Rumor D23 Expo 2019 expected announcements

CalebS

Since the focus is on Epcot I wonder if Epcot will get any new ride announcements besides the UK flat.. We know there will be details about future world but the park needs more quality attractions as well

brodie999

Really cool synopsis and thought process.. I agree, I still think Disney has a couple surprises up their sleeve. Perhaps they have been playing a waiting game with Universal to see who moves their chess piece first. No way the new Universal parks opens in the Disney 50th window so the leftover funds may be 'on hold' to combat that in 2022-2024 window. This may work out very nicely for Disney as they can wait and see what IP's are performing well enough to create additional attractions. A few notable IP's include: Avatar, Indiana Jones, Marvel Phase 4, Zootopia 2, and an outside shot on some of the acquired Fox properties.

For my money, here is what I think we see at D23 2019

- Marvel Phase 4 Stuff
- Opening Date for Rise of the Resistance
- Additional info on DCA Marvel Land and possibly a Fantasyland expansion at Disneyland
- Loads of Info on Disney+ including new footage and programming
- EPCOT Spine redevelopment news with updates on Play Pavilion, GOTG Coaster, Ratatouille, and the announcement of a Brazil Pavilion. I still have a hunch that we will see another pavilion added in between the Land and Seas or and expansion of the Seas with a new attraction.
- DHS to finally announce the re-skin of Rock N' Roller Coaster and provide an update on Toy Story Land restaurant and Star Wars Hotel. We should also get an update on the IJ Stunt show. In addition, I think we may see some news on Launch Bay re-purposes, Disney Jr. show along with a new show to replace Beauty and the Beast
- DAK is a wildcard since they are showing a 10% attendance boost but whatever would be announced would be a few year away so I could see some Blue Sky for a new expansion (Zootopia or hopefully something more original such as Rainforest with a Tarzan hanging coaster, or a Tundra area featuring Ice Age). Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Lion King major e-ticket announced. Perhaps akin to the Beauty and Beast Dark Ride being built at Tokyo Disney. I mean it's a crime to have the Lion King be so absent of a Disney Animal Park.. I know the show but..........
-As far as the Magic Kingdom, it's possible that they re-announce the the Theater Project but I think we will get some new news on Tomorrowland imagination. I think we will also see some news on Stitch replacement and the Tomorrowland Speedway re-skin. Really don't see much else here except for a refurb of Peter Pan or something similar (would love to the the POTC Shanghai version here but just wishing). Wild card here would be Frozen Land.

Other stuff we may here about would be Transportation upgrades: new monorail stations with perhaps a new dedicates rail transportation to and from airport, and a Skyliner update/extensions.
Awesome predictions, man. Marvel Studios is also hosting a panel that's gonna reveal a lot of of info about Phase 4 too. Maybe they'll announce the first half there and save the second half for D23 next month.

It Is What It Is

With the popularity of Aulani, I would not be surprised to see another resort (different theme) announced. Cairns or Gold Coast, Australia, Southern Italy or the Goa region of India possibly?

jrhwdw

My understanding is that Disney really hoped that it would be the first of similar resorts around the world, but it turns out that travelers are reticent to pay Disney resort prices when there isn't a Disney theme park nearby.
What about Hilton Head and Vereo Beach? Those have been opened since the 90's.

BrerJon

What about Hilton Head and Vereo Beach? Those have been opened since the 90's.

They appeal to different markets. Vero and HH are also way smaller with less running costs than Aulani. If you live in Florida or Georgia, an escape for a few days to a DVC resort is quite do-able at a reasonable price, and prices aren't as high as the WDW resorts. For most people a trip to Hawaii will be an expensive one for most visitors, so they will want to focus on other things than Disney.

It's the same reason more Americans don't visit Tokyo Disneyland. Despite many American families spending a lot more money on a WDW vacation than they would have to for a Tokyo Disneyland trip, with the extra travel time being only real obstacle, most people really dislike the idea of going that far and spending so much money when there are so many unique non-Disney things to see and do.

Hawaii is the same, so Aulani isn't the draw Disney hoped it would be as a result.

Janir

My understanding is that Disney really hoped that it would be the first of similar resorts around the world, but it turns out that travelers are reticent to pay Disney resort prices when there isn't a Disney theme park nearby.
They just need to keep up parity with the other inclusive resorts near them in Hawaii Oahu and they'd be just fine. Not everyone going to Hawaii are going to stay at the resort for their entire stay, but they havn't geared themselves to helping experince the island around them, but tried to bring everything to them. It's not a normal DIsney model but a familiar one for other resrot operators.
Its a really nice place to stay in Hawaii and I look forward to our next trip with some DVC points in a few years.

doctornick

They just need to keep up parity with the other inclusive resorts near them in Hawaii Oahu and they'd be just fine. Not everyone going to Hawaii are going to stay at the resort for their entire stay, but they havn't geared themselves to helping experince the island around them, but tried to bring everything to them. It's not a normal DIsney model but a familiar one for other resrot operators.
Its a really nice place to stay in Hawaii and I look forward to our next trip with some DVC points in a few years.

The problem is that it is hard to sell timeshare points on that principle.

Having Aulani in the resort portfolio for DVC members to trade into is great. It actually enhances the DVC program overall by adding that option. But selling people a deed for that property which would tend to make sense only if you plan t visit there regularly. It's a harder sell.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think you’ll already have those opening dates before D23

Don’t expect any announcement relating to the land purchase. They will never mention the exact purpose of that purchase.
The old body disposal landfill filled up quickly after “the event”, didn’t it? 965 acres should last for 20 years or so. The shell company will be purchasing soon so it will appear to be off property to ye olde rubes.

CalebS

Just an educates guess, but it appears that this D23 will be more focused on the updating of the parks entrances, refurbs of existing rides, Previously announced attractions, and the restructuring of future world rather than announcements of new attractions. If i recall in the months leading to the 2017 D23 we had many more rumors regarding new attractions floating around than we do this year.

It Is What It Is

I had brought up the possibility of a new resort destination (like Aulani) somewhere tropical-subtropical on the planet. Some online resources and comments here suggest the DVC side of Aulani isn't doing as well as expected but the hotel side seems to be doing okay. Most comments and online sites suggest its a popular, desirable place to go. I know it's on my list.

Does anyone have an understanding of Disney's business model for non Park resorts? If the hotel side is doing well but the DVC side not as well, isn't it still in Disney's interests to build high quality resorts but cut back on the percent they devote to DVC?

brodie999

Just an educates guess, but it appears that this D23 will be more focused on the updating of the parks entrances, refurbs of existing rides, Previously announced attractions, and the restructuring of future world rather than announcements of new attractions. If i recall in the months leading to the 2017 D23 we had many more rumors regarding new attractions floating around than we do this year.
I agree. The way Marvel Studios teased Phase 5 at Comic-Con 3 days ago, they might announce it fully at D23 next month along with the Phase 4 teases. After all, Feige confirmed they already have the next 5 years planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom