Currently Have Off-site Hotel during 50th - Worth it to switch to On-site?

JohnD

Original Poster
I'm an Annual Passholder going to the 50th anniversary with an off-site stay at Marriott Springhill Suites Flamingo Crossing for 9/30-10/6. Total of $755.57. If I were to switch to All Star Music, for example, it would cost me almost $1,200. Would it really be worth it to switch to an on-site stay for, say, early admission or bus transportation to parks?

Or just keep my reservation and plan on getting up early every morning to drive to the parks. (I also get free parking and breakfast).

Disstevefan1

I'm an Annual Passholder going to the 50th anniversary with an off-site stay at Marriott Springhill Suites Flamingo Crossing for 9/30-10/6. Total of $755.57. If I were to switch to All Star Music, for example, it would cost me almost $1,200. Would it really be worth it to switch to an on-site stay for, say, early admission or bus transportation to parks?

Or just keep my reservation and plan on getting up early every morning to drive to the parks. (I also get free parking and breakfast).
You may be paying for Fastpasses by then, so maybe staying off site is better. Besides, the offsite suites are probably better?

Wendy Pleakley

How many days? If you're going to WDW all seven days you'd pay an extra $64 or so per day, plus parking.

Early morning entry should get you an extra ride in each morning. Bus transportation may be more relaxing vs. driving yourself, but that comes down to personal preference. It could also take longer than driving in, depending on morning crowds.

Then there's that "Disney magic" of staying in the bubble.

$450 probably wouldn't be enough to get me off property, but it really comes down to your personal preferences and finances.

JohnD

Original Poster
How many days? If you're going to WDW all seven days you'd pay an extra $64 or so per day, plus parking.

Early morning entry should get you an extra ride in each morning. Bus transportation may be more relaxing vs. driving yourself, but that comes down to personal preference. It could also take longer than driving in, depending on morning crowds.

Then there's that "Disney magic" of staying in the bubble.

$450 probably wouldn't be enough to get me off property, but it really comes down to your personal preferences and finances.

As I mentioned above 9/30-10/6. 6 nights. As an AP, I get three rolling park reservations which I have for 10/1 (Ep), 10/2 (MK), and 10/3 (HS). I'll reserve my 10/4 rolling reservations for AK on 10/2. 10/5 is wide open at this point but I have tickets for the Boo Bash that night. Checking out on the 6th.

Yeah. I've finally gotten used to driving around WDW so since I get free parking as an AP, I'll "splurge" for the $25 free parking on each day. I've tended to waking up earlier recently so getting up to drive to the parks shouldn't be a problem. My only concern is everyone else driving in for the 50th. But then again, on-site guests will be maxing out WDW transportation also.

Tomi-Rocket

Personally I would always choose to stay on property rather than off if I can. Always. I’ve done both and staying off property only reinforced my feeling of preferring to stay on. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:

skypilot2922

Marriott has better beds and breakfast food than the All Star's (anything) plus free parking whats not to like plus you get points !!!

JohnD

Original Poster
Marriott has better beds and breakfast food than the All Star's (anything) plus free parking whats not to like plus you get points !!!

Very true. I'm not seeing much upside to staying on property this time. I'll just redirect the $25 I would have paid for resort parking to preferred parking in the park lots instead (as an AP I get free parking at the parks unless I want to upgrade to preferred).

Ahsoka102

In the Parks
No
Just my opinion, but for me, it wouldn't be worth the extra 30 minutes each day to move on-site to a Value Resort. Losing your free breakfast, free parking, and most likely larger, more comfortable hotel room for an extra 30 minutes and bus transportation. However, it might be worth it to stay at the Swan and Dolphin and get the extended evening hours in addition to early park entry. They have an AP Holder rate where you can save up to 30% of the regular rate. Obviously, it will be more than the Value resort, but you will get much more for your money. A much nicer room, bus and boat transportation, within walking distance of DHS & Epcot, and the extended evening hours.

I am taking my family in January 2022. I currently have a house booked off property but depending on what happens with FastPass and what exactly those extended evening hours end up looking like (how often and how many hours) I may consider booking at S&D or maybe doing a split stay S&D and off property.

Last edited:

JohnD

Original Poster
Just my opinion, but for me, it wouldn't be worth the extra 30 minutes each day to move on-site to a Value Resort. Losing your free breakfast, free parking, and most likely larger, more comfortable hotel room for an extra 30 minutes and bus transportation. However, it might be worth it to stay at the Swan and Dolphin and get the extended evening hours in addition to early park entry. They have an AP Holder rate where you can save up to 30% of the regular rate. Obviously, it will be more than the Value resort, but you will get much more for your money. A much nicer room, bus and boat transportation, within walking distance of DHS & Epcot, and the extended evening hours.

I am taking my family in Janurary 2022. I currently have a house booked off property but depending on what happens with FastPass and what exactly those extended evening hours end up looking like (how often and how many hours) I may consider booking at S&D or maybe doing a split stay S&D and off property.

Something to think about but as a solo traveler who works for the State of Florida, I'll have to do the research. It still may be too pricey for me.

Sans Souci

Something to think about but as a solo traveler who works for the State of Florida, I'll have to do the research. It still may be too pricey for me.

Swan/Dolphin sometimes has government rates available. They are pretty broad about which "government." My husband is a federal employee and he was able to get a discount there. He just has to show his ID at check. I would think a state government employee would count, too.

I don't blame you for staying off site. I think it's more of pain in the butt when you've got children in tow. But if it is just one or two people, it doesn't seem like such a hardship.

aliceismad

Swan/Dolphin sometimes has government rates available. They are pretty broad about which "government." My husband is a federal employee and he was able to get a discount there. He just has to show his ID at check. I would think a state government employee would count, too.

I don't blame you for staying off site. I think it's more of pain in the butt when you've got children in tow. But if it is just one or two people, it doesn't seem like such a hardship.
I thought you weren't supposed to stay on Govt rate unless you're at that hotel to support Govt work. Maybe I was taught incorrectly and it's sometimes more akin to a teacher rate/firefighter rate, etc.

Ahsoka102

In the Parks
No
I thought you weren't supposed to stay on Govt rate unless you're at that hotel to support Govt work. Maybe I was taught incorrectly and it's sometimes more akin to a teacher rate/firefighter rate, etc.
It all depends on the hotel and the paticular rate details. For S&D the GOV rate is for leisure travel only. Sometimes a military or GOV rate requires you to be on military orders or on official government travel but it will specify that in the rate rules or term and conditions.

Sans Souci

My husband thought that, too. Other people in his agency said they used their discounts on holidays and he was skeptical. He works for an agency within the Department of the Treasury. He contacted ethics and they told him it was up to the discretion of the hotel. If the hotel stipulates that discount is for employees there for work, then you may only book for that reason. If there is no stipulation, then it's ok to book.

These are all of the different S/D discounts for certain populations, the government discount is the last one listed.

JohnD

Original Poster
My husband thought that, too. Other people in his agency said they used their discounts on holidays and he was skeptical. He works for an agency within the Department of the Treasury. He contacted ethics and they told him it was up to the discretion of the hotel. If the hotel stipulates that discount is for employees there for work, then you may only book for that reason. If there is no stipulation, then it's ok to book.

These are all of the different S/D discounts for certain populations, the government discount is the last one listed.

I'm on a AAA rate at the Marriott Springhill Suites Flamingo Crossing. Plus I'm a Marriott Bonvoy member which helps. It turns out that AAA are better rates. BTW, I just looked at Swan, Dolphin, and Swan Reserve. The least expensive is Swan Reserve for $436/night. Even with an AP 30% off rate, it would be $305.20. I'd rather stay where I am for an average of $126/night.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

No. WDW onsite booking is a mess right now. If you have to call, it is usually an hour on hold or more. Offsite hotels want your business, and we've had much better experiences offsite.

The Flamingo Crossing area is brand new! Everything is super clean. We stayed at both a Marriott property: not sure which one of the two, but it was shortly before the pandemic started, a 3rd one is opening soon), AND at the Hilton Property, and that one was REALLY nice. And just an amazing deal! We usually stay deluxe, and highly recommend the Hilton Property. All three include breakfast, so that also really helps. Of them, I'd say the Hilton had the best breakfast.

JohnD

Original Poster
No. WDW onsite booking is a mess right now. If you have to call, it is usually an hour on hold or more. Offsite hotels want your business, and we've had much better experiences offsite.

The Flamingo Crossing area is brand new! Everything is super clean. We stayed at both a Marriott property: not sure which one of the two, but it was shortly before the pandemic started, a 3rd one is opening soon), AND at the Hilton Property, and that one was REALLY nice. And just an amazing deal! We usually stay deluxe, and highly recommend the Hilton Property. All three include breakfast, so that also really helps. Of them, I'd say the Hilton had the best breakfast.

If your room had a kitchenette, you stayed at Townhomes. If not, then Springhill Suites.

MickeyLuv'r

Very true. I'm not seeing much upside to staying on property this time. I'll just redirect the $25 I would have paid for resort parking to preferred parking in the park lots instead (as an AP I get free parking at the parks unless I want to upgrade to preferred).
If you plan to arrive early, I didn't see any real value to paying the extra $25. Maybe if you plan to arrive late morning. (but even then, I didn't think the small difference was worth the upcharge).

skypilot2922

If you chose to stay at Homewood suites you would even get dinner included in your stay (along with breakfast) I admit dinner is usually uninspiring but its tasty and filling and after a long day with a client just some food and a beer or two (also included) is all I need

MickeyLuv'r

If your room had a kitchenette, you stayed at Townhomes. If not, then Springhill Suites.
Truly, I don't recall.

But I looked it up, and it was the Springhill Suites. It was nice. As I said earlier though, the Hilton suites hotel was REALLY nice.

Another favorite Orlando though is the Residence Inn near Universal. I think the new Marriott that's about to open is a Residence Inn. If it is like the one by Universal, it will be very nice, especially once a few of the new restaurants open up over that way. I mean, the rooms are just about perfect, IMO. I really love the entire layout of the room, like the television swivels. That's just so convenient! Also, plenty of outlets for charging electric devices!

The only downside of the Residence Inn compared to on WDW property is that the pools aren't as well themed. Since you mentioned the value resorts though, those don't have pool slides. the value pools are themed, but not like the mod and deluxe WDW hotel pools. The Townhomes and Springhill pool is pretty basic. On the plus, there were grills.

JohnD

Original Poster
If you plan to arrive early, I didn't see any real value to paying the extra $25. Maybe if you plan to arrive late morning. (but even then, I didn't think the small difference was worth the upcharge).

When I was at WDW last month, I used preferred parking once at Epcot. My feet were thankful! Of course by that time, having walked from the other side of WS lagoon to the front of the park into the parking lot, walking a little farther probably wouldn't have made much of difference. I might use it for Boo Bash night on 10/5. I'm thinking of parking at the TTC, taking the monorail to Epcot for the day, returning to MK via the monorail for the Boo Bash, then going straight to my car in preferred parking at the TTC afterward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom