News D23 Expo 2019

nickys

Premium Member
Let’s recap and score what was actually announced at the expo and parks panel..

Epcot
Neighborhoods announced. - new but rumored
SSE changes - new. Future refurb was rumored, but no details
Celebration details - name, details, new art - all new. Before we only had the art when they announced the spline and entrance change.
Walt statue - new announcement including art
Moana experience - new announcement, including name and art
Guardians ride - new art, significant new details, name announced - all new
Space restaurant - new name announced. New details (confirmation) on elevator concept
Land film - previously announced
Play pavilion - previous info (don’t think there was any new art there? Maybe the exterior shot is new)
Uk - new cherry tree lane announced, including art. New attraction mentioned, but no details
New China film - previously announced, but new details on being seamless?
France film sing along - previously announced
Canada film - new? Don’t remember
France - new restaurant change - new I believe?
France - art recap - previously announced, but opening window announced -new?
Lagoon show - new name, new art, new details, new song

Genie app - new

Star Wars hotel
Name - new
New art
Experience details revealed - new
Lightsaber training details - new

New wdw hotel - previously announced, but new art and details
New restaurant at hotel revealed - new

Dlr
Avenger campus name revealed - new
Spider-Man ride revealed - new (but previously leaked)
Land art - new (but previously leaked)
Shops and food detail - new (but previously leaked)
Wakana e ticket - new (rumored)
M&g character list - new
Dr strange attraction - new (but previously leaked)

Dlp
Marvel hotel overlay - previously announced but new details and art

Target partnership - new
Cirque show - new
Cirque opening date - new

Hkdl
Castle expansion - new art and details
New castle shows. - new I believe
KNew bbb - new?
Castle name - new
Frozen area - new attraction announcements and details (not sure if the two rides were previously known/rumored)

Shanghi
Zootopia land. - previously announced
Zootopia attraction teased and new art - new

Dlr
New parade announced - new
New parade name and art - new
Parade song revealed - new
Parade general opening period announced - new
Mickey attraction - new art, new queue details

Dhs
Mickey attraction exterior art - new
Look inside the Mickey attraction - new
Mickey attraction ride vehicle - reveal, but known and shown orior
New rotr visuals - new (but concepts largely leaked)

Dcl
New ship name and character. - new
New ship interior art - new (I believe)
New port of call - new (but previously known through other channels)
New details on development of lighthole point and joe r assignment - new

50th logo - new
50th events - teases, but mentions doing things in all parks - new

Make a wish - recap

And people moaning about the target news.... don’t forget consumer products and parks were merged corporate wise.

Please help correct any of the info above. I think when you look at it, the list is huge!

But you can understand why maybe some didn’t care for the amount of time they spent on some segments they didn’t care about... like target, cirque, lighthouse point, and MAW.

Edits:
New Epcot logo - new

An awful lot of what you listed was already know here. How were you distinguishing between “new” and “rumoured”?

For example, here’s just some of the stuff that our insiders had already told us about:

Moana water feature; Space 220 name had been known for months, and the space elevator was known about; the name of the new fireworks show, the festival centre and the GotG ride had all been dropped in the prior couple of days; the layout of the whole Spine area had been sketched out; we already knew about the China and Canada films and the technology it would use; the new entrance to SSE was known; the creperie was already announced; Cirque was already known; we knew there would be three parts to FW and approximate names were dropped.

Yet you had none of that even marked as rumoured.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

I was agreeing with you but just adding it wasn’t because they care about the new president in Brazil or the fires in the Amazon. If they did they wouldn’t be expanding in Hong Kong and mainland China.
And yes, “pop-culture elitists”, the people who control the narrative by having the loudest voice on twitter, late night and music, who will express outrage about transgender bathrooms, fires in the Amazon ir any other current topic that’s socially hip to get outraged about, but won’t shed a tear or raise a voice against human rights atrocities in India, China........
But I agree with your point of why Disney MIGHT have backed out. My point was it would be nice to show some backbone instead of constantly being enslaved and afraid of the pop-culture narrative and constantly faux outraged on social media

I mean, there are people that legitimately care about all those things...

But it is true that the higher-ups at Disney aren't exactly making decisions out of the goodness of their hearts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
An awful lot of what you listed was already know here. How were you distinguishing between “new” and “rumoured”?

Very simple... what had not been publicly shared by Disney was marked as 'new'.

Just because it's not new to people following leaks and rumors - that doesn't make it a non-announcement by Disney.

As to what was marked rumor or not - I do not claim to be on top of all discussions, so that area is soft.. and you need to distinguish between 'hint of' and what was actually revealed. For instance, I know Moana was being floated around.. but AFAIK no one had leaked the specific design of a water feature thing in Future world.. or did I miss that? I think not.. given all the wild speculation of what the attraction was to be when it was announced live..

I welcome corrections to the list... but lets be objective about it. Just knowing 'moana is being discussed' is not the same thing as knowing what was announced.

RobbinsDad

So help me out there, thread.

What pre-D23 rumors ended up being wrong (or at least went unannounced)?

WDWMagic's own pre-D23 article mentioned "an addition to Blizzard Beach is expected, although it may not be announced at the Expo."

And the site which shall not be named proudly proclaimed the Brazil pavilion was "all but confirmed" two days before the parks panel.

I'm just trying to differentiate between what fans expected to be announced and what rumor sites and the "insiders" actually mentioned before the Expo that weren't announced.
Mister Penguin does a great job at organizing the various credible rumors by insiders in his thread. As for what the "fans" expected, to get that answered I think you'd have to first differentiate between fans who research information beforehand to anticipate potential announcements, and those who go in blind. Assuming you mean the latter, then you could easily get that information by comparing Mister Penguin's thread of rumored additions vs. those Disney has publicly-announced.

KBLovedDisney

Can we also bring up the horrid "I've waited my whole life for this" girl in the Galaxy's edge commercial they keep throwing out on tv lately....The way they make her act when shes in the ship in this is just like shes about to destroy worlds of some sort...
disneyland-star-wars-galaxys-edge-are-you-ready-large-3.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That's difficult to answer. Our Trusted Insiders give us a lot of heads up on the projects themselves, but often don't know what's being planned to be announced. Their contacts aren't necessarily in marketing. They wind up saying very little about what's going to be announced when except for a few things maybe a few days ahead of time.

This is why the badgering of our insiders months and months before D23 is not helpful at all.

nickys

Premium Member
Very simple... what had not been publicly shared by Disney was marked as 'new'.

Just because it's not new to people following leaks and rumors - that doesn't make it a non-announcement by Disney.

As to what was marked rumor or not - I do not claim to be on top of all discussions, so that area is soft.. and you need to distinguish between 'hint of' and what was actually revealed. For instance, I know Moana was being floated around.. but AFAIK no one had leaked the specific design of a water feature thing in Future world.. or did I miss that? I think not.. given all the wild speculation of what the attraction was to be when it was announced live..

I welcome corrections to the list... but lets be objective about it. Just knowing 'moana is being discussed' is not the same thing as knowing what was announced.

Initially we were told (on here) that there would be a new Moana themed fountain. That was later updated to a Moana themed “water maze” leading us to The Seas.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Initially we were told (on here) that there would be a new Moana themed fountain. That was later updated to a Moana themed “water maze” leading us to The Seas.

Yeah, literally the week of Expo :) . Ok, I'll put rumored next to that one. Anything else?

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah, literally the week of Expo :) . Ok, I'll put rumored next to that one. Anything else?

Oh, so how long before hand does it need to have been known before it counts then?

Space 220 and the elevator, the fact that a new Cirque show was announced as coming months ago (which you had as new I think). The films and technology were discussed long before O Canada closed. The Creperie has been in the Disney Parks Blog a few months ago.

For the SW resort, it’s been said on here since it was first announced that it was a fixed duration “cruise”. The rest of the internet may be in melt down about that, but anyone who had read the threads on here cannot have been in any doubt that was what was always intended. I’d say the only new thing there was the name of the resort.

Anders Limpar

If you are gonna bring out Richard Van Dijk and the Step In Time dancers and make a big spectacle of things, I woulda thought you might reveal more information about the attraction coming to the new MP area. Guess not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh, so how long before hand does it need to have been known before it counts then?

Again, the distinction is simple... Did Disney announce it? So time is irrelevant to that label.

And in the case of moana, it wasn't until very recently that 'what' it would be was more clear.. and not really without consensus.. so confirmation there is a lot more impactful than say.. avengers campus where we had the exact working images from Disney leaked.

>Space 220 and the elevator -- Those details were only rumored, not announced by Disney until now.
>the fact that a new Cirque show was announced as coming months ago (which you had as new I think) -- No, we knew 'a' cirque show was coming... not much about the show but a one sentence description. Here Disney laid out the name, style, and opening window.
>The films and technology were discussed long before O Canada closed -- Again, under what level and by whom? The point of this list was not to call out 'what is new to fans' but to differentiate between what was old vs announced vs rumored
>The Creperie has been in the Disney Parks Blog a few months ago -- Ok, I missed that one.
>For the SW resort... [...] I’d say the only new thing there was the name of the resort . -- We had new art, we had the name, we had details on some of the experiences, including the transportation and duration of stay.. lots of new confirmations there.

I'll update the list with the things you've caught. Thank you

Anders Limpar

So help me out there, thread.

WDWMagic's own pre-D23 article mentioned "an addition to Blizzard Beach is expected, although it may not be announced at the Expo."

And the site which shall not be named proudly proclaimed the Brazil pavilion was "all but confirmed" two days before the parks panel.

I'm just trying to differentiate between what fans expected to be announced and what rumor sites and the "insiders" actually mentioned before the Expo that wasn't announced.

Throughout August, a certain podcaster with initials LM was heavily hinting changes were coming to Imagination.

Mike S

So I’m here at Knott’s Berry Farm (first time) and just did the Calico Mine Train and Timber Mountain Log Ride. The only thing I could think of was “wow, a Frontierland expansion with rides about Cowboys for the 50th would’ve made me go nuts at this panel.”

Seriously Disney, how hard would it be? I’d even accept Woody and Jessie as hosts of sorts if you must!!!

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Again, the distinction is simple... Did Disney announce it? So time is irrelevant to that label.

And in the case of moana, it wasn't until very recently that 'what' it would be was more clear.. and not really without consensus.. so confirmation there is a lot more impactful than say.. avengers campus where we had the exact working images from Disney leaked.

>Space 220 and the elevator -- Those details were only rumored, not announced by Disney until now.
>the fact that a new Cirque show was announced as coming months ago (which you had as new I think) -- No, we knew 'a' cirque show was coming... not much about the show but a one sentence description. Here Disney laid out the name, style, and opening window.
>The films and technology were discussed long before O Canada closed -- Again, under what level and by whom? The point of this list was not to call out 'what is new to fans' but to differentiate between what was old vs announced vs rumored
>The Creperie has been in the Disney Parks Blog a few months ago -- Ok, I missed that one.
>For the SW resort... [...] I’d say the only new thing there was the name of the resort . -- We had new art, we had the name, we had details on some of the experiences, including the transportation and duration of stay.. lots of new confirmations there.

I'll update the list with the things you've caught. Thank you

But again, you’re not clarifying the “rumours”. Surely being stated here by the likes of @marni1971, @Magic Feather and so on count as rumours? How much more credible can rumours be?

Take the films, the fact that these were to be updated and the technology to be used were clearly stated in threads on here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But again, you’re not clarifying the “rumours”. Surely being stated here by the likes of @marni1971, @Magic Feather and so on count as rumours? How much more credible can rumours be?

Take the films, the fact that these were to be updated and the technology to be used were clearly stated in threads on here.

You're putting more weight into a 'previously unknown' distinction than I am and in what I intended. I already stated I don't keep up with every rumor... but you're asking to make a distinction between something like martin's one line tip about Moana 4 months ago... and say... someone publishing all the elevations and drawings for multiple attractions.. or tips that have become common knowledge because of age or repetition (space name). I did not set out to document 'how much detail, with how much credibility, how long ago' something was discussed... Only to highlight really what was previously announced or not.

The good often gets drowned out by the disappointment people have in something else they feel more passionate about. They throw out details because 'something bigger and more important' draws all their energy. The point was to more categorize what did Disney actually announce or not to see... was it truly lacking and short? Or was it simply people discounting news because it wasn't new to them?

capsshield

Insiders called this reveal very well. Did we get everything they've hinted at, no, but we got a lot. I suspect Disney held off on fiftieth announcements because it might do more harm than good. If you were planning a trip and found out that 4-6 attractions would be down at a time, you might wait a year to go, especially if you knew they would be greatly enhanced and you wouldn't be able to go back for several years. For this reason I think the fiftieth will be down played for a while, maybe a year or more. Marketing wants an asset not a loss.

As for Epcot, why reveal stuff that you wont get too for a year or more? The world of nature will take at least 1-2 years and make that area a nightmare. Add in closing Spaceship Earth, and Future World is a real mess. I haven't even counted the front gate or Guardians or the play pavilion, or Space restaurant.
Just speculation, but I doubt Poppins will start until the rat is open, and if it happens, Brazil won't break ground for at least 6 months to a year.
The loss of half of Innoventions probably wont start until after this holiday season or when the majority of work at the main gate is finished.

Right now there are 5 major renovations going on and 3 new movies coming. Something should wrap up before they make another mess or two especially at their construction speed.
Not getting anything announced for the other parks is a big disappointment, but again I think marketing decided to let Epcot shine in thee spotlight. I suspect there are exciting things on the table for all three of the other parks and eventually we will hear about those.

Phicinfan

I get that.

If you've read my other posts on this forum, I've made it clear I'm personally skeptical of the rumors around the Disneyverse. I understand others on this board trust what certain "insiders" say based on their track record, but I just can't put stock in their information and how it's delivered.

What I am trying to find out is who (besides the site that shall be named) was just flat out wrong about what they said would be announced at D23.

And before anyone brings it up, I don't think labeling information as a "rumor," or qualifying it with some disclaimer like "nothing's official until Disney announces it" gets anyone off the hook for dispensing information that ended up being wrong. Those people should own up to their mistakes.
You seem to want to "blame" those sharing rumors even if they qualified them stating it is rumor. That isn't fair.

What gets missed in some sites like this is , things change at the last minute, and there is no notice to share that it has changed.

some insiders state all they hear - big risk factor there
Some are more careful and only share what they really trust - but even then, Disney is Disney and they change what they want to do.

Skipper2

Ok my 2.673 cents worth. Disney like any large organization is complicated dynamic and slow/ponderous. They can and will make changes say one thing then do another. Make an announcement then not follow through. Not announce and then it just happens. Cancel for no apparent reason. Renew for same. The people we rely on for information on these boards and other sites like them can’t see into every staff meeting at every level. Where a bean counter tables an idea back for 2 quarters to keep the books in order. We don’t get to see a project get killed after 5years of R&D and feasibility studies because public sentiment changed during that time. Things happen. Our sources don’t have crystal balls and can’t see or hear everything in a organization of hundreds of thousands of people all across the country. Our sources are taking personal risk and owe no one any apologies for what does or does not transpire as it relates to information they have divulged. They don’t have to do this at all and you don’t have to read it. These are RUMORS even if a Disney corporate employee says it is happening if the information isn’t confirmed by the companies public affairs office or press officer. Therefore the classification of rumor is both warranted and factual until an event like D23 or a corporate press event makes it a fact or a fiction. Stop quibbling over the semantics. You either like getting the bits and pieces we get gifted or don’t. Personally I do, and I choose not to disparage the efforts they make. Despite how this reads I’m not irritated, just a little disappointed that this thing has come up again. They simply don’t have to give us anything.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All you have to remember is the Main Street Theater. That was announced. They started clearing the lot. Then it was silently killed. That was a project with a green light and a budget and announced and construction crews in action. Imagine how easily Disney kills projects that aren't announced, or green lit, or budgeted yet. Insiders don't have rumors, they have inside knowledge. Knowledge of stuff Disney is planning now, which can be killed tomorrow.

flynnibus

Premium Member
define what is a 'fault' tho?

Information is a dated commodity. One can be 100% accurate about the plan of record on July 1, and on July 30, the plan could change. If the information shared on July 15 is correct, but incorrect on Aug 1, is the 'insider' now considered 'wrong'? Do they have to post a correction before their information is conflicted to stay 'correct'?

Point being... information can be credible... but that doesn't mean you take it to the bank until things are actually done or to the point of no return. "Accurate" information often never leads to outcomes simply because it didn't complete the path.

What the real problem is... is when information is shared with the wrong expectation. For instance... just because someone is working on a concept or proposal... does not mean it's the plan of record! All too often this 'in progress' information is leaked and people take it as if it's a done deal and just a question of 'when'.

You can't weigh options and alternatives if you haven't worked them out and flushed them out. So just because Disney is 'working on...' something, doesn't necessarily mean much. You really need the context of what they are doing WITH that concept... and frankly that is left out most times as people are so eager to promote the information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom