less lifeboats, so here's what I found was announced:

- Immersive Mona Water Fountain in Epcot. Not a ride. Not worth even mentioning.

- Disney cheaping out on entertainment to the point of making an immersive TV show about its poor cast members. A new immersive low.

- Avengers Campus. Nothing we didn't already know about this likely disappointing but immersive addition to DCA aside from the name. It's still going to be a second Midway Mania, stores and an immersive bar.

- Star Wars: Galactic Spaceship hotel at WDW. It's so immersive, you'll actually believe you're in a spaceship among the stars rather than a swamp full of alligators. It's just so...immersive!

EDIT:

- Rise of the Immersiveness got a plug. People are looking forward to this one and it will really decide whether Galaxy Edge is just a preposterously self-indulgent boring disaster or at least a place worth visiting for a cool cutting edge immersive E Ticket.

- Mickey's Immersive Train Ride in 2022. The ride cars resemble an unimmersive kiddie train at a local mall, but I don't know. It might be good. A new immersive ride for Toontown that's apparently an immersive E Ticket at Hollywood Studios? Toontown still in existence? I can't believe it.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The other threads are getting too cluttered like the decks of Titanic before they revised the design to have less lifeboats, so here's what I found was announced:

- Immersive Mona Water Fountain in Epcot. Not a ride. Not worth even mentioning.

- Disney cheaping out on entertainment to the point of making an immersive TV show about its poor cast members. A new immersive low.

- Avengers Campus. Nothing we didn't already know about this likely disappointing but immersive addition to DCA aside from the name. It's still going to be a second Midway Mania, stores and an immersive bar.

- Star Wars: Galactic Spaceship hotel at WDW. It's so immersive, you'll actually believe you're in a spaceship among the stars rather than a swamp full of alligators. It's just so...immersive!

Did I miss anything?
If there’s two words that are smokescreens these days...they are “immersive” and “experience”

Both mean a lack of physical builds and a potential to charge more

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Did I miss anything?

Rumored price on this gem is $3,300 for a single or $7,700 for a room of 5 for 2 nights, 3 days.

And of course...that’s basic, trash monster deck rooms...bridge is of course “club level” with the ability of admiral piett to not be able to override the dining system to get you into Cinderella’s for breakfast 😉

...talk amongst yourselves...

TP2000

It's a walk-thru water splash zone in the swamps that will smell badly of mildew within a month of opening. Two months after opening the most complicated water fountains will be broken. Mona! :rolleyes:

Disney's HR and Legal will thoroughly scrub this documentary to remove any hint of CM interest like the old Mouse Tales books had. Zzzz... 😴

Avengers Campus. It sounds like a cheap online university.

And like any university without the football, pep rallies, keg parties, and sex, it's just as satisfying. :(

And for only $1,500 per night, not including continental breakfast and valet parking.
And did you see how short that skirt was on that lady Imagineer who talked it up on the YouTube? Sinful! :eek:

Did I miss anything?

Aside from the UK pavilion carousel (surprise!) and whatever they do with the MetLife pavilion, you summed it up very nicely, thank you.

I'm still down in San Diego and I'm now extra glad that I didn't buy a ticket and drive back up there for this one. Although there was a 36 hour window earlier this week where I was seriously considering going on Sunday and wandering around the exhibit halls wearing a t-shirt that said "I am TP2000! How may I help you?"

But I think I'll just stay in La Jolla and barbecue something, and check in on Sunday afternoon after Mr. Chapek gives his resignation speech. This seems to be one of the most underwhelming D23 Expo's they have had. In the Bob Chapek era, that probably shouldn't be surprising.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

I’m actually feeling disgusted.

It seems the life and magic promised for Galaxy’s Edge wasn’t cut afterall. It was just moved to the hotel, with a thousand dollar price tag.

That disgusts me. It really does. The land should have the features, not the boutique hotel.

This is truly a sad era we’re in.

thenerdbaker

I’m actually feeling disgusted.

It seems the life and magic promised for Galaxy’s Edge wasn’t cut afterall. It was just moved to the hotel, with a thousand dollar price tag.

That disgusts me. It really does. The land should have the features, not the boutique hotel.

This is truly a sad era we’re in.
I kind of have to agree with this. Seems like they put all the eggs in the hotel basket because they will get better returns on it. It is funny they have a model of the hotel that I'm sure will actually just be a big box.

MickeySoCal

The documentary is probably in response to the Abigail Disney story.

Cheaping out is sadly what Bob Chapek does, it's been his whole career and sadly it has largely worked. Lots of business managers cut budgets in huge organizations to push up profit for a short time. It works as long as they keep moving up the corporate ladder.

Chapek has been head of Parks and Resorts long enough for some of the budget cuts to catch up to him. He probably didn't expect that since Iger was originally slated to retire in late 2017 when he took the job at P&R.

I'm not sure I'd trust the hype about Avengers Campus either, SW:GE had a large budget and lots of design elements that were systematically cut by its opening.

Time will tell.

BubbaQuest

I know I'm gonna get flogged for this, but.....

I'm excited about the changes coming to Epcot. At least *something* is happening there. Last time I went, it was about as exciting as an abandoned shopping mall.

I know, I shouldn't get too excited about concept art being drawn on top of old concept art, but hey look, new concept art!!!!!

Rich T

Apple giving me a color-changing virtual credit card (and a physical one that apparently shouldn’t touch leather or denim #ThatssoApple) was more exciting for me than this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom