Crowd accuracy--Kenny the Pirate or Touring Plans?

mdcpr

Who has a more accurate view of crowd levels--Kenny the Pirate or Touring Plans? I was looking at crowd levels for AK on November 30th, and Kenny the Pirate states that is the worst day to visit AK, but Touring Plan puts AK as Crowd Level 7 which is not bad for Thanksgiving week.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I take no stock in any crowd calendar.
I simply observe for myself the way crowds have trended and use my own past experiences.
Besides once the trip is booked its booked. I'm not going to worry about crowds because I can't do anything about it.
I've said it in the past and I will continue to say it.... Thanksgiving is not like Easter/Christmas/NYE. If it were my family would choose a different time to go. Especially my parents who are in their 70's and could go any time.
Go and enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
That's fine to use past trips as a gauge of crowds but I think mdcpr is visiting for the first time and looking for advice

She's actually been I think 4 times but just not recently.
My advice has always been that Thanksgiving is not as bad as some would lead others to believe so don't worry about it.
Its booked. It doesn't sound like dates are going to change so go and have a great time!

Upvote 0

ppet

I pick my time going based on outside factors, things like vacation coverage, other events etc. I do use crowd calendars to help plan my days within the trip. This has helped my family enjoy trips even during busy times. Based on comments from others there at the same time we benefitted from this use. With all that said I have more faith in Touring plans. Just remember they are all estimates and can and will be off. Hope you have a great trip.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Sure you can go and do fine ignoring the crowd calendars entirely. None of them are perfect, never were, and were always meant to be just a guide to help guests plan their days and parks. Certain times of the year they are more helpful than others. Ive found TP to be more of a help and give them more attention. I do refer to all of the crowd calendar sites and compare numbers. Then I judge where I prefer to go. We always have park hoppers so if the numbers happen to be off we can hop to another park. In this atmosphere where planning is more critical than years ago, any little edge you can give yourself that helps make your trip more enjoyable should be looked at and considered.

Upvote 0

mdcpr

Original Poster
She's actually been I think 4 times but just not recently.
My advice has always been that Thanksgiving is not as bad as some would lead others to believe so don't worry about it.
Its booked. It doesn't sound like dates are going to change so go and have a great time!
Last time I was there was in 2000--when I was able to walk into Epcot through International Drive, no tickets on hand, and I was able to have lunch at the Mexico Pavillion...different times.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

I have found Touring Plans to be pretty accurate, but so is Kenny the Pirate, touring plan post their historical predictions and what it turned out to be so you can easily check their track record. If you need any info about character meet and greets Kenny the Pirate is your man.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Last time I was there was in 2000--when I was able to walk into Epcot through International Drive, no tickets on hand, and I was able to have lunch at the Mexico Pavillion...different times.

Your post confuses me a little.
But either way I too went in 2000.
Times have changed and you should feel better knowing that they have changed for everyone over the years and we have all adapted and come out on the other side of those changes.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Queenie—you never get half of my postings.

Haha well I THINK I get them but then again I could be wrong.
Did you mean the International Gateway and that you purchased tickets from the ticket window and you got a walk up reservation at Mexico?
I recall those times too.
My post was meant to show you that you are not alone and we all have gone through the changes over the years.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
Who has a more accurate view of crowd levels--Kenny the Pirate or Touring Plans? I was looking at crowd levels for AK on November 30th, and Kenny the Pirate states that is the worst day to visit AK, but Touring Plan puts AK as Crowd Level 7 which is not bad for Thanksgiving week.

Often the crowd tracking sites list the park with morning Extra Magic Hours as the "worst park to visit". There probably should be a better explanation but TP sometimes does the same thing (or at least that is what I have read in the Unofficial Guides in the past.) Does AK have EMH on Nov. 30?

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Often the crowd tracking sites list the park with morning Extra Magic Hours as the "worst park to visit". There probably should be a better explanation but TP sometimes does the same thing (or at least that is what I have read in the Unofficial Guides in the past.) Does AK have EMH on Nov. 30?

Which is one reason I do not care for crowd calendars.
Just because THEY don't like EMH doesn't mean that no one should go to the park with EMH.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

We've followed crowd calendars to be disappointed on trips....and some were spot on.

To me...It would be the same as looking at weather for November 30 2018. and expecting the same for 2019.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

When we had the freedom to choose when to visit (when we could take the kids out of school), we used crowd calendars to help select the best week to go.

I've never relied on them to choose which-park-on-which-day, however. The fact is, weekends will generally be busier, mid-week will generally be less crowded, and some parks will always be busier than others. Just choose the parks that suit you best each day (also keeping in mind park hours, special events, etc.) and go in with either a good touring plan, or a solid understanding of which lines are going to build the quickest. Smart touring will win out over a little bump in crowd levels at a particular park, every time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom