Current Weather/Wind/Fire Danger in Anaheim -11/9/2018

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Good Friday.

Here in Anaheim, and the rest of California, we are having EXTREME Fire Danger conditions, and alas, some major fires.

The high winds will not allow the Fireworks Show to be performed. Also Fantasmic! might be modified or cancelled. Some outdoor attractions also might get shut down for periods of time. Parades are a bit safer, but also can get modified/cancelled.

Weather is warm, but the wind does make it feel colder, especially at night.

As for air conditions, Anaheim is fortunate to not be near any fires, at this moment, and smoke isn't a big issue. It is northern Los Angeles County/VenturaCounty where there are some serious burning happening. Of course, this situation can change at any time. Since Disneyland is in an Urban area, it is fairly safe. But Cleveland National Forest and other open areas in the nearby Hills can create smoky conditions in the parks, and has in the past.

Being a Holiday Weekend, take into conditions of crowds as a factor also.

To all in California, best wishes and prayers that everyone is safe.

And remember that stuff is just that, stuff. It can be replaced, while your life, and others, can't be. Be smart and evacuate if needed.

And to every Veteran reading this, Thank You for your service!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Scary.. wishing the very best for everyone in the area.

The ENTIRE city of Mailbu has been ordered to evacuate.

The good news is that it looks like the winds will slow down somewhat this afternoon.

Yes, scary.

I have been in an evacuation zone and had to live in a Hotel Room with friends for 4 days when I lived in San Diego. That is when I truly learned that stuff is JUST stuff!

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

The good news is that it looks like the winds will slow down somewhat this afternoon.

Yes, scary.

I have been in an evacuation zone and had to live in a Hotel Room with friends for 4 days when I lived in San Diego. That is when I truly learned that stuff is JUST stuff!

Just asking instead of doing research myself, but with all of these wildfires that taint the western part of CA.. shouldn't there be a method of moving ocean water into the outer parts of the cities, so that water is more readily available for emergency situations like this?

Maybe instead of a worthless high speed rail project, they should invest in a canal system for this?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Just asking instead of doing research myself, but with all of these wildfires that taint the western part of CA.. shouldn't there be a method of moving ocean water into the outer parts of the cities, so that water is more readily available for emergency situations like this?

Maybe instead of a worthless high speed rail project, they should invest in a canal system for this?

We have enough Super Scoopers and Helicopters to drop water.

What we need and looks like it will finally happen is the clearing of dead wood and other debris and more fire breaks. The environmentalist have fought to not allow it for decades and finally have lost the political power to block it, as enough taxpayers have said that it HAS to be done.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
We have enough Super Scoopers and Helicopters to drop water.

What we need and looks like it will finally happen is the clearing of dead wood and other debris and more fire breaks. The environmentalist have fought to not allow it for decades and finally have lost the political power to block it, as enough taxpayers have said that it HAS to be done.

That too could work ;) idk all of the CA politics but I know they have some wacky laws in place.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
That too could work ;) idk all of the CA politics but I know they have some wacky laws in place.

I think I will respect the Moderator's wishes and not get too much further into the politics angle. Let me just say, with at least 5 dead in Northen California, that addressing ways to prevent wildfires and to slow their spread are critical issues facing the state. And hopefully the Federal government will join the state to quickly get it done. (California has a lot of federal lands that are open forests.)

Stevek

Yes, scary.

Caitlin Jenner's house burnt to the ground but somehow the Krudassians homes have survived.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
To be honest, I don't care if it a celebrities house or not, but thousands of homes and structures have been lost. Hopefully everyone evacuated, and are safe.

I am a bit upset about this news...

>>We are sorry to share the news that the #WoolseyFire has burned Western Town at #ParamountRanch in Agoura. We do not have any details or photos, but it is our understanding that the structures have burned. This area is an active part of the incident and we cannot access it.<<

Ironically, Lisa and I were at Universal Studios the day before its major fire, and woke up very early, as we were attending a special event at SFMM, staying at a nearby Hotel, and was watching the breaking news on the TV So we went back to get photos of USH the day after for the after shots.. Wild weekend!

http://micechat.com/miceage/mc/mc060408a.htm

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Universal-Studios/

At home now, watching the news, a lot of folks will be dealing with the aftermath for quite awhile.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

Ironically, Lisa and I were at Universal Studios the day before its major fire, and woke up very early, as we were attending a special event at SFMM, staying at a nearby Hotel, and was watching the breaking news on the TV So we went back to get photos of USH the day after for the after shots.. Wild weekend!

http://micechat.com/miceage/mc/mc060408a.htm

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Universal-Studios/

At home now, watching the news, a lot of folks will be dealing with the aftermath for quite awhile.
Every 10 years there is a fire at universal.
I don't know felt like sharing that.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Adding Bold....

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/11/...f-the-evacuation-areas-in-la-city-and-county/

>>Meanwhile, fire officials grappled to get some kind of containment amid high winds.

Once there is a lull in the winds, “then we can start getting a good anchor and foothold and attack this fire,” said Ventura County Fire Capt. Brian McGrath.

While the winds had subsided a bit by Friday, winds were expected to continue a few more days and even pick up intensity, he said.

Fire officials were not releasing yet how many structures had been burned because they’ve been in “life-saving” mode, McGrath said.

“The fire has been moving so fast; priority hasn’t been damage assessment,” he said. “It’s been getting people out of the way.”

“We notified everyone in Thousand Oaks from the Los Angeles County Line to Highway 23 south along Highway 101, Lake Sherwood, and all of the canyon areas to the beach,” said Sgt. Eric Buschow with the Ventura County Sherriff's Office.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Quick update, winds have died down for now, but expected to get very strong again tomorrow. At least 2 have died in Malibu due to the fire.

So you might get fireworks tonight.

And the Bachelor's Mansion has burned down.

Once again, to everyone in the area, stay safe and understand that a lot of folks have been through a lot.

And to all that serve, Thank you for your service Veteran's!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, if the Disneyland Resort catches on Fire, due to its location, would be internally and not due to a spreading fire.

The DLR has a real, working Fire Department with equipment to put out small fires. They also have am inter-agency arrangement with the Anaheim Fire Department, and the Orange County Fire Department.

The AFD has a LOT of equipment, with the closest station at the Anaheim GardenWalk.

There are plenty of Emergency gates throughout the Resort where the equipment can enter off the street.

All of Disneyland, even the ones from the 1950's was built with fire safety in mind.

The two most likely events, a tree(s) or a building catching fire and not put out quickly, taking over the entire structure/trees. The priority would be to make sure the fire does not spread, and the safety of the CM's and guests.

While there are many plans and options, and CM's are trained and practice them.

The main two, evacuate just the nearby area, and the place CM's at specific chokepoints to make sure their is only one way traffic away from the area, while other CM's direct the guests in the right direction(s) which might include back-stage areas. Of course, the PA system would also be used. The Resort has a series of emergency generators if the fire affects the main power system.

They used to have specially marked slips of paper to hand out, but nowadays, your admission ticket barcode is all they need to allow you back in at a proper entrance.

The other is similar, but the entire park, once again, the CM's directing traffic flow.

If there was a nearby fire that Disney or the Fire Marshall feels could reach the parks, then they would hard close the parks, and get everyone to leave. They know this would create massive traffic impacts, and both CM's and the Anaheim Police Department would be out to direct traffic away from the fire, and would convert certain roads to one-way travel, similar to what was done in Malibu yesterday on Pacific Coast Highway.

So while we have the Anaheim Hills and Cleveland National forest nearby, there are way too many concrete structures and freeways to block the spread.

Of course, Disney might opt to close the parks due to nearby fires if the air conditions are very poor or they feel enough freeways/roadways are blocked, which would affect not just guests, but also CM's needing to get to/from work.

Disney has thought of many things that could affect operations, and works with Federal, State and local official not just for security issues, but also natural disasters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom