News Crossroads Plaza Faces Demoliton

WDW1974

That's my Moe's in there! Oh wait, I can go to the one at City Walk... ;)
Just had my Monday at Moe's ... getting a bit tired of it!

As to the project, either you believe it is needed to greatly improve traffic flow or you cynically believe Disney is pushing for it to destroy local competition and drive people to Disney Springs.

I know where I sit on this one.

disney4life2008

I don't understand why Disney would do this? Traffic is bad over there but honestly, with anything Disney branded it will get even ekrse. worse. They need to keep it as it, competition is good. Sometimes I want chain food not overly priced celeb disgusting food at Disney Springs. I am still sick from dlux burger.

yoda_5729

I hope this doesn't happen and some other arrangement can be made. There are a lot of good businesses in that area, that can be quite helpful during a vacation.

The article didn't mention anything about the hotels that are very close by to this shopping district, so I have no idea, but I imagine the business pay a lot to be so close to WDW.

As for the idea it would help Disney Springs, yes and no. It would actually display a glaring weakness Disney Springs has, and probably will always have. It doesn't have the sheer number of restaurants, and the sheer number of affordable restaurants. People can drive further, if need be. Some people like fast food options, and Disney Springs does have a lot of very nice restaurants, but few and far between on the fast food side of things. There isn't a single grocery store in Disney Springs to my knowledge, it's actually got more competition from the Premium Outlet Malls then it does this strip mall. Though I'm not doubting the strip mall brings in a ton of money, it ultimately is delivering a service Disney doesn't want, or else there would be major fast food places in Disney Springs, and there aren't with the exception of Starbucks, which is mostly a coffee place.With the redesign of the Downtown Disney area into the Springs, it looks a lot more like those Premium Oulet Malls, and has very similar vendors. Disney's are likely higher end, but that, may actually be as big a problem as the other. Disney Springs also to my knowledge has no pharmacy. No bookstore. It's mostly clothes, with some restaurants and entertainment venues peppered throughout. The marketplace is the most unique area.

Also, with the Perkins being in that area; WDW, Universal, and Sea World all have a pretty good relationship with Perkins, as they all raise funds for Give Kids the World. Both Walt Disney World and Perkins Restaurants are platinum members, with only 3 other organizations reaching that level. I always figured the Perkins was located that close because of that relationship. Flippers, which is also at Crossroads, would likely not be affected by this, assuming people are still allowed to get their pizzas delivered to the resorts. As long as Disney allows that, I'd see no reason as to them being worried about a small pizzaria, a good block away from a Hotel plaza, which is a good block away from the shopping district. Crossroads serves a purpose, a purpose Walt Disney World has never really wanted to take on. Whether it's affecting their business or not, they are offering a service Disney doesn't. Though Crossroads is obviously close to Disney, if you leave Disney World in almost any direction, there are hotels, gas stations, and restaurants as far as the eye can see. If one goes away, there are 15 others that could cause problems.

Speaking of the Orlando Premium Outlet, there is a Disney Character Warehouse store at the premium outlets. These stores sell discounted clearance sale prices on official Disney merchandise, and are run by Disney. In fact, if you make a donation to the Disney Wildlife Conservation fund there, they even have a specific button for it, just like they do for Animal Kingdom or the Seas at Epcot. My question is, why would Disney not have one of these stores at Disney Springs. They literally are encouraging people to go off site specifically for Disney merchandise. There also is a store at the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores, a mile away from Disney. Yes, World of Disney and others then couldn't sell the same merchandise for the higher prices, but Disney has a wide enough variety of merchandise to easily be able to handle it. The older stuff you want gone can be on clearance, and the newer or routinely popular stuff can go to World of Disney and those sorts. It strikes me as being counter to the whole "We want people staying on site for everything" argument. By having those stores though at other Orlando based Outlet malls, you are encouraging people to go visit them, as apposed to the higher end one you have on property. It wouldn't shock me if a few of the stores at Disney Springs were found in those outlets as well, or the Florida Mall, or Mall at Milennia

Ultimately, Crossroads physically isn't all that big when you subtract the restaurants and the grocery store, which Disney doesn't offer. The restaurants though aren't the type Disney has gravitated towards, even though they have a McDonalds on property, they closed the one at Downtown Disney, even though it was popular, citing that McDonald's food was unhealthy. The alcohol they are adding more and more of into the parks is also unhealthy, but it doesn't seem to stop them from adding more of that. McDonald's isn't the only fast food joint either, as Subway or any number of other options could be explored.

I am hopeful though for the people who work in these businesses that something can be arranged so that Crossroads stays. Hopefully.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

As to the project, either you believe it is needed to greatly improve traffic flow or you cynically believe Disney is pushing for it to destroy local competition and drive people to Disney Springs.

I'm quite certain I'm on the side with the cynics on this one. This reeks of Disney manipulation to try and force people into Disney Springs.

cmoliver68

Before even reading the article I imagined this has something to do with the express lane additions and the expansion of I-4. Anyone who drives this on a regular basis knows that this is one of the worst areas for traffic jams. On a good day when I am driving from Tampa I run into traffic starting just before Osceola Parkway and sit there until after the east bound on ramp to I-4. When driving west late in the day, traffic is always a nightmare about 2 miles east of 535 until after the overpass because of people trying to exit onto 535. There are definitely some good stores and restaurants in this plaza but there is absolutely a need to help traffic flow on I-4, not to mention the complete mess of traffic on 535 exiting the interstate, trying to get into and out of the plaza and turning onto Hotel Plaza Blvd. I drive this route between Tampa and Orlando usually 2-3 times per week and hate driving through that area. I personally look forward to seeing something happen there.

Next Big Thing

The ironic thing is Disney created (and then sold off) CrossRoads.

I wonder if current management even knows that.

peter11435

I don't understand why Disney would do this? Traffic is bad over there but honestly, with anything Disney branded it will get even ekrse. worse. They need to keep it as it, competition is good. Sometimes I want chain food not overly priced celeb disgusting food at Disney Springs. I am still sick from dlux burger.
It would not be replaced with anything Disney branded. The entire area would become ramps and interchanges for an I4 improvement project.

_ZJ

This is genius. Sell a property for a tidy profit, and then do what you probably wanted to do all along: improve transportation into your shopping/dining center... And not have to pay for the new infrastructure! All while eliminating a portion of your nearest competition. Emotion and sentiment aside, you must respect the cunning execution exhibited here.

jaklgreen

Disney is not doing anything. Its the Florida department of transportation that is making this decision. Disney has no say in it, other then to give their opinion, just like all of the other businesses in the area. OMG I can't believe all of the people who, obviously, did not read the article and just jumped to the conclusion that Disney is "tearing down their competition". Businesses that build right off any major road/highway/interstate etc, run the risk that they might be demolished to make room for a bigger road. They know this going into it but take the chance that they reap enough benefits from that locations before it happens. This is not a Disney or an Orlando thing. It is nation wide.

_ZJ

Disney is not doing anything. Its the Florida department of transportation that is making this decision. Disney has no say in it, other then to give their opinion, just like all of the other businesses in the area. OMG I can't believe all of the people who, obviously, did not read the article and just jumped to the conclusion that Disney is "tearing down their competition". Businesses that build right off any major road/highway/interstate etc, run the risk that they might be demolished to make room for a bigger road. They know this going into it but take the chance that they reap enough benefits from that locations before it happens. This is not a Disney or an Orlando thing. It is nation wide.

I did read the article, but believe it or not it is possible for persons to disagree. Yes, FDOT is in charge, but if you think they are not going to consult Disney, when Disney is a major source of revenue, you're living in a world that would be nice to live in, but sadly doesn't exist.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Psh..those are just facts and facts could be used to prove anything. How dare you not play up the rhetoric that Disney is evil and is just looking to stamp out businesses in the area? ;)

It seems that this may/may not happen according to the article. I'd be sad to see Crossroads go since like most others, It's a bit of nostalgia. I'm more outraged over more propsed toll roads. Pretty soon you might as well call Central Florida New Jersey with all of the toll roads in the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom