D23 Parks and Resort Panel 2019

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They probably announced Target like that because they promised it to make the deal. What other reason would it have been other than to fill time because they got cold feet about announcing things to early. Either way that presentation was way to long.
While the main fandom reason for watching is the Parks updates, its no longer just a Parks presentation. Its the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products presentation. This happened when they merged several divisions together with Parks and Resorts last year.

So for all the complaining it wasn't Parks related, it actually makes sense why the Target presentation was done during that time.

thenerdbaker

While the main fandom reason for watching is the Parks updates, its no longer just a Parks presentation. Its the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products presentation. This happened when they merged several divisions together with Parks and Resorts last year.

So for all the complaining it wasn't Parks related, it actually makes sense why the Target presentation was done during that time.
I completely understand that. Just don't think it should have taken up so much time but as I said the whole thing was way to long. They have a blog and other media outlets so they could honestly do a presentation that is more bullet points with details on blogs. I also watch E3 conferences and they do the same thing though so it's probably just an issue with companies doing this in general.

bryanfze55

"Walt Disney Imagineers are increasingly emphasizing interactive elements and play-based experiences,"

Man I hate this so much. Pretty much every classic Disney attraction is the exact opposite of this.

One thing of interest I’ll note is that they seem to be moving in the direction of making everything “your story.” While this may or may not be a good thing and seems a bit forced, some of the classic Fantasyland attractions were like this. Alice in Wonderland and Snow White’s Scary Adventure opened without any Alice/Snow White animatronics because the rider was supposed to be Alice/Snow White. It was your journey through the story.

Granted, people didn’t like that so Disney eventually added the animatronics. You’d think they would have learned. People don’t want to embark on their own story in a theme park; we just want an animatronic Yoda that will poke us with his stick.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I completely understand that. Just don't think it should have taken up so much time but as I said the whole thing was way to long. They have a blog and other media outlets so they could honestly do a presentation that is more bullet points with details on blogs. I also watch E3 conferences and they do the same thing though so it's probably just an issue with companies doing this in general.
Well Chapek was the former head of Consumer Products. So he probably created this deal himself. Which is why he probably wanted it done during his presentation rather than in some blog post.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've got a particularly lame target in my county. They never seem to restock anything and the employees all look bored out of their minds -- when they're not loudly complaining about their lives to other employees and having no discretion about cursing in front of the customers.
So how are things in Huntington, Wv these days?
I don’t think people are upset about the Target in general, but more so the fact that Disney announced this on a D23 stage.
I think it’s both

...but that concept is still as stupid today as the day they announced it 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One thing of interest I’ll note is that they seem to be moving in the direction of making everything “your story.” While this may or may not be a good thing and seems a bit forced, some of the classic Fantasyland attractions were like this. Alice in Wonderland and Snow White’s Scary Adventure opened without any Alice/Snow White animatronics because the rider was supposed to be Alice/Snow White. It was your journey through the story.

Granted, people didn’t like that so Disney eventually added the animatronics. You’d think they would have learned. People don’t want to embark on their own story in a theme park; we just want an animatronic Yoda that will poke us with his stick.
...I bet it’s cheaper too...

All “interact”...no engineering or design innovation.

Not like Disney ever did that...
...wait...this just in...turns out that’s the hallmark of their parks. Who knew?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

My personal opinion was that they didn't make if obvious back then that you were suppose to be the main character. Which is why guests didn't understand or like it, because its like where is Snow White. But with the new experiences they make it obvious that its you as the star of the story. Plus its not about you playing the main character, its about you have the experience as yourself.

bryanfze55

My personal opinion was that they didn't make if obvious back then that you were suppose to be the main character. Which is why guests didn't understand or like it, because its like where is Snow White. But with the new experiences they make it obvious that its you as the star of the story. Plus its not about you playing the main character, its about you have the experience as yourself.

Whatever the case may be, I think Disney has excelled on both fronts and can continue to do so with the proper management and Imagineering.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain... you’re little more than a passerby watching a story unfold before your eyes. These rides don’t require a 5-minute preshow to explain the attraction. Yet these are the premier theme park rides, IMO.

Contrarily, Radiator Springs Racers... you’re going through a dark ride but also partaking in a race. Tower of Terror, you’re woven into the story.

I think both styles work, and I’m happy to wait and see how Avengers “Campus” (cringe) turns out before rushing to judgment. It might be a fun land.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Whatever the case may be, I think Disney has excelled on both fronts and can continue to do so with the proper management and Imagineering.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain... you’re little more than a passerby watching a story unfold before your eyes. These rides don’t require a 5-minute preshow to explain the attraction. Yet these are the premier theme park rides, IMO.

Contrarily, Radiator Springs Racers... you’re going through a dark ride but also partaking in a race. Tower of Terror, you’re woven into the story.

I think both styles work, and I’m happy to wait and see how Avengers “Campus” (cringe) turns out before rushing to judgment. It might be a fun land.
I think there is room for both in the Disney Parks. They are going in this direction to add more of the "personal interaction" into the Parks. One day they will hopefully swing back in the other direction.

tonymu

Premium Member
Don't worry the new Target at Flamingo Crossings is scheduled to open in 2021, unless they get behind on the remodels or have technical issues with the wifi in the 25 mini Disney Stores within a store, which will cause them to reallocate their forces to those locations and push back the opening in Flamingo Crossings to 2023! 🤣

SSG

Here are the locations of the First 25 Disney stores at Target.
  • Allen North #2516 (Allen, Texas)
  • Austin NW #1797 (Austin, Texas)
  • Bozeman #1237 (Bozeman, Montana)
  • Brighton #922 (Brighton, Michigan)
  • Chicago Brickyard #1924 (Chicago, Illinois)
  • Clearwater #1820 (Clearwater, Florida)
  • Denver Stapleton #2052 (Denver, Colorado)
  • Edmond #1398 (Edmond, Oklahoma)
  • Euless #1368 (Euless, Texas)
  • Houston North Central #1458 (Spring, Texas)
  • Jacksonville Mandarin #1300 (Jacksonville, Florida)
  • Keizer #2110 (Keizer, Oregon)
  • Lake Stevens #1331 (Lake Stevens, Washington)
  • Leesburg #1874 (Leesburg, Virginia)
  • Loveland #1178 (Loveland, Colorado)
  • Maple Grove North #2193 (Maple Grove, Minnesota)
  • Mobile West #1376 (Mobile, Alabama)
  • Murrieta #1283 (Murrieta, California)
  • New Lenox #2028 (New Lenox, Illinois)
  • Pasadena #1396 (Pasadena, Texas)
  • Philadelphia West #2124 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
  • San Jose College Park #2088 (San Jose, California)
  • South Jordan #2123 (South Jordan, Utah)
  • Stroudsburg #1260 (Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania)
  • Waterford Park #2068 (Clarksville, Indiana)

Rich T

Here's what people want at a theme park: They want to go in as themselves and experience fun rides that place them in the "role" of theme park guest about to experience something out of the ordinary.

That's it. That's all. That's plenty! How hard is that?!? :D

Rich T

My lame Target missed out. Well, that's that-- I'm just gonna have to move to Euless!

TROR

Original Poster
With all those Texas locations, maybe they should go ahead and build a Disney park in Texas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom