News D23 Expo 2019

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There were a few things I was hoping to get out the presentation. Chiefly, the status of Figment and information on a new pavilion.
I think Disney blew it here (unless neither is going to happen).

I mean how hard would it have been to say "There's been a lot of speculation about Figment. But rest assured, he's not going anywhere. He's coming back bigger and better than ever, and he's bringing along a friend", "Oh, and there's a new pavilion on the way. We don't have details squared away just yet, but we'll be announcing more in the near future"

I think most of us would have been extremely happy with that. Unless of course, the rumors aren't true.
It is happening, but it seems that properties shifted to the central area of the park.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I do wish this kind of presentation was on day 1... with the following two days in the expo hall to explore and find out more about those topics announced. Much like they did prior with the SWGE announcements. The fact this is at the closing.. without the full expo to 'learn more' would be my disappointment if I were paying to be there.

Mike S

I do wish this kind of presentation was on day 1... with the following two days in the expo hall to explore and find out more about those topics announced. Much like they did prior with the SWGE announcements. The fact this is at the closing.. without the full expo to 'learn more' would be my disappointment if I were paying to be there.
Especially when Disney themselves announced this stuff days before the panel even happened...

Only Mary Poppins, the name of the new show, the new theme music, and concept art for SSE were actually new to the panel.

Ponderer

Vote with actions. Don't go to the parks.

I'll go an extra time, actually, but thanks for the advice.

The presentation blew (as all of these presentations blow), and I was hoping more was gonna be announced, but Epcot got redefined with Discovery, Celebration, and Nature. To me, that's a commitment to optimism and the future, even if the branding has changed. We're going to get a lovely and respectful redo of SSE which I am THERE for. We even got kind of a sideways reboot of Mission to Mars! I believe there are people in TPTB who love Epcot and are restoring its identity in a fun and relevant way.

Universal's giving us, what, a brand new park featuring Journey through Hagrid's Beard? The Nintendo Joy-Convention Center? Dark ride through Tom Cruise's Deleted Mummy Scenes? (It doesn't get darker than that, folks!) EPIC!

Yeah, okay. Have fun. :)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Given the scope of everything else happening in former FW... I can't see how Imagination stands as it is. I really think this is Imagination just not being ready for announcement.. or even (sniff..) the initial phase of the FW reboot.

It is happening, but it seems that properties shifted to the central area of the park.

And it probably won't stand as is. But you saw (heard) the reaction when Figment was announced. Flyn, you mentioned easing up to the front of your chair when our man Zach simply mentioned Fig. Just a statement that he will be a part of the new FW would have created buzz. I think Disney wants to accomplish 2 things in this type of an environment. One is informational and the other is buzz.

I don't think the Presentation was terrible when you view it outside of a vacuum and understand that it encompasses all of Disney. Most of us are centered on Orlando, and feel a bit more could have been covered.

However, I do think the delivery of today's presentation was horrendous.

Walrus from Paris

How much is Universal paying to you to post that?
Disney wrote their own grave. Last I remember, you were kissing up to Universal in the Uni threads when I criticized them for storytelling problems in their attractions. You think that a rumor tracker is enough to let you dictate any conversation? HA!

Themepark fans are cancerous. I'm done responding to maniacal posts like this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
i specifically phrased my post this way to keep bootlickers from thinking they could be clever and call me out on something that wasn’t there, but silly me!

Because you didn't give anything else in the expo any space or credit in your assertion. As if... this presentation alone ruined your investment/commitment. As if.. everything else didn't happen.

It's nothing about defending Disney.. .it's about debunking these ridiculous hyperbolic claims that always arise in the wake of some news.. as if the rest of the world didn't exist before 1030am this morning.

bubbles1812

Me too... the juke move by our new friend Zach with the figment reference made me move to the edge of my seat... but alas it was not to be.
In retrospect, it’s not really surprising to me they aren’t doing anything with it right now. This is going to be a lot of construction and that SE refurb won’t be a short one. I can see them wanting to keep JII while everything else is being done. In a park short on rides, they need what can be open to stay open, at least in the short term. I wonder when SE will close?

bubbles1812

They announced 1 daytime parade, 1 crappy simulator, and what looks like is not even a ride. What a sad event. Universal at this rate will catch up and surpass Disney in Orlando.
That seems extreme. Universal is years away from opening their new park. I’m not sure what you expected this year. At the last D23, they announced billions worth of projects including multiple E tickets across a breadth of parks. Were you really expecting that this time around? Seems like you set yourself to some unrealistic expectations more than anything.

(This is coming from someone who really likes Universal)

matt2394

My reaction to today's various news at D23:

Not one good thing. Spaceship Earth is going to be a IPfest, Future World is now in tatters, a bunch of Marvel stuff that doesn't appeal to me or my parents/family, a freaking TARGET SUPERSTORE...I'm glad I'm getting out after 2020. It's Disneyland Paris for me from now on.

Hula Popper

There still isn't for me -- I don't care about water parks at all, and both Universal theme parks are lacking IMO. E.T. is a fun classic dark ride, and Jurassic Park and the Mummy are both really good. Hogsmeade is solid and Diagon Alley is phenomenal, but the Forbidden Journey made me so sick I had to just sit on a bench for the next 45 minutes trying not to vomit (and I don't typically get sick on rides). I didn't ride Gringotts because of that, but it's supposed to be fine so I'll give it a shot whenever I return. Also didn't ride Simpsons because it supposedly makes everybody sick. The rest of the rides there either didn't interest me at all or didn't do much for me. And my god the food was unbelievably bad. We ended up throwing away most of our meal in the parks two different times because it was so terrible. I'll exit out to CityWalk for every meal next time I'm there.

2 days was more than enough time to do everything that currently exists for me, but I'm sure that will change whenever the new park opens.

Sorry to respond and sort of depart from the point of this threat, but the Simpsons ride certainly made me sick. I think it might have been the single most miserable ride experience I've ever been on, or at least that I can remember at the moment. Agree that the ET is fun and classic, the Mummy is really good, Hogsmeade is solid, and Diagon Alley is phenomenal. I was disappointed with Jurassic Park though. I felt a little less than ideal after Forbidden Journey, but enjoyed the ride. Gringott's was a lot of fun.

Other attractions you didn't mention that I really liked - Hogwart's Express, Hulk coaster (though painful on the face in the rain!), Spiderman, Skull Island (though maybe a little short of expectations). Flight of the Hippogriff and Despicable Me were also good. Thought the Shrek 4-D thing was also worth experiencing.

Things I'm bummed I missed out on because they weren't open given the rain or didn't have enough time (only 1 day): Rip Rock-it, Ripsaw Falls, Popeye's raft ride, Poseidon's Fury, and the Horror Make Up Show.

If had a bunch more time, would have also liked to do Transformers, Men In Black, Fast and Furious, and the Jimmy Fallon ride.

Hagrid's Motorbikes weren't there when I went, but would definitely like to experience that.

As for the whole Universal versus Disney thing bickering on this site, it's all so silly given it's all up one's own individual preferences. It's like being in a pre-school the day after Halloween when the kids of been up late gorging on candy.

ProjectXBlog

Because you didn't give anything else in the expo any space or credit in your assertion. As if... this presentation alone ruined your investment/commitment. As if.. everything else didn't happen.
except i started off by talking about their broken admission system. i can’t speak to any of the rest of the con as i’m not there but what i saw of yesterday’s studio presentation didn’t inspire a lot of confidence either. i understand your point on battling hyperbole but the fact that people are that disappointed should be paid attention to by the ones making decisions. the tone-deafness of “we know what you love about epcot!” followed by their fundamental misunderstanding of what people love about epcot is jaw-dropping

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom