D23 Expo 2017/Disneyland Meet-up

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
That time of the year (every other year) is approaching, folks! The D23 Expo is coming, which means Disney fans from all over, including those here at WDWMagic, will be heading to Anaheim, California in the next few months.

I know there were a few people who expressed interest in meeting up, and I thought we should probably start discussing any kind of plans now and not last minute. We will use this thread for planning, like suggestions on where to meet, what time, etc. This includes the Expo, Disneyland, and/or both (so far, I have no plans to attend the Expo).

@Sped2424, @Mike S, @ajrwdwgirl I know you all expressed interest earlier in the year. Let me know your thoughts, please. :) If there are any other folks interested, feel free to comment and join the conversation.

Figments Friend

Sounds great..I'm always up for meeting up with fellow fans when the chance arises.

I'm planning of being out there in Anaheim before and after the Expo...and attending it for probably all three days.
I would be interested in getting together, yes!
I met a couple of folks I converse with last time I was at the Expo, and it added to the good vibes of the day.
Would totally be up for getting together with ya'all!

My suggestion would be to meet up in the Park itself, or perhaps a non-Park restaurant...maybe at one of the Disney owned hotels.
I suggest this because I know Raven is not attending the Expo, and it would be cool to be able to attract other fans in the area who may also not be attending but would enjoy meeting up.

All three hotels have decent places for meeting up.
Trader Sam's would be great, but it is likely to be packed due to the Expo crowd being in town.
Better yet, maybe @TP2000 will open up his den to us and we can all just go hang out in Villa Park away from the masses?
That boy has the right idea sometimes when it comes to escaping Expo madness.
:cool:

This is just another reminder that I really need to firm up my plans for this July....I still haven't booked anything yet!
:facepalm:

-

Figments Friend

The lobby of the Grand Californian used to be a swell meet up spot, but now that the security screening areas have shifted it is not as easy for non-Resort specific Guests to get to from street side.

I haven't been since the recent changes, but from what I've read ( do please correct me if this is wrong ) is that anyone can enter the lobby from the hotels main DTD entrance once past the security screening areas.
Non-hotel specific visitors cannot enter the hotel from Disneyland Drive or elsewhere outside of the security bubble.
Is this still the case?

Meeting up at a DTD location, Disney Hotel, or the Parks themselves is fine and would probably work best for everyone involved.
So now the fun part is choosing a spot.
:)

-

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The lobby of the Grand Californian used to be a swell meet up spot, but now that the security screening areas have shifted it is not as easy for non-Resort specific Guests to get to from street side.

I haven't been since the recent changes, but from what I've read ( do please correct me if this is wrong ) is that anyone can enter the lobby from the hotels main DTD entrance once past the security screening areas.
Non-hotel specific visitors cannot enter the hotel from Disneyland Drive or elsewhere outside of the security bubble.
Is this still the case?

Meeting up at a DTD location, Disney Hotel, or the Parks themselves is fine and would probably work best for everyone involved.

-

I was able to enter GC's lobby through DCA this past Friday.

An easy place to meet up at is a restaurant/store, or an attraction. Lincoln is a spot that comes to mind, since it's right at the beginning of Main Street.

Mike S

Is this still the case?

-
How about the Firehouse?

bcoachable

How many d23er's will get to Anaheim early and hit the park(s) for a few days, then spend the end of the week at d23? In other words will the parks be more crowded due to d23 before or after?

Mike S

How many d23er's will get to Anaheim early and hit the park(s) for a few days, then spend the end of the week at d23? In other words will the parks be more crowded due to d23 before or after?
Well, July 13th is my birthday and I'll be in Disneyland for that then the convention then back to DLR.

Figments Friend

Most folks show up a few days in advance, and stay a few days afterwards.
So the uptick in attendence is most noticable on those days leading up to and after the Expo, I would imagine.

During the days when the Expo is taking place the Parks are usually what they normally are for weekends as attendees are all over at the Anaheim Convention Center.
It is AFTER the Expo activities are over for the day(s) that you will likely notice the swelling of the crowds as many will visit the Parks in the evening.

When I attended in 2015 it was crazy crowded the Thursday before the Expo, as well as that whole weekend.
Even George Lucas was in the Park seeing 'Paint The Night'!
Things calmed down crowd wise in comparison by Tuesday / Wednesday.

-

180º

We have buffeterias, and they're quick service. It's not your typical quick service food though, definitely closer to table service. Plaza Inn and French Market are my favorites.
Plaza Inn is usually a great bet. It's my go-to when in a group.

@Mike S, all our buffets are usually Character meals, and they're expensive. As far as other table service, I have been disappointed by everything besides Blue Bayou in terms of value and quality. Our table service options are kind of a bummer compared to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom