Cruises, my dumb question

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Yes, I prefaced this saying it was dumb. I have no fear of heights, none of flying whatsoever. However, I have a tremendous fear of drowning. I have never been very big on water adventures so I have never been on a cruise. BUT (and that's a big but), I have family that does this every year, specifically Disney cruises.

I am kind of tempted to try this just for the sake of not wanting to miss out on the experience. My question to you lovely folks, is it worth it for someone like me? Anyone else have the same fear push through and go on a Disney cruise?

Wendy Pleakley

What triggers your fear of drowning? Is it when you walk along a beach? When you are close to a swimming pool? Overlooking the ocean from a hotel balcony?

It's hard to say without knowing more. I will say that being on a Cruise ship feels, to me, no different than being in a hotel. If I didn't even look at the ocean for a duration of a cruise, I probably wouldn't even feel like I was missing out.

Cruise ships feel very stable, but for someone with a fear of drowning, the slightest bit of motion during rough waters could set them off.

If you can handle, for example, staying at a hotel that is near water, you might be able to handle a cruise by minimizing time spent outside looking at the water.

Absolutely worth the adventure. I would say try a 3 or 4 day cruise on the Dream to the Bahamas. You're only out to sea at night and at port during the day unless you do a 4 day cruise, throw in a sea day.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
What triggers your fear of drowning? Is it when you walk along a beach? When you are close to a swimming pool? Overlooking the ocean from a hotel balcony?

It's hard to say without knowing more. I will say that being on a Cruise ship feels, to me, no different than being in a hotel. If I didn't even look at the ocean for a duration of a cruise, I probably wouldn't even feel like I was missing out.

Cruise ships feel very stable, but for someone with a fear of drowning, the slightest bit of motion during rough waters could set them off.

If you can handle, for example, staying at a hotel that is near water, you might be able to handle a cruise by minimizing time spent outside looking at the water.
I am able to walk on the beach but I don't swim in the ocean (afraid of jellyfish and sharks and other such creatures). Pools, I'm actually pretty ok with as long as I can get back to the shallow end. I think it has more so to do with being in something that could sink and I can't get out of in time (past childhood experience with getting pulled down by something and almost not making it out of the water in time). I'm not claustrophobic, but it kind of gives me that kind of anxiety...if this makes any sense whatsoever.

It's kind of hard to explain. Like, I can swim in a pool just fine, especially when there are no floats near by. Open water I can get out of = fine.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Given your description above, I'd say you'll be fine on a cruise. The ships are very stable, you'd have to make a concerted effort to accidentally go overboard and in the highly unlikely event of damage to the ship, there are protocols in place to get you safely into a life raft well before the vessel would be in danger of sinking.

I've been on four so far and loved it! Compared to my time at sea in the Canadian Navy, it's heaven! :cool:

Wendy Pleakley

Nothing in your description suggests you wouldn't be okay on a cruise ship.

Disney cruises really are amazing. so if you think you can handle it, go for it. They really do everything just a little better than anyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom