Curtains Missing and No One Seems to Care?

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
I'm sure people may have noticed, but I've found that major curtains that are essential to the story transitions from small screens to wide screens are missing at Ellen's Energy Adventure and Mickey's Philharmagic. I also noticed that the curtains at the American Adventure are terribly out of sync with the video, completely ruining the effect of turning from drawing to color in one of the first scenes. Anyone know what's up? It seems Disney has been really bad with curtains lately.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm sure people may have noticed, but I've found that major curtains that are essential to the story transitions from small screens to wide screens are missing at Ellen's Energy Adventure and Mickey's Philharmagic. I also noticed that the curtains at the American Adventure are terribly out of sync with the video, completely ruining the effect of turning from drawing to color in one of the first scenes. Anyone know what's up? It seems Disney has been really bad with curtains lately.

Ellen's curtains have been inoperable for quite a few years, unfortunately.

Castle Cake Apologist

That still doesn't excuse the failure.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember doesn't give them a free pass.

I'm not sure how my post gave you the impression that I was excusing the failure. I apologize if the post come across vague.

There is absolutely no excuse for it. It's poor show through and through. The film in Ellen even alludes to the fact that curtains should be parting. Quite a bit of the WOW factor of Philharmagic is lost without the curtain effects and the same to American Adventure.

I was actually trying to make a point opposite of how you read my post. I was pointing out the fact that the curtain effect on UoE has been shut off for years to make the point that this decline in show quality has been going on for quite a bit too long.

Castle Cake Apologist

Maybe it isn't a failure, maybe they just decided not to do it anymore.

That would not make sense from a show standpoint. Nobody is denying that the effect being off is intentional, but the decision to do so is certainly a failure. In the film itself, Ellen has a line that alludes to the moment when the curtains used to part to make the screen suddenly HUGE. Both the line and the effect of the film widening don't make a lot of sense without the effect.

lunchbox1175

That would not make sense from a show standpoint. Nobody is denying that the effect being off is intentional, but the decision to do so is certainly a failure. In the film itself, Ellen has a line that alludes to the moment when the curtains used to part to make the screen suddenly HUGE. Both the line and the effect of the film widening don't make a lot of sense without the effect.
Ah....well then it definitely needs some updating. I have only ridden it once about 5 years ago, because I found it a huge waste of time and space.

jt04

Sometimes when they start neglecting maintenance on an attraction it means it is being phased out. It seems to me the venue would make for great convention space if attached to a shiny new hotel. One can hope.

jt04

Why not just close down FW altogether and make it all hotels, convention space and another Festival Center. And throw in a little gambling.

All of the meeting/convention facilities could be centered around the new hotel with the WoL space being converted back to attraction space :D

And the dinosaurs would be much happier in Dinoland. Win win.

Also it could allow for the UK pavilion to expand some day.

Win win win.

Kman101

Unless there's some plan for a redo that's sat on a shelf collecting dust for years, it seems they either think UOE is just fine as it is, or they simply have no idea what to do with it. It's horribly dated IMO.

willtravel

If Disney does not care about FW, instead of it dying a slow, painful death, just close it down. Just on park I would not go to anymore.

jt04

Unless there's some plan for a redo that's sat on a shelf collecting dust for years, it seems they either think UOE is just fine as it is, or they simply have no idea what to do with it. It's horribly dated IMO.

That is for sure. Time to bring FW into the future. It can be done. Mission Space is a good example. As is Soarin.

Kman101

I enjoy both of them, but for some reason Mission Space has never been a "must do" for me. Same with Soarin'. Or Nemo. And even Test Track doesn't thrill me anymore. Figment and UOE are fairly embarassing and need updates.

I think Future World could be so much more than it is. I know I'm likely alone in that, but it personally gives me very basically nothing to do, even though I like the attractions. None of them to me make me want to ride again and again. Soarin' could depending on the update they get. And believe it or not, I really like Epcot. So it's not that. I think the other three parks have much many more rides that lead you to want to constantly re-ride them. Spaceship Earth gives me that. Test Track used to but ehhh, it's very basic. Mission Space, I dunno, I think they could do better. It's probably time for an update with that one too.

It seems to me that they're in the situation where they should have been updating these rides over the last couple of years and now they're stuck with attractions that pretty much BEG for an update, so instead of spending money over the years, they now face the realization they need to pour a ton of money into them, so that's why I think things aren't getting done. Coupled with them probably not getting much money because it sounds like WDW as a whole is getting punished for the cost of MM+ (not saying we need to get into cost overruns, whether it's true or not but it seems to me that money is being withheld because of how much that cost, whether it went over it's budget or not).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom