Curtailing Third Party Resale

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
After seeing this pic on the interwebs I starting thinking, what if Disney started scanning the magic band with all cash or credit purchases. Then they could put a limit such as 1 per guest per day on popular items and stop the hoarders selling merchandise on third party markets.

The story behind the pic. Supposedly this person was seen buying the entire supply of popcorn buckets just after park opening.

http://i.imgur.com/yOxh19k.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

If they were able to scan a barcode on said item then have the guest scan their magic band. That might curb it for a limit on a limited edition items

epcotisbest

After seeing this pic on the interwebs I starting thinking, what if Disney started scanning the magic band with all cash or credit purchases. Then they could put a limit such as 1 per guest per day on popular items and stop the hoarders selling merchandise on third party markets.

The story behind the pic. Supposedly this person was seen buying the entire supply of popcorn buckets just after park opening.

Not sure I understand why Disney would want to limit sales on such a high margin item.

AndyS2992

If it was an every day mass produced item that is always available then yeah, buy as many as you want.

However, the problem with the Cinderella bucket is that it is limited edition and once they are gone they are gone and people like this will be visiting several times a week to buy up most of the stock to sell on eBay at four times the price meaning genuine buyers who want one will not be able to get one. That is the problem with the above photo.

''The Cinderella Carriage premium popcorn bucket is exclusive and only available for a limited time at Disney Parks.''

It retails at $13.50 with popcorn inside, the below website is selling just the bucket for $34.95 with no popcorn.

http://www.yourwdwstore.net/Disney-Popcorn-Bucket--Cinderella-Carriage_p_30686.html

Last edited:

HakunaMatata89

wow.
but at the same time they can't really limit the purchases that people make, just discourage it.

i guess they could sue the sellers for the extra money but thats about it.

nuhuelins

They don't care who is buying it as long as it's getting bought.
3n.jpg

copcarguyp71

Why would Disney really care about this? If their shelves are empty at the end of the day by third party buyers then why would they discourage it and potentially have product left on the shelves. Everyone on here talks about how great Disney's bottom line is and to heck with the experience if the company makes money (which I disagree with) but this is capitalism at its finest so....yeah, I doubt they give a care that someone didn't get the plush Eeyore of their dreams as long as they have a strong financial quarter.

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
Why would Disney really care about this? If their shelves are empty at the end of the day by third party buyers then why would they discourage it and potentially have product left on the shelves. Everyone on here talks about how great Disney's bottom line is and to heck with the experience if the company makes money (which I disagree with) but this is capitalism at its finest so....yeah, I doubt they give a care that someone didn't get the plush Eeyore of their dreams as long as they have a strong financial quarter.

I know it's all about the bottom line and as long as the product is sold what does Disney care to who or how it's sold, but deep down in me I want to believe there is someone with authority in TDO that would want to limit this to some extent and make the Disney experience enjoyable for all of their guests.

copcarguyp71

I know it's all about the bottom line and as long as the product is sold what does Disney care to who or how it's sold, but deep down in me I want to believe there is someone with authority in TDO that would want to limit this to some extent and make the Disney experience enjoyable for all of their guests.

In a perfect world...yes. In the world where upper level corporate bonuses are based on profitability and where execs don't even set foot in the parks in lieu of the boardroom...not so much

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They don't care who is buying it as long as it's getting bought.
Just quoting you to avoid multi-quoting, as this line of thinking is prevelant in this thread.

Let me explain, in it's simplest form, why this is wrong headed.

There is a set number of those popcorn buckets. Whatever it is, let's call it 100 for simplicities sake. You can sell those to one loser guy and make $1395 or you can sell them to 100 individual guests and make $1395. Now, why would or rather should, Disney care if it was 1 or 100 guests? A little thing called guest satisfaction. You sell to 1 guy, then you have 99 unhappy guests. You sell to 100 individuals, that's 100 happy guests. It's simple. Those buckets will sell, it's simply a matter of guest satisfaction at this point.

epcotisbest

If it was an every day mass produced item that is always available then yeah, buy as many as you want.

However, the problem with the Cinderella bucket is that it is limited edition and once they are gone they are gone and people like this will be visiting several times a week to buy up most of the stock to sell on eBay at four times the price meaning genuine buyers who want one will not be able to get one. That is the problem with the above photo.

''The Cinderella Carriage premium popcorn bucket is exclusive and only available for a limited time at Disney Parks.''

It retails at $13.50 with popcorn inside, the below website is selling just the bucket for $34.95 with no popcorn.

http://www.yourwdwstore.net/Disney-Popcorn-Bucket--Cinderella-Carriage_p_30686.html

It is a marketing strategy that you have completely bought into. Call something premium and exclusive, available for a limited time and you create demand, designed to sell with a sense of urgency. If it was called limited edition then sold everywhere in unlimited quantities, people would be complaining, and rightfully so, that there are too many of the item and it is not really special at all.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It is a marketing strategy that you have completely bought into. Call something premium and exclusive, available for a limited time and you create demand, designed to sell with a sense of urgency. If it was called limited edition then sold everywhere in unlimited quantities, people would be complaining, and rightfully so, that there are too many of the item and it is not really special at all.
Irrelevant. If one guy is buying an entire stock of them, and leaving the next "x" number of guests to be dissatisfied, that is bad business practice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom