Curiosity About Random Spots at WDW

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Every once and a while I notice a random spot (or thing) at WDW that piques my interest. They are often off the beaten path and/or look as if they are vestigial remnants of something which no longer exists (or perhaps never finished!). Others, I imagine, may have originally been intended as hidden gems to be found, just pretty filler, a spot for some R&R (or smoking), logistics support, and/or M&G space. I wanted to create a thread where I and others could maybe get some answers to what things are (or were).

The first two spots that jump to my mind are both in Main Street's Town Square.

1. The little garden east of the the Main Street station; tucked up against the railroad and along the exit from Curtain Call Collectibles. Just a pretty infill garden that used to have benches?

20170512 1722.JPG

2. The courtyard area between Chamber of Commerce and City Hall. It really looks like a M&G area or place where tours gather. I can't say I can recall seeing it being utilized in that fashion but I don't get to visit frequently either.

20170512 1731 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Rob562

The space to the left of City Hall was the check-in location when we took the Keys to the Kingdom tour eons ago. (I think the corresponding area at Disneyland is actually called Tour Guide Gardens, so that likely was its intended purpose from Day 1)

-Rob

Heppenheimer

I've also wondered about the shaded area around Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. Was this intended as an animal trail that got axed from the final plans?

Rob562

I've also wondered about the shaded area around Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. Was this intended as an animal trail that got axed from the final plans?

Which shaded area? To the right (entrance side) is extended outdoor queue. That was reworked to include paper FastPass distribution machines during that era.

To left (exit side) has/had benches, etc that I presume was just meant as a shaded waiting area for non-riders waiting for the rest of their group. (Or for people to sit down and "recover" from their adventure)

-Rob

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Which shaded area? To the right (entrance side) is extended outdoor queue. That was reworked to include paper FastPass distribution machines during that era.

To left (exit side) has/had benches, etc that I presume was just meant as a shaded waiting area for non-riders waiting for the rest of their group. (Or for people to sit down and "recover" from their adventure)

-Rob
Left hand side (looking at the attraction from the outside). It's a surprisingly large space for not holding anything other than quiet shaded areas for people to sit.

KikoKea

Every once and a while I notice a random spot (or thing) at WDW that piques my interest. They are often off the beaten path and/or look as if they are vestigial remnants of something which no longer exists (or perhaps never finished!). Others, I imagine, may have originally been intended as hidden gems to be found, just pretty filler, a spot for some R&R (or smoking), logistics support, and/or M&G space. I wanted to create a thread where I and others could maybe get some answers to what things are (or were).

The first two spots that jump to my mind are both in Main Street's Town Square.

1. The little garden east of the the Main Street station; tucked up against the railroad and along the exit from Curtain Call Collectibles. Just a pretty infill garden that used to have benches?

View attachment 524383

2. The courtyard area between Chamber of Commerce and City Hall. It really looks like a M&G area or place where tours gather. I can't say I can recall seeing it being utilized in that fashion but I don't get to visit frequently either.

View attachment 524385
I have never noticed the #1 area! We charge through the tunnel and keep going, never looking to the right. Next time we're there I'm going to explore that corner. Thanks for posting this!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom