Cruise with DVC points

MUTZIE77

Original Poster
Lately we have been thinking about going on our first cruise to the bahamas. I am a DVC member and we are planning on using our points for the cruise. I am just asking for some info on the cruise and how it works with our points. My main concern is what is included with our points and what is not. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Lately we have been thinking about going on our first cruise to the bahamas. I am a DVC member and we are planning on using our points for the cruise. I am just asking for some info on the cruise and how it works with our points. My main concern is what is included with our points and what is not. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Are you asking about DCL in general in terms of whats included or not? you aren't treated any less on board because you bought with points or not.

StageFrenzy

Disney Cruises are all inclusive,* I have heard that points to Cruise ship isn't a good return in comparison to a stay at DVC property. That being said Disney Cruises are great and one can argue the best in the business (see Conde Nast thread). Tammy may be able to go a little more in dept but there might be a DVC member reception/social for members only.

*Excluding alcohol, souvenirs, port excursions, spa services Remy, Palo, tips and some other things. The only thing that you would HAVE to pay would be tips.

Disneyfalcon

The above posters are correct, you certainly won't be treated any different by booking with points. Cash or points matter not to DCL.

There is a DVC member reception for all members onboard, no matter how you paid. DVC will leave some little gifts in your room for you also.

There is definitely a debate on whether points are a good value to use for cruises. If this isn't what you're asking, skip ahead. :) Since I am a DVC member, we've compared the points vs. cash before several times.

If you consider each point to be worth about $10, it's easier to compare. As a general rule, it's usually cheaper to rent your points and use the cash to pay for the cruise. It will usually cost a lot less points that way.

There are definitely exceptions. There are a few, very few, cruises that come out to be a good deal with points. We were on a 5 night in September of 08 that cost us about 300 points for 4 of us. We considered that worth it. If we used 300 points at WDW we could get a one bedroom at BLT for a week, but we'd still have to buy tickets (entertainment) and food. That 300 points paid for food and entertainment as well as the room.

Another time they may be worth it is when the cruise has gone up a great deal in price. Over time, cruises go up and the points charts don't change. If you decide to cruise when a cruise is getting close, check the points. It does sometimes work out better to use them then to pay cash.

For others it's worth it because they've already paid for those points and they want to use them.

But either way, if you decided to use them, you will be a guest like any other on the cruise ship. A pampered, excited, lucky guest. :)

MUTZIE77

Original Poster
Thanks for the all of the info. Since this is my first cruise ever, I just wanted to make sure it was all inclusive using points just like paying cash. Thanks again for the help.

Disneyfalcon

Thanks for the all of the info. Since this is my first cruise ever, I just wanted to make sure it was all inclusive using points just like paying cash. Thanks again for the help.

Well that is an easy answer! Yes. :)

You will still have to pay for tips and anything else you choose to buy, but that's the same for everyone else.

StageFrenzy

If you are here, you WILL NOT go wrong with DCL. If you don't like it, you don't like cruising!

MUTZIE77

Original Poster
If you are here, you WILL NOT go wrong with DCL. If you don't like it, you don't like cruising!

From everything I have heard from all over this forum, and being a Disney nut that cant stay off this site, I am sure I will not be disappointed.

87 GN

I have been on several cruises only Disney and loved everyone of them. On each trip I have talked to different guests usually at dinners and when I ask them if they have ever cruised with a different cruise line I always get at least one family that says yes we did and will no longer. People are so generally impressed with DCL that they will not go back to another. I have never been on a cruise with a different cruise line and have no desire to I would rather pay for one Disney cruise then 2 other cheaper cruises. Have fun on your first cruise, enjoy what you get for your points don't think twice about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom