D23 2012 Events announced Including Epcot's 30th

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
FROM D23'S website...
In 2012, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club will take the show on the road as it kicks off a yearlong celebration for D23 members with a bold lineup of fantastic events.

Throughout 2012, D23 will delight Disney fans from Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Palm Springs to Orlando, Burbank, and even Marceline, Missouri—Walt Disney’s boyhood hometown—with the thrill and excitement of unique Disney experiences.

“To help D23 celebrate its third “fanniversary,” we developed the most exciting lineup yet of special events to bring our members truly one-of-a-kind Disney experiences,” Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, says. “We’re excited to visit our fans all around the country, and to create events we hope will surprise and delight them.”

Starting the year are two new extraordinary experiences: D23′s Journey to Marceline and D23 Presents the Smoke Tree Ranch Roundup.
For the first time ever, a special tour of Walt’s boyhood hometown—Marceline, Missouri—will take place for D23 Members on March 14. Led by Disney archivists, the daylong Journey to Marceline explores this small town (population 2,221) in ways that will have special resonance for Disney fans.
In his later life, Walt found unique inspiration at Smoke Tree Ranch in Palm Springs, and during the incredible three-day Smoke Tree Ranch Roundup (January 23-25), D23 Members can experience this exclusive retreat in a completely unique way (click here to read more on Smoke Tree Ranch). In another first-of-its-kind immersive experience, Disney fans will get to see what Walt called “my own laughing place,” taking part in screenings, presentations, activities, and delectable meals, all while staying in a Smoke Tree Ranch cottage.

In the spring, D23 takes the party on the road with the D23 Fanniversary Celebration. It commemorates more than 40 unforgettable Disney magical milestones, each celebrating an anniversary in 2012. Hosted by Disney archivists, D23 Fanniversary Celebration events will be held in Orlando, New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and revisiting some of the most beloved Disney theme park attractions, animated and live-action films, TV series, and more from 85 years of Disney history. Fanniversary events will be open to the public, with special admission and surprises created especially for D23 Members in attendance.

In the summer, D23 will offer an all-new “Destination D” event, Destination D: 75 Years Of Disney Animation, held over the course of two days at the Disneyland Resort in California (August 11-12). As Disney marks the 75th anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, D23 marks the occasion by gathering many renowned Disney animation legends along with top Disney animators, voice talent (past and present), and composers—plus interesting demonstrations, fascinating presentations, autograph sessions, and the chance to see entertaining animation rarities from the Disney vaults—all in celebration of 75 years of Disney feature animation.

Throughout the year, D23 will continue its popular series of movie screenings at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank. With a new series, From the Vaults, D23 will bring favorite live-action films back to the big screen, including special 20th anniversary screenings of Newsies (February 25) and Sister Act (May 26), plus the classic Disney adaptation of Treasure Island (September 22). D23′s 50 and Fabulous series also returns in 2012, with In Search of the Castaways (June 23).

The year also includes four special weekends of D23 Member-only tours of The Walt Disney Studios and Walt Disney Archives in Burbank, which are planned for February 11-12, April 28-29, September 8-9, and November 10-11, doubling the capacity of these consistently sold-out D23 events.
In the fall, during Epcot’s International Food and Wine Festival, D23′s popular Sip & Stroll event gets a Halloween twist and becomes Sip & Scream (in October). And during the holiday season, D23 will again hold back-to-back presentations of its popular holiday offerings—Disney and Dickens (in Burbank in December) and Magic & Merriment (at Walt Disney World Resort; tentative dates: December 7-8 and 9-10), doubling your Disney holiday fun.

Look for more D23 events to be announced throughout the year, including details on an Epcot 30th anniversary celebration and a fun-filled D23 third anniversary party at the Disneyland Resort. All events and dates are subject to change.

RSoxNo1

The 30th Anniversary thing is intriguing. This could be an opportunity for D23 to take over the Anniversary celebrations for those people that feel that every 5 year anniversary should be celebrated.

If that's the direction they're taking, I love it.

menamechris

The 30th Anniversary thing is intriguing. This could be an opportunity for D23 to take over the Anniversary celebrations for those people that feel that every 5 year anniversary should be celebrated.

If that's the direction they're taking, I love it.

And I would join D23 if they did this. As of yet, there hasn't been enough activity in Orlando to encourage me to be a member.

ProjectGemini

I agree...intense, date specific celebrations seem right up D23's MO, where an intense fan would really enjoy it, but the everyday guest wouldn't really care

Figment1986

If they could do stuff like Destination D... and find things to do for 2 days or even just 1 and not stretch with things talked about already... and throw in a meet and greet with dreamfinder/figment I would go...

DarthGrady

I plan on being at EPCOT Center for it's 30th, sounds like a good time. I guess any hope for a JII refurb being done in time is totally nil. Oh well, at least I can watch EO and think of happier times.

flavious27

Hopefully they find a yearlong use of the WOL pavilion, there are many sponsors they could find in the public and private sectors.

kaos

I COMPLETELY missed that part of the D23 Fanfare!!! Guess it's not wise to read with a 2 year old pounding on the bathroom door.... :drevil:

PalisadesPkteer

OK, so we are now 7 months away from EPCOT's 30th Anniversary.

Lee, Martin, Raven, Communicore, danlb, Insider Imagine, Disneyroks etc.

Are we going to get more than just a "tag" to Illuminations ROE, a small ceremony at the FON and some guest speakers?

I was actually surprised that we got as much as we did for MK 40th Anniversary.

Any chance at all they could have a very small parade using the Tapestry of Nations puppets and .. if any .. drum floats from it?

Edit: would be nice if they announced they are bringing back the Lights of Winter, (even if it were for just 1 more year) but I know that they are probably chomping at the bit to bury them in some landfill.

Lee

Adventurer

Are we going to get more than just a "tag" to Illuminations ROE, a small ceremony at the FON and some guest speakers?
I have no idea, beyond some merchandise and likely some sort of ceremony.
But something is definately planned...

Attachments

• e30b.jpg
    e30b.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 114

PalisadesPkteer

I have no idea, beyond some merchandise and likely some sort of ceremony.
But something is definately planned...

Thank you Lee.

Maybe we will get lucky once again and get more than we expect.

Really did not think we would get much for MK 40th Anniversary but was pleasantly surprised.

Like the thumbnail image. Will like this kind of logo on a really nice polo shirt.

Or maybe a few items with the old EPCOT Center logos??

Anyway, thanks for all the info. Hope to meet you someday at WDW, would like to swap stories of past WDW and DL vacations with you.

I know you can not go into details. But do you feel that from what you know we will be pleasantly surprised like we were with MK 40th?

MarkTwain

OK, so we are now 7 months away from EPCOT's 30th Anniversary.

I was actually surprised that we got as much as we did for MK 40th Anniversary.

Any chance at all they could have a very small parade using the Tapestry of Nations puppets and .. if any .. drum floats from it?

Edit: would be nice if they announced they are bringing back the Lights of Winter, (even if it were for just 1 more year) but I know that they are probably chomping at the bit to bury them in some landfill.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::sohappy::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

wendysue

After being totally Underwhelmed at MK's 40th, I think we'll skip the 30th of Epcot. I'm sure they will have some SPECIAL merchandise, but only the ones who get there at 4 a.m. or know exactly where to be at a certain moment will get anything.

Communicore

Maybe Communicore will be restored, or at least brightened up and the long hidden Computer Central will be exposed once again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom