Rumor D23 Expo 2019 expected announcements

trainplane3

Can’t seem to remember but was the last D23 parks and resorts presentation live steamed or just posted after?
"Live blog" aka the DPB updated as the announcements happened, no official live stream. If you searched around on Facebook and Periscope, you would be able to find streams. Disney isn't smart enough to make people pay to watch a livestream. Or include it in the D23 membership for those of us that don't want to fly to LA for some panels.

It Is What It Is

If there was any truth to the New York Times article from November ‘18, Disney spending 24 billion over the next 5 years, doing the math makes me think something of substance will get announced soon. Here is my very rough math, please critique or add information on things I missed or might not have considered (amounts are based on information seen online. Take accuracy with a grain of salt.)

Galaxy's Edge: I'm not sure if this counts towards the dollar count or not, since they started this project years ago. But if it is, let's say 2 billion as supposedly this project went way over budget.

Disney Cruise Line: 3 ships at 1.25 billion each. 3.75 billion. Development of second port in Bahamas. 400 million. Total 4.15 billion. (Round to 4)

Hong Kong Disneyland: In 2016, a 1.4 billion expansion was announced for between 2018 and 2023. Hong Kong, which owns 53% of the park, is supposed to pay 750 million of that. But for the sake of this exercise, let's call it 1.5 billion.

Paris Disneyland: 2 million euros (2.5 billion dollars) for Studios park expansion.

Shanghai Disneyland: Zootopia: No idea, again for this exercise, I'll make up a figure, say 500 million. China owning over half the park, should pay for half.

Tokyo Disneyland: $0, Oriental Land Company owns this park, there should be no money coming out Disney pockets here.

Disneyland Resort: Marvel Land, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad, new parking structure, possible 4th hotel. For the purpose of the exercise, let's throw 2 billion at it.

Disney World Resort: Epcot overhaul, Tron, MMRR, Star Wars Hotel, New Resort. Let's say 4.5 billion.

Let's throw in 2 billion to Imagineering R&D.

GE 2 + DCL 4 + HK 1.5 + DLP 2.5 + ShD .5 + DLR 2 + WDW 4.5 + WDI 2 = 19 billion

If there is any truth to the NY Times article, I'm coming up 5 billion short, even with my crazy numbers. Whether it's this D23, 2021 or some other time, we have a lot of exciting announcements to look forward to!

Here's to hoping for a Zootpoia announcement in AK! …….kidding :)

CalebS

If the 50th anniversary is going to run through most of 2022 as well and not just 2021, I would think we’ll probably get a new ride or two announced for that year as well since it has none at the moment and we have something announced for 2019,2020, and 2021
BUT... I could see them taking satisfaction in what they’ve done and just counting on the celebration driving crowds and merch and not worrying about how terribly over crowded it will be in comparison to ride capacity at each park

Haymarket2008

Last D23, I remember SO MANY rumors (Space restaurant, Ratatouille, replacement for GMR...)

So where are the rumors for this year? (other than the bears or tiki birds getting replaced, or the possible Mary Poppins EPCOT ride?)

I think the strongest rumors include the Mary Poppins “things” in UK & announcing Brazil in World Showcase, an enormous amount of Future World redevelopment plans, more info on Marvel Land at DCA. And I’d expect a DHS announcement or two. And almost certainly a large mention of the 50th anniversary plans/refreshes happening over the next year and a half.

Parker41056

If there was any truth to the New York Times article from November ‘18, Disney spending 24 billion over the next 5 years, doing the math makes me think something of substance will get announced soon. Here is my very rough math, please critique or add information on things I missed or might not have considered (amounts are based on information seen online. Take accuracy with a grain of salt.)

Galaxy's Edge: I'm not sure if this counts towards the dollar count or not, since they started this project years ago. But if it is, let's say 2 billion as supposedly this project went way over budget.

Disney Cruise Line: 3 ships at 1.25 billion each. 3.75 billion. Development of second port in Bahamas. 400 million. Total 4.15 billion. (Round to 4)

Hong Kong Disneyland: In 2016, a 1.4 billion expansion was announced for between 2018 and 2023. Hong Kong, which owns 53% of the park, is supposed to pay 750 million of that. But for the sake of this exercise, let's call it 1.5 billion.

Paris Disneyland: 2 million euros (2.5 billion dollars) for Studios park expansion.

Shanghai Disneyland: Zootopia: No idea, again for this exercise, I'll make up a figure, say 500 million. China owning over half the park, should pay for half.

Tokyo Disneyland: $0, Oriental Land Company owns this park, there should be no money coming out Disney pockets here.

Disneyland Resort: Marvel Land, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad, new parking structure, possible 4th hotel. For the purpose of the exercise, let's throw 2 billion at it.

Disney World Resort: Epcot overhaul, Tron, MMRR, Star Wars Hotel, New Resort. Let's say 4.5 billion.

Let's throw in 2 billion to Imagineering R&D.

GE 2 + DCL 4 + HK 1.5 + DLP 2.5 + ShD .5 + DLR 2 + WDW 4.5 + WDI 2 = 19 billion

If there is any truth to the NY Times article, I'm coming up 5 billion short, even with my crazy numbers. Whether it's this D23, 2021 or some other time, we have a lot of exciting announcements to look forward to!

Here's to hoping for a Zootpoia announcement in AK! …….kidding :)

Really cool synopsis and thought process.. I agree, I still think Disney has a couple surprises up their sleeve. Perhaps they have been playing a waiting game with Universal to see who moves their chess piece first. No way the new Universal parks opens in the Disney 50th window so the leftover funds may be 'on hold' to combat that in 2022-2024 window. This may work out very nicely for Disney as they can wait and see what IP's are performing well enough to create additional attractions. A few notable IP's include: Avatar, Indiana Jones, Marvel Phase 4, Zootopia 2, and an outside shot on some of the acquired Fox properties.

For my money, here is what I think we see at D23 2019

- Marvel Phase 4 Stuff
- Opening Date for Rise of the Resistance
- Additional info on DCA Marvel Land and possibly a Fantasyland expansion at Disneyland
- Loads of Info on Disney+ including new footage and programming
- EPCOT Spine redevelopment news with updates on Play Pavilion, GOTG Coaster, Ratatouille, and the announcement of a Brazil Pavilion. I still have a hunch that we will see another pavilion added in between the Land and Seas or and expansion of the Seas with a new attraction.
- DHS to finally announce the re-skin of Rock N' Roller Coaster and provide an update on Toy Story Land restaurant and Star Wars Hotel. We should also get an update on the IJ Stunt show. In addition, I think we may see some news on Launch Bay re-purposes, Disney Jr. show along with a new show to replace Beauty and the Beast
- DAK is a wildcard since they are showing a 10% attendance boost but whatever would be announced would be a few year away so I could see some Blue Sky for a new expansion (Zootopia or hopefully something more original such as Rainforest with a Tarzan hanging coaster, or a Tundra area featuring Ice Age). Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Lion King major e-ticket announced. Perhaps akin to the Beauty and Beast Dark Ride being built at Tokyo Disney. I mean it's a crime to have the Lion King be so absent of a Disney Animal Park.. I know the show but..........
-As far as the Magic Kingdom, it's possible that they re-announce the the Theater Project but I think we will get some new news on Tomorrowland imagination. I think we will also see some news on Stitch replacement and the Tomorrowland Speedway re-skin. Really don't see much else here except for a refurb of Peter Pan or something similar (would love to the the POTC Shanghai version here but just wishing). Wild card here would be Frozen Land.

Other stuff we may here about would be Transportation upgrades: new monorail stations with perhaps a new dedicates rail transportation to and from airport, and a Skyliner update/extensions.

HauntedMansionFLA

Is Iger doing massive stock buybacks?? It’s not like him to throw around this type of money to the parks. Or is he setting up his legacy ( with the help of Disney+)

Surferboy567

Just watched a YouTube video by Michael Kay, now of course I don’t think he is the best source of news or anything he does bring up an interesting point I want to discuss the theory goes like this.

Pandora- Announced in 2011, Opens in 2017
Galaxy’s Edge- Announced in 2015, Opens in 2019

Notice how their is a 4 year pattern. Something is announced skips a D23 and then something big is announced. Thoughts?

Sped2424

Just watched a YouTube video by Michael Kay, now of course I don’t think he is the best source of news or anything he does bring up an interesting point I want to discuss the theory goes like this.

Notice how their is a 4 year pattern. Something is announced skips a D23 and then something big is announced. Thoughts?
I just passed statistics yesterday and as my text book would say there is not enough evidence to say there is an association between the two variables 😉🤣

Aries1975

I just passed statistics yesterday and as my text book would say there is not enough evidence to say there is an association between the two variables 😉🤣

If I recall correctly, someone ( @MisterPenguin ?) was thoughtful enough to put together a chart of many projects with their announcement date, ground breaking, and completion dates to illustrate typical project duration. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the chart at the moment, but combined with the dates of the D23, it should provide the additional data points for your analysis.

The project duration chart might also be an excellent resource to include in the rumor tracker to easily access for future discussions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If I recall correctly, someone ( @MisterPenguin ?) was thoughtful enough to put together a chart of many projects with their announcement date, ground breaking, and completion dates to illustrate typical project duration. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the chart at the moment, but combined with the dates of the D23, it should provide the additional data points for your analysis.

The project duration chart might also be an excellent resource to include in the rumor tracker to easily access for future discussions.

My chart doesn't include announcement date, just groundbreaking (or demolition of what was there previously).

Trying to figure out what's being announced at D23 is a fool's errand. The best insiders don't know until about a week before hand and even then what was going to be announced can be pulled at the last minute.

And what's to be gained by figuring out what will be announced ahead of time? Spoilers?

Surferboy567

Something we should keep our eyes on...I think this may mean we get something significant at D23. Something to really wow the audience (even though their are plenty of cool projects such as Epcot in development)

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

All I want is for them announce the Fox Slate of films for 2021 and beyond besides Avatar and Nimona. And I all I really want from that is a new Planet of the Apes trilogy with Matt Reeves at the helm.

TTA94

We need a Lion King & Aladdin dark ride

If the Lion King remake is a huge hit which I’m sure it will be, maybe that will lead to some type of new attraction. Fingers crossed

I personally vote for them axing RoL for a complete lion king show while they figure out how to remake RoL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom