News D23 Expo 2019

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There was no Christmas at all this time. NOT EVEN ONE GIFT.

It was all public information about the extremely lackluster Marvel Land. Got some awful concept art? "DISNEY IS AMAZING." Pathetic.

Same goes for EPCOT, what we got a few new names? WHO CARES. The same bloggers taking photos of their 'drinks' are the ones who appreciate a new EPCOT (ALL CAPS) logo.

Cheap queue for the Mickey Ride? Why are they trying to undersell the ride that was ALREADY SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN.

D23 IS supposed to have some announcements relating to the park. Heck, this one makes the Pixar Pier announcement awesome.

Plus, with all the press Disney is getting over fraud, planting staff to manipulate boards, Disney ruining Spiderman in the MCU, the secret project blunder which mainstream folks reported on, low wages, Uni opening A NEW FREAKING PARK, this is just a further slap in the face.

There's no way to spin this. Uni WILL eat WDW's marketshare, and I am happy about it. Disney doesn't deserve our money. Use points and fly to Japan if you want the parks before we allowed Disney to ruin them, you'll actually save money. The new park at UOR, for all its faults, will have a stellar attraction roster.

Oh and SSE? Don't be excited for it. I would be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful. Get ready for an IP-infused, sparkly mess.

Disney doesn't care about anyone. We need to stop defending them. We are the reason the swamps are the way it is.

Oh, and they try to get us not to complain because we would be attacking poor little Make a Wish kids. Disney doesn't care about them, and they certainly don't care about you.

NOT EVEN 50TH ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!

The fans should be in uproar. Convince me how a period of stagnation against Universal's third park is a good idea.

You showed up on these boards presenting yourself as an insider with sure information.

So, why are you surprised at this all? Didn't you know it already?

Oh that's right. You're not an insider at all. You only pretended to be one.

We know who you (formerly just "Walrus") are now.

ProjectXBlog

Not one good thing. Spaceship Earth is going to be a IPfest, Future World is now in tatters, a bunch of Marvel stuff that doesn't appeal to me or my parents/family, a freaking TARGET SUPERSTORE...I'm glad I'm getting out after 2020. It's Disneyland Paris for me from now on.
i didn’t see that part?

Donaldfan1934

"Fire Mountain - Starring MOANA" in Adventureland would have been better of course ... Moana deserves more than a vague walkthrough.
BB526766-E37F-4E5C-A5E4-6B14F2AF8568.jpeg

JohnD

Sorry to respond and sort of depart from the point of this threat, but the Simpsons ride certainly made me sick. I think it might have been the single most miserable ride experience I've ever been on, or at least that I can remember at the moment. Agree that the ET is fun and classic, the Mummy is really good, Hogsmeade is solid, and Diagon Alley is phenomenal. I was disappointed with Jurassic Park though. I felt a little less than ideal after Forbidden Journey, but enjoyed the ride. Gringott's was a lot of fun.

Other attractions you didn't mention that I really liked - Hogwart's Express, Hulk coaster (though painful on the face in the rain!), Spiderman, Skull Island (though maybe a little short of expectations). Flight of the Hippogriff and Despicable Me were also good. Thought the Shrek 4-D thing was also worth experiencing.

Things I'm bummed I missed out on because they weren't open given the rain or didn't have enough time (only 1 day): Rip Rock-it, Ripsaw Falls, Popeye's raft ride, Poseidon's Fury, and the Horror Make Up Show.

If had a bunch more time, would have also liked to do Transformers, Men In Black, Fast and Furious, and the Jimmy Fallon ride.

Hagrid's Motorbikes weren't there when I went, but would definitely like to experience that.

As for the whole Universal versus Disney thing bickering on this site, it's all so silly given it's all up one's own individual preferences. It's like being in a pre-school the day after Halloween when the kids of been up late gorging on candy.

There is no Uni vs Disney with me. But UOR is definitely simulator heavy. My neck was sore for a week after I went. I actually like Forbidden Journey. Something exhilarating about it. But way too many simulators in USR compared to IOA.

Steph15251

There was no Christmas at all this time. NOT EVEN ONE GIFT.

It was all public information about the extremely lackluster Marvel Land. Got some awful concept art? "DISNEY IS AMAZING." Pathetic.

Same goes for EPCOT, what we got a few new names? WHO CARES. The same bloggers taking photos of their 'drinks' are the ones who appreciate a new EPCOT (ALL CAPS) logo.

Cheap queue for the Mickey Ride? Why are they trying to undersell the ride that was ALREADY SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN.

D23 IS supposed to have some announcements relating to the park. Heck, this one makes the Pixar Pier announcement awesome.

Plus, with all the press Disney is getting over fraud, planting staff to manipulate boards, Disney ruining Spiderman in the MCU, the secret project blunder which mainstream folks reported on, low wages, Uni opening A NEW FREAKING PARK, this is just a further slap in the face.

There's no way to spin this. Uni WILL eat WDW's marketshare, and I am happy about it. Disney doesn't deserve our money. Use points and fly to Japan if you want the parks before we allowed Disney to ruin them, you'll actually save money. The new park at UOR, for all its faults, will have a stellar attraction roster.

Oh and SSE? Don't be excited for it. I would be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful. Get ready for an IP-infused, sparkly mess.

Disney doesn't care about anyone. We need to stop defending them. We are the reason the swamps are the way it is.

Oh, and they try to get us not to complain because we would be attacking poor little Make a Wish kids. Disney doesn't care about them, and they certainly don't care about you.

NOT EVEN 50TH ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!

The fans should be in uproar. Convince me how a period of stagnation against Universal's third park is a good idea.
Sorry but Disney having a starting wage of 12.00 to 15.00 starting pay imo is not bad

EricsBiscuit

That seems extreme. Universal is years away from opening their new park. I’m not sure what you expected this year. At the last D23, they announced billions worth of projects including multiple E tickets across a breadth of parks. Were you really expecting that this time around? Seems like you set yourself to some unrealistic expectations more than anything.

(This is coming from someone who really likes Universal)
Au contraire. I set low expectations going in. I knew it was bad when they brought out the Target CEO. No Brazil, no imagination, nothing on DAK, DHS OR MK!!! And only one new “attraction” that might not even be a ride. That’s pretty dismal.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Overall, I think this was my favourite D23.

I was already excited for Disney+ but now I'm at Fever pitch. A lot of original content and the quality looks high on shows like The Mandalorian.

The movie slate was the nicest surprise as there is again a lot of Orginal movies on the way. For me that's what I needed most against the consistent line of sequels

The parks panel was fine. If you were a casual fan who doesn't read the forums or news sites, there was probably quite a bit of new stuff here. I wasn't expecting any Megaton announcements or park expansions as that's pretty much what we've had for the last few years.

Hopefully with the Star Wars hotel. 2 day/night being slightly shorter than I imagined, I'm hoping it makes the eventual pricing a bit more affordable.

A lot of the show was confirming what we had seen before.

Lighthouse point and the new ships is what I'm most excited about. LHP looks beautiful and a sea view restaurant there would be incredible.

BlakeW39

Disney wrote their own grave. Last I remember, you were kissing up to Universal in the Uni threads when I criticized them for storytelling problems in their attractions. You think that a rumor tracker is enough to let you dictate any conversation? HA!

Themepark fans are cancerous. I'm done responding to maniacal posts like this.

And what's so cancerous?

phillip9698

The best thing to come from this is that it frees up some of the insiders here to give us info that would actually excite here. That's always been the case though so I'm not sure what people expected from a corporate presentation.

hauntology

Can't even believe people are making any arguments for Universal Studios doing better IN TERMS OF RIDE DESIGN when it's literally one land that is fantastically themed but even the rides in them suffer from the fact they use the same formula all UO rides have

1)Screens that have the same formula/pattern depending on whats on the screen: spits water at you, shocks your car, bursts of fire
2)The same ride vehicle and ride layout (Argue that Dinosaur/Indiana Jones do this sure, but they are completely different ride experiences to me, and in different parks. When you ride Spiderman, you've ridden Transformers, etc)
3)They don't even try to hide the fact the buildings are all warehouses lol.

I'm mad about the little we got to see for EPCOT too especially when we were relying on a gentle chunky aquatic mammal to have given true-ish information.

bclane

I think it probably comes down to this. There is a looming possible recession and they may have pulled back a little. They have already announced billions of capex they will be pouring into the parks over the next few years. I think there will likely be a bunch of stuff announced for the 50th in the near term and they are simply spreading out their announcements rather than putting everything on the table right now. Just my opinion as I don’t have any inside info, but it makes sense to me. After this D23, I’m most excited for Disney+, especially the shows and movies that were announced for it, some of the other movie announcements, the rides we already knew about and the hope I now have for a real Mary Poppins presence in the parks. It’s not everything I was hoping for, but it is still pretty awesome if you think about it....imo. Plus I can’t wait to spend more time in SWGE. I really love that place and I think it will just improve over time. I’m not gonna let today’s disappointments mess up my groove.

It Is What It Is

Overall, I think this was my favourite D23.

I was already excited for Disney+ but now I'm at Fever pitch. A lot of original content and the quality looks high on shows like The Mandalorian.

The movie slate was the nicest surprise as there is again a lot of Orginal movies on the way. For me that's what I needed most against the consistent line of sequels

The parks panel was fine. If you were a casual fan who doesn't read the forums or news sites, there was probably quite a bit of new stuff here. I wasn't expecting any Megaton announcements or park expansions as that's pretty much what we've had for the last few years.

Hopefully with the Star Wars hotel. 2 day/night being slightly shorter than I imagined, I'm hoping it makes the eventual pricing a bit more affordable.

A lot of the show was confirming what we had seen before.

Lighthouse point and the new ships is what I'm most excited about. LHP looks beautiful and a sea view restaurant there would be incredible.
I say this with sincerity, I like the positivity. It's nice to get a dose of appreciation every once in awhile on these threads!

bubbles1812

Au contraire. I set low expectations going in. I knew it was bad when they brought out the Target CEO. No Brazil, no imagination, nothing on MK, DHS OR MK!!! And only one new “attraction” that might not even be a ride. That’s pretty dismal.
Again, I’ll go back to my original point. At that last D23, they announced multiple ‘big rides.’ Tron in MK, SWGE in DHS, Guardians and the Rat for Epcot. None of those are inexpensive. All of them E tickets. And Pandora is relatively young in terms of major builds.

So... why in the world were you expecting it this time around? It’s just not realistic. Not with the cost these things take to build. Or would you rather have Disney cut more corners?

It’s been clear for weeks that the focus was going to be Epcot... the park that needs the most work now. And it’s clear your expectations were too high if you were expecting so much. The makeover of Epcot looked pretty nice to me overall. It doesn’t just need rides.

As for Brazil... The plans were for another pavilion with just a restaurant and gift shop. Maybe the delay will now allow a ride. Who knows? Find your silver lining.

I’ve already said I wish JII were getting a refurb and I’ll stand by that, but with major construction going on everywhere in Epcot, they probably just realized they need what they can to be open.

(Hasn’t it already been said that Poppins will be a ride? Just not an E ticket experience?)

hauntology

Men In Black ride is pretty awesome even though I don't like the movie.

The Mummy is great.

And Fallon's ride is actually quite good even though I don't like him.

Okay you're right, I missed out on some good attractions, obviously also Harry Potter is amazing.

MIB/The Mummy are great, particularly MIB because of it being in between screen/moving figures.

I really dislike the Jimmy Fallon ride but was deeply impressed by the queue. I just hate empty rooms with screens as rides. I guess anyone could argue any of the 3-D shows at Disney are kind of that as well, but they don't say they're a ride.

Dan Deesnee

Gotta admit, in terrified about the Space Shop Earth changes. I saw Moana in that concept art. To me it's already a nearly perfect ride. I don't mind the projection stuff but if they take out classic scenes for some IP to be jammed in, and done poorly, I'll be extremely upset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom