D23’s Epcot 30th Anniversary celebration

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
This was just announced today: D23’s Epcot 30th Anniversary celebration to be held at Walt Disney World, will include Imagineer presentations

I have GOT to find a way to get myself down there for this.

MKCP 1985

I've been waiting for the details, and am glad to know what this will entail.

Check out the logo:

093012.EE_.EVENT_Epcot30-feat.jpg

If we go down for the Tower of Terror 10 mile run and postpone our return by a day, we should be able to make this. (already registered for the sold-out race) :king:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Seriously? $185 for the good package, $65 for the basic?

And everything at the 25th was free?

Looks like somebody stumbled onto a revenue stream. I'll pass.

(The Lee meet and greet will be free again this year.:cool:)
Passing as well. I would much rather hang out with my friends and the Celebration crew and gorge on desserts for 1/3 the price.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know some of the team who've been digging through the archives, and they have indeed found some real gems.

But like Lee said, charging for what was free 5 years ago? Disgusting. Unless someone opens the back door, I'm with Yoda. I'll party with my friends and the real fans.

MKCP 1985

I think we agree that Disney should have done something for the 25th and without the efforts of passionate Epcot fans, nothing would have happened.

There has been some commentary that D23 is well equipped to carry the ball for these type events, and it is not a surprise that attendance comes at a cost. And Disney being Disney, there's no surprise that the cost is substantial.

All that said, I'm glad D23 is taking the initiative to put a program together. I hope that my travel plans will allow me to attend.

And I take exception to the comment "real fans." The "us versus them" is silly and needlessly divisive among a dedicated group who share the same enjoyment of Disney parks and nostalgia.

dxwwf3

I don't know guys, this looks like a one day Destination D level event. This lineup looks absolutely amazing to me. I would love to attend this, but I would have to miss two of the biggest football games of the year for me. If this event were on Monday, as opposed to Sunday, I would be booking airfare now.

dxwwf3

I can only hope that some people will be able to video tape some of this stuff. I know some of the best stuff from Destination D made its way on YouTube. Ugh this looks like the perfect event to attend, but at the absolute worst time of the year.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And I take exception to the comment "real fans." The "us versus them" is silly and needlessly divisive among a dedicated group who share the same enjoyment of Disney parks and nostalgia.
No offence meant. I know most of us, present company included, are die hards. It just annoys me that in spite of corporate Disney the 25th was a fantastic event. 5 years later, they think they can make money on the celebration.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No offence meant. I know most of us, present company included, are die hards. It just annoys me that in spite of corporate Disney the 25th was a fantastic event. 5 years later, they think they can make money on the celebration.
After the success of C25 I think we all expected it. Still does not make it any less swarmy, but it was expected. Out of all of the great things that happened of the 25th, the ones that have stuck with me were the ones Disney had little or nothing to do with. I doubt the 30th will be any different. I could go with a little dryer though.:lol:

Lee

Adventurer
There has been some commentary that D23 is well equipped to carry the ball for these type events, and it is not a surprise that attendance comes at a cost.
Not a surprise that it comes at a cost...but it is annoying. It would certainly be a nice gesture to offer such things to fans free of charge. Especially since it is going to cost the company relatively little.

I could go with a little dryer though.:lol:

Sorry...the "Rain-Free" package costs extra, and is reserved for paying D23 members.

dxwwf3

It would certainly be a nice gesture to offer such things to fans free of charge.

It would be, but with the current state of the parks being that very little is aimed at the fans and that almost no original park specific attractions are coming to American parks, I'll take any goodwill towards the fans at all. Even if there is a cost to get it.

Kuhio

Other than the D23 celebration, what other options are out there for fan-based get-togethers centered on Epcot's 30th? Will there be a casual WDWMagic get-together for posters from these forums?

I was at Epcot's 25th and really enjoyed the general atmosphere -- and, of course, the price for the various official events couldn't be beat. I'm not sure I want to shell out the bucks for the Epcot 30th D23 stuff, but on the other hand, I think it would be nice to hang out with (or at least meet) other people this time around, as opposed to going it on my own.

Lee

Adventurer
Other than the D23 celebration, what other options are out there for fan-based get-togethers centered on Epcot's 30th? Will there be a casual WDWMagic get-together for posters from these forums?

I was at Epcot's 25th and really enjoyed the general atmosphere -- and, of course, the price for the various official events couldn't be beat. I'm not sure I want to shell out the bucks for the Epcot 30th D23 stuff, but on the other hand, I think it would be nice to hang out with (or at least meet) other people this time around, as opposed to going it on my own.

www.wdwcelebrations.com/

MKCP 1985

Here is the lineup of the day's events for anyone who did not see them.

Presentations Include:

•Hooray for the 21st Century – Disney Legend and former Walt Disney Imagineering Principal Creative Executive Marty Sklar joins D23 guests via a virtual presentation, where we see and hear what it was like to work with Walt Disney on his original vision for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Along the way, learn about Marty’s favorite memories working on the EPCOT Center project with a team of passionate Imagineers.
•The Music of EPCOT Center – Some of Epcot’s most passionate fans agree that the park’s soundtrack has created one of its most lasting legacies that continue to help “makin’ memories” around the world. Join Disney historians and songwriters as we explore the incredible world of Epcot music, celebrating the talents of such Epcot songwriters and composers as Bob Moline, Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman, George Wilkins, Buddy Baker, X. Atencio, Peter Stougaard, Russell Brower, Edo Guidotti and others who have left a permanent musical mark on the park’s creative legacy. Along the way, hear stories about the recording sessions, learn about some fascinating alternate versions of some of your favorite melodies, and sing along to your favorite Epcot tunes!
•“We Can Do It!” – Disney Legends and EPCOT Center creators review the immense challenge that loomed ahead of them when bringing Epcot to reality in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Guests will hear stories of trips to foreign countries to secure participants in the World Showcase concept, what life was like inside the largest private construction project in the world, and how they readied its highly anticipated opening day.
•“We’ve Just Begun to Dream” – Join Disney Legend Ron Logan and other key Disney entertainment veterans as they reminisce about the official EPCOT Center opening festivities that remain among the most elaborate Disney has ever staged. This presentation will include rare footage from the grand openings of various Future World and World Showcase pavilions, which were held throughout October 1982. 

•“Makin’ Memories: Epcot on Film” – Join former Disney Imagineer Bob Garner and Disney author and historian Tim O’Day as they cast a “Magic Eye” on the marvelous world of Epcot on film. Bob was closely involved in the creation of film documentation and production at Epcot, including special video elements of Future World and World Showcase pavilions and such promotional films as EPCOT Center: The Opening Celebration.
•“Looking Back at Tomorrow” – Few Epcot visitors, even its most avid fans, realize The Land pavilion was almost called “Harvest Tomorrow” or that Figment was slated to co-host an “Images & Imagination” pavilion with “Professor Marvel.” With recently discovered materials from the Walt Disney Archives, join Disney archivists as they examine how the “dreamers and doers” developed favorite Epcot attractions of the past including Horizons, Journey into Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret, World of Motion, the Astuter Computer Revue, and the original Universe of Energy.
•“The EPCOT Center That Never Was” – Using rare concept artwork, guests will glimpse what it was like to design Epcot with Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Vice President Tony Baxter, designer and producer for several beloved Epcot pavilions, and explore early versions of Epcot attractions that never made it off the drawing board.
•“Imagineering Epcot: An Extra Perceptive Close-up Of Things – Fans of wall-to-wall carpeting and leapfrog fountains unite! Disney Imagineers Jason Surrell, Jason Grandt, and Alex Wright return with a humorous exploration of the details that make Epcot so unique. From miniature gardens to massive buildings (and every international food and beverage offering in between), they’ll show what makes Future World and World Showcase like no place else on earth.

Jakester

I plan to be at Epcot for my 1st Epcot Rope drop on Monday, October 1, 2012, and watch IllumiNations, Im hoping they have a speech type event like at MKs 40th, and a special tag for IllumiNations like the 25th.

Unless something interesting is happening during the day, I plan to parkhop to Animal Kingdom from 12pm - 4pm.

But then, This is still 4months away.

SMRT-1

yes, the price points do seem a bit dramatic. a $99 whole shabang probably would have been better. i guess some will pay it though. i'm really only interested in the presentations. i'll pass on the cupcake.

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
I will be there, I can't come over three thousand miles and not!

Only doing the day ticket though as I had already booked MNSSHP for the evening :brick:

Doing it on my lonesome as my husband is buying me the ticket under the condition that he doesn't have to come and can have a day of single rider lines ;)

WDW1974

Typical and not surprising.

And 90% of what will be seen/heard/presented will be the same stuff that has been so many times before.

It's all about the money with the Mouse. I guess this is designed to 'force' some extra fanbois into becoming D23 members.

I'll pass. I've heard far better (and truer) tales (meaning unsanitized) from folks like Marty and Tony and Richard on a one-on-one basis where I didn't pay a penny.

I wish the D23 folks well ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom