D23 Expo Announcements?

NoChesterHester

Original Poster
At the last expo they announced FLE and Star Tours 2...

I would have thought that the big reveal this time would be Shanghai, but that event has already occurred.

Any early speculation as to what Parks and Resorts will save for the big expo audience? We will likely get more details and models o the FLE in the exhibits, but there is no way there won't be some sort of announcement with the rabid fanbase all in attendance.

I remember the Fantasyland news breaking online a couple months before the expo, but I don't remember exactly when.

Early thoughts? Predictions?

FigmentJedi

Probably give us more detail on Shanghai and more detail on Fantasyland and the Hong Kong work. Maybe a reveal for another WDW park plan, like how that Monsters Inc coaster has been rumored for the Studios. I'd love a Imagination redo, but we all know they've been twiddling their thumbs on that one for a while.

Cmdr_Crimson

I hope there will be something big for WDW since most of it was about DL in 2009...And I just booked my trip out there to go to the expo...So Excited!!

Thrill Seeker

Updates on existing projects (DCA, Hyperion Warf, Fantasyland, Shanghai, Hong Kong ) plus (and these are my speculations):

1. Tomorrowland Revamp at Disneyland
2. Monster's Inc Coaster at DHS
3. Soarin' Over The World at Epcot, DCA and DLP
4. (Dark Horse Candidate) Animal Kingdom Expansion

Disneyland is probably gonna have a major announcement and a Tomorrowland revamp seems the most likely candidate. New Peoplemover would lead the charge with possibly a Tron E-Ticket to replace Innoventions and MILF replacing Captain EO coming as well.

Florida hopefully won't be left out. Since DCA already has a Monsters Inc ride (and MILF possibly coming later), the Coaster project would be a WDW exclusive for now at DHS...

Soarin' is getting kinda old, so unveiling a new version would help boost DCA and Epcot. I can also see Soarin' finally revealed to be coming to Paris as well. The new one would feature IMAX video of high profile destinations from around the world and authentic smells and sounds from each area.

With work on Fantasyland still ongoing, I doubt they will reveal another major park expansion this year...but you never know. If they were going to, I could see Animal Kingdom finally getting it's much needed due. A modified Beastly Kingdom with Journey to the Center of the Earth as the anchor or Australia would be the most likely candidates for the expansion, but which one (if either) would be the question.

There ya are. Some good sounding speculation.

MansionGoer13z

Updates on existing projects (DCA, Hyperion Warf, Fantasyland, Shanghai, Hong Kong ) plus (and these are my speculations):

Disneyland is probably gonna have a major announcement and a Tomorrowland revamp seems the most likely candidate. New Peoplemover would lead the charge with possibly a Tron E-Ticket to replace Innoventions and MILF replacing Captain EO coming as well.

Florida hopefully won't be left out. Since DCA already has a Monsters Inc ride (and MILF possibly coming later), the Coaster project would be a WDW exclusive for now at DHS...

Soarin' is getting kinda old, so unveiling a new version would help boost DCA and Epcot. I can also see Soarin' finally revealed to be coming to Paris as well. The new one would feature IMAX video of high profile destinations from around the world and authentic smells and sounds from each area.

With work on Fantasyland still ongoing, I doubt they will reveal another major park expansion this year...but you never know. If they were going to, I could see Animal Kingdom finally getting it's much needed due. A modified Beastly Kingdom with Journey to the Center of the Earth as the anchor or Australia would be the most likely candidates for the expansion, but which one (if either) would be the question.

Like it, but I'm a little hesitant on Austrailia being a land. I like the idea of Central/South America/Amazon a bit better.

PirateFrank

The more Uni expands WWOHP, the less I see AK adding Beastly Kingdom....even though some could argue that it's exactly what AK needs.

I just don't see an AK expansion of any sort being announced this year. Monsters Inc coaster maybe.....whatever it is it needs to eat enough people of all ages to take the load off of the poorly planned TSM.

RSoxNo1

Some thoughts:

By the time the D23 Expo happens Star Tours 2.0 will be open. If the lasts D23 project is any indication it will be a good place to announce one long term project and one short term project.

My hope is that the short term project is Soarin' Over the World. If announced in August 2011 it could realistically open in 2013, no? The question then becomes - do they feel the same way about taking Soarin' offline as they do about taking Everest off line? I know Epcot can absorb it more, but there are those amongst us (myself included) that need Soarin' in that park to make me want to visit more than once a trip.

The long term project needs to be something for the Animal Kingdom - however the latest rumblings have me believe that nothing substantial is that close to the Animal Kingdom. I would be less surprised if any of the following were announced over an Animal Kingdom expansion:
  • Monster's Inc Coaster in DHS - I've been amongst those that think this will ultimately NOT get built, but the prep work has been done and it could be put up quickly relatively speaking.
  • Ratatouille Dark Ride - I wouldn't be shocked to see this go into DHS or Epcot
  • Carsland - presumably a modified version but I think if this comes to DHS it wouldn't be announced until the 2013 Expo at the earliest
  • Tron Coaster to MK, Epcot or DHS - Our insiders say its dead but if they actual bought two of them, the second one has to go somewhere.

DaGoof00

I would say:

1.) Monster's Inc. Roller Coaster at DHS
2.) Jungle Cruise/Adventureland revamp
3.) Something New for EPCOT - Soarin' Over the World/Another surprise
4.) Agreed its a dark horse, but AK expansion

Fractal514

I'm sure there will be announcements for other resorts, but I only care about WDW, so....

I think the Monsters Inc. Coaster is a safe bet, just my instinct.
Soarin over the World, would be great, but my gut isn't feeling it.

I think a new ride for Animal Kingdom is more likely than a new land.

And I would absolutely love if they announced a new country to world showcase, but that's just a dream.

lazyboy97o

My hope is that the short term project is Soarin' Over the World. If announced in August 2011 it could realistically open in 2013, no? The question then becomes - do they feel the same way about taking Soarin' offline as they do about taking Everest off line? I know Epcot can absorb it more, but there are those amongst us (myself included) that need Soarin' in that park to make me want to visit more than once a trip.
I do not think a new film would require a prolonged closure of the attraction, especially if it comes along with a new one being built at Walt Disney Studios Park, where they could do all of the big work on programming the motions. I believe Soarin' uses film, so there is probably also a desire to switch to synchronized digital projectors, but the queue would not need (goign back to the open loftiness would be nice, but is not necessary) significant rebuilding except as a visual show of something new and different. Doing the work one theater at a time would also keep the attraction operating, although at a reduced capacity.

NoChesterHester

Original Poster

Star Tours held crowds and a wait time for almost 20 years. I believe the update would have happened sooner if the crowds would have dropped.

Soarin holds a 60 minute wait time as a minimum. Hard to believe they would spend big bucks to update the most popular attraction in the park.

We have been told that Imagination refurb plans exist. I would guess that Imagination will be released to move forward prior to seeing another Soarin' film.

menamechris

I personally hope that there are some great announcements and surprises at the Expo this year. Would love to hear about a couple new attractions/updates coming to WDW. My intuition is telling me different though. I think everyone will just be briefed on what we already know. I think Disney will want to hold off on making any major annoucements this year. I would bet that they don't want to get themselves into a position where they are EXPECTED to make major annoucements every year. Just a thought...

MKCP 1985

1. Pins

2. Vinylmation

3. Boy Bands

4. Pink glitter

:lookaroun

Okay, now seriously:

Spoilers on Fantasyland Forest - new details on attractions in development :shrug:

misterID

Some thoughts:

By the time the D23 Expo happens Star Tours 2.0 will be open. If the lasts D23 project is any indication it will be a good place to announce one long term project and one short term project.

The long term project needs to be something for the Animal Kingdom - however the latest rumblings have me believe that nothing substantial is that close to the Animal Kingdom. I would be less surprised if any of the following were announced over an Animal Kingdom expansion:
  • Monster's Inc Coaster in DHS - I've been amongst those that think this will ultimately NOT get built, but the prep work has been done and it could be put up quickly relatively speaking.
  • Ratatouille Dark Ride - I wouldn't be shocked to see this go into DHS or Epcot
  • Carsland - presumably a modified version but I think if this comes to DHS it wouldn't be announced until the 2013 Expo at the earliest
  • Tron Coaster to MK, Epcot or DHS - Our insiders say its dead but if they actual bought two of them, the second one has to go somewhere.

The TRON coasters will likely land in Shanghai and DL.

What in the world could possibly be the excuse TDO, or whoever, is using that AK doesn't need anything substantial? :mad:

And I'd like to see Ratatouille ride in EPCOT.

TP2000

Some thoughts:

By the time the D23 Expo happens Star Tours 2.0 will be open. If the lasts D23 project is any indication it will be a good place to announce one long term project and one short term project...

Good thoughts there!

I think it's also important to realize the different venues and formats that the "big announcements" were made at the '09 Expo. The excitement for theme park fans came from two parts of the Expo; the 75,000+ square foot Disney Parks Pavilion Hosted by Walt Disney Imagineering in Exhibit Hall C, and the 10,000 seat Anaheim Arena on the opposite end of the convention center.

The Anaheim Arena was the site for the highly anticipated Jay Rasulo presentation on day two where he finally admitted that the rumors of Fantasyland Expansion were true. He then lifted the veil on the first round of FLE concept art (some of it no longer valid), and the Star Tours 2.0 project with some new concept art. That was all Jay formally announced in his presentation, but the FLE confirmation was a biggie.

Over in the Parks Pavilion, Imagineering set up a tour de force experience that really tooted their own horn on all that WDI has done, and all that it is currently working on (that has been announced). The Parks Pavilion had about a third of its space dedicated to big, sprawling displays of previously announced projects like Cars Land, Aulani, and Hong Kong expansion. The rest was a series of displays about the technology and artistry that goes in to all of their big projects, and it had the feel of a very polished and lavish big city science museum.

With that, I would expect the '11 Expo to follow the same '09 format. Tom Staggs will host a keynote presentation in the Anaheim Arena, and Staggs may officially admit to one or two of the projects that have been kicking around the online rumor community. But we're four months out, and there's no hot rumor burning up the message boards yet like we had in '09 with FLE and Star Tours. :lookaroun

Instead of rumor confirmation, maybe Tom will fill in his talk-time with some unreleased but still very vague artwork for Shanghai, and maybe some spoken comments about a couple of the ride concepts unique to that park? I can understand the resistance to put accurate artwork and details out about Shanghai though, what with the Chinese penchant for blatantly copying ideas and products with little legal recourse with their Communist government. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, over at the 2011 Parks Pavilion... I would expect to see a few big displays with models and artwork of some of the big projects already under construction. 2011's pavilion should finally allow the public to see a fully fleshed out and large model of the New Fantasyland. I would also think the Buena Vista Street project at DCA, a large-scale construction project in its own right, would also get floor space for models and artwork. And techno stuff about the NextGen queue concept appearing at more and more attractions.

What I hope they don't change at the Parks Pavilion, however, is that nifty Magic Portal entrance that allowed you in to the pavilion and on to the first big Cars Land display. Can you imagine this dramatic entrance revealing a big, detailed Fantasyland Expansion floor model to pour over?!?... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUSmkdNF-zM

RSoxNo1

I do not think a new film would require a prolonged closure of the attraction, especially if it comes along with a new one being built at Walt Disney Studios Park, where they could do all of the big work on programming the motions. I believe Soarin' uses film, so there is probably also a desire to switch to synchronized digital projectors, but the queue would not need (goign back to the open loftiness would be nice, but is not necessary) significant rebuilding except as a visual show of something new and different. Doing the work one theater at a time would also keep the attraction operating, although at a reduced capacity.

That's a fair point, but if they have found a way to switch from film to digital I can only assume it would require downtime, or at least partial downtime (one screen updated, then the other).

I think the entrance should move from The Land to a long queue leading from the Canada side of World Showcase, but I think that's unlikely.

Star Tours held crowds and a wait time for almost 20 years. I believe the update would have happened sooner if the crowds would have dropped.

Soarin holds a 60 minute wait time as a minimum. Hard to believe they would spend big bucks to update the most popular attraction in the park.

We have been told that Imagination refurb plans exist. I would guess that Imagination will be released to move forward prior to seeing another Soarin' film.

This is a fair point, except Star Tours dropped significantly before the update. Soarin' may be a function of the new footage going into Paris and it being logical for Florida as well.

I should say that an overhaul to the Imagination Pavilion were to come about that involved the Pooh's Hunny Hunt ride system (perhaps the multi-level version rumored for Ratatouille) I would be ecstatic.

The TRON coasters will likely land in Shanghai and DL.

What in the world could possibly be the excuse TDO, or whoever, is using that AK doesn't need anything substantial? :mad:

And I'd like to see Ratatouille ride in EPCOT.

Yeah, if there were two coasters ordered I'd say Disneyland is the likely spot, however when Lee was on our show he said that something else was considered for Disneyland with a Tron theme.

With that, I would expect the '11 Expo to follow the same '09 format. Tom Staggs will host a keynote presentation in the Anaheim Arena, and Staggs may officially admit to one or two of the projects that have been kicking around the online rumor community. But we're four months out, and there's no hot rumor burning up the message boards yet like we had in '09 with FLE and Star Tours. :lookaroun

I believe the Fantasyland blueprints leaked in June, so there's still a few months leading up to the Expo for rumors to pick up steam.

lazyboy97o

That's a fair point, but if they have found a way to switch from film to digital I can only assume it would require downtime, or at least partial downtime (one screen updated, then the other).
On a recent episode of The Season Pass Podcast they interviewed Steve Alcorn (of Alcorn McBride, Inc. and author of Building A Better Mouse: The Story Of The Electronic Imagineers Who Designed Epcot and Theme Park Design: Behind The Scenes With An Engineer) who said that The Simpsons Ride uses multiple 1080p digital projectors to fill those screens. I do not know much about video projection, but I do not see why a similar setup could not be made to work for Soarin' (unless the ride equipment would get in the way or something like that).

NoChesterHester

Original Poster
It sure seems that they have been heavy on the announcements the past 18 months. Some of them, like the HM refurb, weren't really leaked until construction walls started going up. It may be a factor of Disney really working hard to control the story in this age of message boards and twitter. They seem to be putting on a concerted effort to keep the actual plans under wraps until dirt starts moving.

There is really so much going on from a construction and refurbishment standpoint that it is hard to imagine that any sort of large scale expansion, like what AK so desperately needs, would be announced. In saying that however, I also find it hard to believe they won't capitalize on the captive rabid audience somehow. I believe there will be some sort of announcement.

My feeling is that we will get a smallish announcement like the return of a refurbished Spectromagic and something else. The most obvious attraction to get dusted off would be the Monster's Inc coaster. Lee or Martin however posted some time back a good list of shelved projects. It really could be something that we have all been waiting on for a while.

Could it be something they have been able to completely keep under wraps? Are they that good at plugging the "leaks" to capture some excitement?

jt04

This is a great wish list and great reasoning. We certainly agree and I would be ecstatic if all this was announced. But I keep rembering Iger talking about cutting back on capital expenditures. Was that a bluff for the competition?

Anyway, I do think we can add some DVC announcements to the list as strong possibilities. Those rumors have been floating around here for awhile now.

If I could pick any of these it would be Austrailia for DAK. That would be a great addition and would set the course for the future of the park to have the lands based on continents. It would probably seem a bit forced but converting Dinorama, and the area around Nemo, to Austrailia seems the way to go. Or possibly removing the theater and relocating the show to another park or even DTD to use that area as an expansion pad or transition.

I think if they do a JTTCOTE and/or 20K theme it would not be called Beastly Kingdom but instead would be Mysterious Island or something along those lines. I'm not too optimistic this is still on the table. Although the movie is moving forward so who knows? A 2013 announcement seems more likely if the movie is a hit and becomes a trilogy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom