News D23 Expo 2019

Kman101

Universal’s executives must be laughing their heads off at how pathetic this presentation was. They announce a whole new park and Disney responds with... almost nothing.

Let's not pretend their Epic Universe announcement was anything to write home about. How quickly we forget how terrible that whole thing was. ;) Both sucked.

But yeah, I agree, Disney REALLY missed an opportunity today.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is it a better value, though? It's possible things have changed a lot in the past couple of years, but I spent two nights at Universal at the Royal Pacific in 2016 and 5 nights at Port Orleans Riverside in 2017. 2 day park hopper at Universal and 5 day at Disney. I think the Disney trip was only about $750 more for 3 extra nights and 3 more days of park tickets. I was shocked by how much Universal cost for just 2 nights.

To be fair, I think most of the rides at Universal are either bad or just don't interest me and their in-park food is essentially inedible (CityWalk is good, though) so that of course affects the value proposition for me.

Universal is expensive for someone to do for a short stay... problem is... until recently, there wasn't much reason to be there more than 2-2.5 days. Thus, UNI felt way more expensive because Disney has conditioned it's guests that visiting a theme park should be 5-7 days.. and they try to do the same thing for UNI and it makes zero sense. And doing UNI as a single or 1.5 day dodge is extremely expensive/front-loaded.

A travel plan for UNI must be tackled differently than the traditional WDW vacation... and it's expensive when you try to compare apple, to slightly similar, but different apple... but in the grand scheme they are loosely similar as a whole.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There had already been concepts released which contained the ride vehicle, loading area, and theme of the Spiderman attraction. If I can recall, Dr. Strange m&g was also known due to the previous concept. The Avengers E-Ticket was long known about just not officially announced due to development hell.

So.. you acknowledge it was new info?

Casper Gutman

Let's not pretend their Epic Universe announcement was anything to write home about. How quickly we forget how terrible that whole thing was. ;) Both sucked.

But yeah, I agree, Disney REALLY missed an opportunity today.
Eh, the Uni announcement was “Yeah, we’re building a huge new park. And hotel. And shopping and dining center. And we didn’t need a three-day-weekend to make this announcement.”

I like that better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Make-a-Wish is great and it deserved to be apart of the presentation but don't you do something exhilarating for the big finale? If Epcot is the big news of this D23's Parks Panel, Don't you go out with that?

It's the 'feel good wrap up' moment. They already had the 'wait.. there's more' build up moment earlier in the presentation. MAW was more like the epilogue and wrap-up.

Kman101

Eh, the Uni announcement was “Yeah, we’re building a huge new park. And hotel. And shopping and dining center. And we didn’t need a three-day-weekend to make this announcement.”

I like that better.

The bones of the announcement, sure. The actual presentation? Horrible. That's what I was more talking about. I wasn't at all dismissing the significant investment :) Universal by far had 'the better announcement' in that regard, of course, lol, but both companies suck at presentations. Clearly. So awful.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We want to be wowed, surprised, and filled with excitement by the leadership of a company that gives some glimmer of hope that they understand the product and ideals of the company they are paid to represent.

So remind me again... how does telling you something that you already knew from rumors cripple that news again? And what do you expect the company to just accept those rumor discussions as the announcement of the attraction?

Your 'it should have been better' is no retort to you being disappointed that you didn't learn something you felt was new.

bclane

Part of the problem for us is that our insiders are so amazing, that we already knew about most of what was announced. So that makes D23 kind of a letdown for us. To the average fan who doesn't read wdwmagic.com, there was a lot of cool news today. So while we get great sneak peeks all the time, Joe Public has to wait. I love what we have here. I just hope that the Mary Poppins thing is a dark ride and not just a carousel. I mean, we are getting Cherry Tree Lane so that is pretty awesome.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This is a problem with Marvel. It’s settings, like it’s characters, are very “realistic,” as superheroes go. They live in New York or LA. There’s no Gotham or Metropolic or Atlantis or Oa to work with. Uni took a clever approach with its over-the-top comic aesthetic, but Disney needed to differentiate, to go in a different direction. They needed to be really creative with the property. And it doesn’t look like they’ve done that.
Marvel won't succeed or fail based on the land, it will succeed or fail based on the attractions.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Part of the problem for us is that our insiders are so amazing, that we already knew about most of what was announced. So that makes D23 kind of a letdown for us. To the average fan who doesn't read wdwmagic.com, there was a lot of cool news today. So while we get great sneak peeks all the time, Joe Public has to wait. I love what we have here. I just hope that the Mary Poppins thing is a dark ride and not just a carousel. I mean, we are getting Cherry Tree Lane so that is pretty awesome.

We did get more detail of things that we already knew about. Hopefully more detail in the future as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom