Currently booked at Pop Century, are the Disney Springs hotels just as good?

joejccva71

Original Poster
The prices are about the same roughly between Pop Century or even the All-Star value resorts in comparison to the Disney Springs hotels. I'm going to be staying 7 nights at the end of July, beginning of August so going back to the hotel and taking a pool break will most likely happen every day. I'll also park hop each day and do MK in the morning and then do a pool break, grab dinner and then go to AK or Epcot or something at night.

Would staying at Pop probably benefit me more than staying at a DS hotel? I'm kinda worried about the bus service from the DS hotels.

Any advice?

wagner1225

Staying on site you don't have transportations problems, DS hotels are probably better quality in some respects but your not what they call onsite with those amenities , and they buses we took in the past from DS took forever

Dansr731

We’ve stayed at the Double Tree twice. All the rooms are 2 room suites with refrigerator and microwave. Only one bathroom. They have bus service to all the parks and Disney Springs. You do share busses with 3 other hotels. I believe you can get fast passes at 60 days as well. They also have a breakfast buffet that is about $12-15.

thomas998

I hear ya. This will be my first stay at Pop Century. Looking forward to it!
Frankly I would suggest you rent a car and stay at an offsite resort if you plan on going back and forth on a continual basis. We've stayed at the budget Disney hotels and frankly they suck for the price. Pretty much the size of a Motel 6 for the price of a typical 3 or 4 star hotel. Even if you are dead set on staying at an onsite hotel I would suggest a rental car because you will lose a lot of time using buses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Transportation is, IMO, a big issue for the DS resorts if you don't have a car. Their buses come "every 30 minutes" (no set time, though) and hit several other hotels and two parks, so, the ride is much longer than it needs to be. If you don't have a car, being in one of the hotels closest to DS helps because you can walk to and from there (and the nearby Saratoga stop). And Uber/Lyft also mitigate the transportation issues.

The bus situation at Pop is the best of all the Disney resorts because they have one bus station with direct buses to all the parks. (Because of that, if you ever leave a park before 4 PM and want to go to DS, transfer through the Pop or AoA bus... whichever comes first).

Being Value, Pop doesn't have a lot of the amenities you want at that price point, like a gym, e.g. OTOH, the two DS Area resorts I stayed out had the appearance of a higher end resort, but, in so many ways... wasn't any where near being a deluxe accommodation like their big name would suggest. What good is a gym or a lobby store if they close by the time you get back from the park?

As for me, I'd chose Pop over a DS hotel. But if I can't book Pop, then I'd go with a DS hotel.

monykalyn

I've stayed at Pop, All star sports, Doubletree (disney springs) and B Resort within last 6 months. busses kinda suck no matter what-at least with Pop you have option of also hopping on AoA bus if it comes first. Took bus from Doubletree to MK-definitely a bit longer ride with extra stops, but doable. We prefer the space of the Doubletree (and price) vs value onsite. But I did enjoy the stays at Pop and ASSp. B Resort is also very nice. We did have a car when staying at DS hotels but didn't use it to go to parks. At least the DS hotels have coffee makers, fridge and microwaves in rooms...

If it is just you or you and one other person I'd stick with Pop...

CaptainJackNO

Stay with Pop Century. The Disney buses run every 20 minutes (or less) where DS hotels run every 30 minutes, regardless of crowds. This is a major problem at park closings, because if a bus fills up, even if you've already waited over 30 minutes, you have to wait for the next bus. Transportation for DS hotels is terrible, plus the themeing at any Disney Hotel, value or not, is superb.

Stay at Pop, and ask for a room with a view of Spaceship Earth.

Last edited:

slappy magoo

Transportation for DS hotels is terrible, plus the themeing at any Disney Hotel, value or not, is superb.

Stay at Pop, and ask for a room with a view of Spaceship Earth.

The themeing of the Values' exteriors can be impressive, but once you're in the room...except for AoA the themeing isn't particularly strong. And the rooms are really small. For people who are really only in the room to sleep shower and sh...ower again because it's so hot (what? What did you think I'd write?), and for people who might be tinier than I am (spoiler - that would be many of you), that might not be a big deal. But I think the rooms would be pretty claustrophobic for a week long trip. I don't know if the OP is going alone or with 1 2 or 3 people but the bigger the party, the more you'll probably notice how small the rooms are. At least if you get a refurbished Pop room, you'll get the queen beds with one folding up and making more space to move around when you're not sleeping.

But me, for a week long trip and my family of 4, the fact that we almost always drive so waiting for buses isn't an issue, with Disney Springs hotels currently offering extra magic hours and 60 day FP+ reservations, I'd probably consider a DS hotel with a view.

Tom 55

I have stayed at All stars and POP before. I believe that POP is the best value resort. Here is why. Size of resort you are closer to main building and buses. Buses, you have your own bus not shared with other resorts. Can hop on AoA bus and just walk across bridge as option. Will be my third stay at POP this September.

daisyduckie

The prices are about the same roughly between Pop Century or even the All-Star value resorts in comparison to the Disney Springs hotels. I'm going to be staying 7 nights at the end of July, beginning of August so going back to the hotel and taking a pool break will most likely happen every day. I'll also park hop each day and do MK in the morning and then do a pool break, grab dinner and then go to AK or Epcot or something at night.

Would staying at Pop probably benefit me more than staying at a DS hotel? I'm kinda worried about the bus service from the DS hotels.

Any advice?

I think your gut feeling is right, the bus service from the Disney Springs resorts is not up to par with Disney transportation. Especially if you plan on taking breaks each day. Stick with the Pop. Or if you want to save a little more, book an All Star. I like all Disney values.

richard53uk

Any advice?
stayed there in may it was realy bad stayed at all stars 6 times much better wont go back to pop might not go back to Disney room not ready key didnt work 4 times on our first night got to bed at one terrible place no thank you disney

CaptainJackNO

Something else to consider is when you check availability and pricing for Disney Springs Hotels, the initial rate quoted looks cheaper; however, once you kick in resort fees, parking fees, and taxes, you are paying as much or more as you would at a Disney Value Resort. This happened to me. Plus, if you drive, traffic congestion in the DS area is unbearable and bumper to bumper between about 10 am and 10 pm. The bus transportation, while the buses are nice, often pick up multiple hotels and only run every 30 minutes by the clock. As I stated in a prior post, if you are have been waiting for 30 minutes and are unlucky to not get to the next bus before it fills up, you'll be waiting another 30 minutes.

Stay at POP or an All Star. The conveniences are worth it. Plus, you will want to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours.

BrerJon

I often see the Disney bus system being used as justification for paying the eye watering premium to stay in a Disney hotel, but staying in a Disney Springs hotel and getting around with Uber or Lyft can be a far better and cheaper experience. Yeah it's a free bus vs a $10 cab, but you're paying $75 extra for it that bus doesn't seem so free, especially as it's slower, more crowded, and won't take you door to door.

If you have young kids in your party, then there is something to be said for Pop or Animation because of the decor, but for a party of budget-conscious adults, DS+Uber seems a much better option to me. You'll save time, be in nicer rooms, and have to do far less walking.

Pros of AoA/Pop:
Themed decor and statues, Cast Members

Pros of Disney Springs hotels instead:
Cheaper (even when adding in the cost of the Ubers)
Quicker to get to parks (an on demand cab will always be faster than waiting for a crowded bus, and no waiting at the end of the night)
Nicer/larger rooms
Smaller hotels so less trekking miles to your room from the lobby
All of Disney Springs easily accessible

Last edited:

lawdogNOLA

I can't speak to the quality of the DS Hotels. The last time I stayed there, it was the Hotel Plaza and the Bicentennial hadn't taken place yet. ;)

But I can speak to POP. It is easily the best of the values and has some of the best bus service out there (plus you can always catch an AoA bus and walk through AoA and across the bridge back to POP). Note that when I say values, I don't mean AoA, or the family suites at All-Star Music. A very important factor is what's up with your group, how many are in your party, what's the purpose of the trip, and does anyone have claustrophobia, or really need elbow room? How much do you plan on using a table in your room? All these points matter.

Face the facts: POP's room's are smaller than anything at Disney Springs. However, if you're going as a solo or a couple, then you can put up the Murphy bed at POP and have effectively more room than at many of Disney's moderates. Plus you get a makeup mirror, and a coffee maker now at POP, plus a double shower feature, which isn't there at most Disney Deluxe hotels. The room redesign and refurbishment really went out there on upgrading a small space and in making that small space bigger and more liveable. But, if you're going in a group of 4 adult-sized persons, then POP can get cramped, so group size matters.

My advice? Go on YouTube and search for room tours of the resorts you're interested in. There are new ones posted all the time, so it shouldn't be hard to find ones with current rooms on them, with the most common variation being people unaware that they're in an accessible room, which usually have a some differences between regular rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom