Curious About Agencies

I just booked my second trip with Mouseketrips and when I've been poking around the internet, I've found all sorts of agencies that book WDW vacations. I'm wondering how these businesses make money? We booked with Mouseketrips last year based on a recommendation, but I'm wondering how these things work.

As far as I can tell, I was able to get everything at cost. How do these businesses make money? Are they actually part of the Disney company? What is the benefit of booking through them vs. WDW directly? Is there a particular business that's preferred over the others? Why?

Not a big deal, just curious. Thanks!!!

Either way, I'm all paid up now and heading back in just 96 days :sohappy:

DisneyJoe

Travel agencies are paid a commission by the suppliers, in this case, Walt Disney Travel Company.

They are not part of the Disney company.

None are preferred over another.

Travel agencies provide a service, many will do things for you so that you don't need to do them yourself.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just booked my second trip with Mouseketrips and when I've been poking around the internet, I've found all sorts of agencies that book WDW vacations. I'm wondering how these businesses make money? We booked with Mouseketrips last year based on a recommendation, but I'm wondering how these things work.

As far as I can tell, I was able to get everything at cost. How do these businesses make money? Are they actually part of the Disney company? What is the benefit of booking through them vs. WDW directly? Is there a particular business that's preferred over the others? Why?

Not a big deal, just curious. Thanks!!!

Either way, I'm all paid up now and heading back in just 96 days :sohappy:
They get paid a commission by Disney. They are not a part of the Disney Company. One feature provided by several of the Disney booking agencies (ie Kingdom Konsultants) is an automatic re-booking of your trip when a discount becomes available.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I have the same question ....I also wonder how DVC people benefit from renting their points.

In this instance, if someone isn't going to use their points for a year or more, and they don't want to bank them, they may go to waste. If they can rent the points, they will earn some money.

Upvote 0
Booking fees pay the bills

The small agencies (like mine) get a booking fee for each Disney vacation they book. Depending on how many bookings you do each year the fee (a percentage of the overall package booked) can change. Its not the easiest thing to make money at since there are so many agencies out there. My unique take on things is as a local agent to my hometown. I'm able to meet the clients and do more exhaustive interviews and recommendations if they need help planning. I can also just book deals for folks that know what they want, but my real value is helping folks that don't know the in's and out's of Disney.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and there are a lot of great folks out there doing this for a living or as a 2nd source of income.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Depending on how many bookings you do each year the fee (a percentage of the overall package booked) can change.

Disney pays all agencies a flat pre-tax percentage commission for WDW and Disneyland bookings, these rates never change based on sales volume; Disney Cruise Line will increase your commission percentage based on your yearly sales revenue.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Disney pays all agencies a flat pre-tax percentage commission for WDW and Disneyland bookings, these rates never change based on sales volume; Disney Cruise Line will increase your commission percentage based on your yearly sales revenue.

DisneyJoe is 100% correct on this.

Also keep in mind that various agencies that book mostly Disney will offer extra services like itinerary planning and setting up your dining like Kingdom Konsultant does. We do not charge any fees to our clients. Disney pays us a commission.

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom