Rumor D23 Expo 2019 expected announcements

jt04

Long shot/Wishful thinking

DAK - New land but NOT Zootopia IP

DHS - New Indy Stunt Spectacular, Pixar to fill in from TSL to RnRC including Animation Courtyard

Epcot - Brazil in WS, Spaceship Earth comprehensive overhaul

MK- NOS

justintheharris

Long shot/Wishful thinking

DAK - New land but NOT Zootopia IP

DHS - New Indy Stunt Spectacular, Pixar to fill in from TSL to RnRC including Animation Courtyard

Epcot - Brazil in WS, Spaceship Earth comprehensive overhaul

MK- NOS
From a practical standpoint, there’s no point even discussing a new land in Animal Kingdom that isn’t Zootopia

WDW Guru

From a practical standpoint, there’s no point even discussing a new land in Animal Kingdom that isn’t Zootopia

Not true. There have been no insiders that have hinted towards a Zootopia themed land yet have hinted towards a re-imagining of the Dinoland theme. Animal Kingdom will not be adding a Zootopia themed land in the near future. I don't want to get into this though.

Patcheslee

Not true. There have been no insiders that have hinted towards a Zootopia themed land yet have hinted towards a re-imagining of the Dinoland theme. Animal Kingdom will not be adding a Zootopia themed land in the near future. I don't want to get into this though.
Hopefully Dinoland does get redone or something, first visit in 2017 DD8 commented it looked "old". If an 8yo can see past the excitement of a first visit to see it needs something done, Disney has dropped the ball.

justintheharris

I don't need an insider to say anything about Zootopia to believe it will happen. Quite honestly, the writing is already on the wall.

1. Zootopia is a very popular movie without representation in the parks. It apparently has sequels in development.
  2. Rafiki's Planet Watch has gone seasonal. Carousel of Progress is the only attraction to have gone seasonal and come back from it. Clearly Disney is interested in getting rid of it in the near future.
  3. Zootopia got announced for Shanghai Disneyland. Zootopia performed very well in China and I believe their opening is a test run.
  4. Animal Kingdom has few options for children or dark rides. Zootopia would likely fit both bills.
  5. Animal Kingdom is currently the only park without a major expansion on the way. Yes, we're still fairly off the heels of Avatar but soon they'll be looking for the park's next big project.
Regardless of what insiders say, I refuse to believe Disney executives have not discussed Zootopia in Animal Kingdom and are seriously considering the project.

Last edited:

jt04

I don't need an insider to say anything about Zootopia to believe it will happen. Quite honestly, the writing is already on the wall.

1. Zootopia is a very popular movie without representation in the parks. It apparently has sequels in development.
  2. Rafiki's Planet Watch has gone seasonal. Carousel of Progress is the only attraction to have gone seasonal and come back from it. Clearly Disney is interested in getting rid of it in the near future.
  3. Zootopia got announced for Shanghai Disneyland. Zootopia performed very well in China and I believe their opening is a test run.
  4. Animal Kingdom has few options for children or dark rides. Zootopia would likely fit both bills.
  5. Zootopia is currently the only park without a major expansion on the way. Yes, we're still fairly off the heels of Avatar but soon they'll be looking for the park's next big project.
Regardless of what insiders say, I refuse to believe Disney executives have not discussed Zootopia in Animal Kingdom and are seriously considering the project.

There is the problem of the theme being inconsistent with the park of course.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

5. Animal Kingdom is currently the only park without a major expansion on the way. Yes, we're still fairly off the heels of Avatar but soon they'll be looking for the park's next big project.

You would be correct on all accounts. If I can armchair a re-imagining of the current Dinoland USA with an included Zootopia treatment to Dinosaur than the thinktank that is Walt Disney Imagineering has certainly considered it. As I'm sure they've equally considered placing the IP in Planet Watch.

But given the choice, I'd rather not have Zootopia bastardize DAK even if it were tucked away hidden from the rest of the park. (which would be a more acceptable scenario - but still not ideal) It just doesn't belong.

The IP isn't as popular as certain peoples would have us believe. And any sequel movie in the works would likely be made not due to popularity but, as an easy cash grab and possibly to right the wrongs of the first movie; making the sequel "fit" the ideals of DAK's core message should the IP be used in the parks.

Is the writing on the wall? Maybe. But the general consensus (at least here) is that DAK + Zootopia ≠ Good idea!

Last edited:

justintheharris

You would be correct on all accounts. If I can armchair a re-imagining of the current Dinoland USA with an included Zootopia treatment to Dinosaur than the thinktank that is Walt Disney Imagineering has certainly considered it. As I'm sure they've equally considered placing the IP in Planet Watch.

But given the choice, I'd rather not have Zootopia bastardize DAK even if it were tucked away hidden from the rest of the park. (which would be a more acceptable scenario - but still not ideal) It just doesn't belong.

The IP isn't as popular as certain peoples would have us believe. And any sequel movie in the works would likely be made not due to popularity but, as an easy cash grab and possibly to write the wrongs of the first movie; making the sequel "fit" the ideals of DAK's core message should the IP be used in the parks.

Is the writing on the wall? Maybe. But the general consensus (at least here) is that DAK + Zootopia ≠ Good idea!
That's exactly my point. I didn't say anything regarding whether or not I like the idea (even though I do). I simply stated five facts that everybody here has access to and can verify. And I don't think Zootopia is going to take over Dinoland. They'll put it in Planet Watch. Perhaps following the EPCOT overhaul, they "overhaul Animal Kingdom" and do both a Dinoland retheme as well as add in Zootopia.

People are too caught up in their "OH THIS IS AN AWFUL IDEA! EVIL BOB IGER! GROSS! I HATE ZOOTOPIA! NO!! NO NO NO! NO" to actually take a step back and not examine one's personal opinion, but the mentality and intentions of Disney executives. Notice I got angry reacts to a statement of facts. Not opinions, facts. And of the three people who have replied, one said I brought up valid points, you said the same thing but made sure to mention that it would be an unpopular idea on the forum and the third reply ignored everything I said and talked about how it wouldn't fit the theme of Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

justintheharris

Your subjective opinion.
Soooo Disney Executives called you and interviewed you and when you said "that wouldn't fit the theme of Animal Kingdom!" they said "Oh, okay, we'll do something else?"
And just as they've always done, they can alter theming to work in something new. Originally Adventureland was more of a South American jungle but they created a new section called Caribbean Plaza to work in Pirates of the Caribbean.

jt04

Soooo Disney Executives called you and interviewed you and when you said "that wouldn't fit the theme of Animal Kingdom!" they said "Oh, okay, we'll do something else?"
And just as they've always done, they can alter theming to work in something new. Originally Adventureland was more of a South American jungle but they created a new section called Caribbean Plaza to work in Pirates of the Caribbean.

It is my considered opinion that Zootopia does not fit DAK as a land. Many here agree. There is a way to incorporate some of the characters in RPW. Again my opinion.

There are many other IPs that would make much more compelling additions to DAK. They should use those.

So, we agree we don't agree then. IMO.

justintheharris

It is my considered opinion that Zootopia does not fit DAK as a land. Many here agree. There is a way to incorporate some of the characters in RPW. Again my opinion.

There are many other IPs that would make much more compelling additions to DAK. They should use those.

So, we agree we don't agree then. IMO.
Yes. That is your opinion. My opinion is that it could potentially work. And it is fact that Disney does not care about either of our individual opinions.

999th Happy Haunt

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems Zootopia might be a bit too politically skewed to have a large presence in the US parks, at least from what I’ve heard

MouseBrayden

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems Zootopia might be a bit too politically skewed to have a large presence in the US parks, at least from what I’ve heard
It's a popular franchise with more sequels on the way, good for families, and recognizable. That's all the ingredients you need for a new IP attraction/land to draw in the general audiences.

None of us are the general audience Disney makes these decisions for.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There's a General Discussion thread for anything relating to Zootopia in the parks. Please take all talk of anything related to that movie going into the parks to there. It won't happen, because if TWDC saw money in doing it, they'd already have done it.

MouseBrayden

It won't happen, because if TWDC saw money in doing it, they'd already have done it.
Zootopia is only a few years old and there's a massive queue of expansion projects. These things take time to develop, they were developing the Runaway Railway 4 years before it was announced. Especially in WDW there are several other factors such as crowd capacity with Galaxy's Edge that could make doing the Zootopia project cost-prohibitive short term and therefore they're starting with Shanghai (like Tron). Why make conclusive statements you can't back up? You’re not Bob Iger (at least as far as I know haha).

Last edited:

DeletedAccount55555

To get the conversation back on track instead of letting the Mickey Views kid derail another thread with his finger-wagging.

My wishful thinking announcements:

In general: More on the 50th, maybe even opening time frames announced for attractions opening in 2020?

DHS: RnR retheme. I don't see Disney announcing anything in regards to Animation Courtyard/Pixar because can the park really afford to lose any space in the first six months to a year after SW:GE opens? Especially with MMRR being delayed.

Epcot: Coco taking over Gran Fiesta tour. New WS pavilion or attraction to existing pavilion. More on IllumiNations replacement and Play Pavilion.

MK: Revamp of Carousel of Progress with new host voice and updated final scene.

DAK: Ice Age taking over DinoLand.

Resort-wide: Extension of Skyliner? Concept art of Reflections pool paying tribute to River Country?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom