Cronkite slept in the Swiss Family Treehouse ?!

techgeek

Original Poster
From the Orlando Sentinel:

Walter's Excellent Adventure
Frank Langley
Special to the Sentinel August 9, 2009

I am sure the story I'm about to tell concerning Walter Cronkite hasn't ever been heard of or read before. It is not earth-shattering; in fact, its essence is its simplicity.

But, isn't that the essence of Walter Cronkite?

I first met Walter in the late 1960s when I did a story about him for my newspaper syndicate in New York.

Shortly after, I was hired by the Disney organization and moved to Florida to represent the still-in-construction, Walt Disney World.

At that time, Walter had a deep interest in space-exploration and often came to Florida to cover launches.

Walter was a Walt Disney fan and often called to see if he could come over and view the construction site. And he did come, several times.

At that time, Walter was as recognizable as any celebrity in America, and we kept our visits quiet.

Walter was enthralled with what he saw of the Disney World possibilities and came back several times to see more. Usually, I booked him in our Contemporary Hotel and one night at dinner, he said: "I have a favor to ask that I am not sure you can do. I don't want to sleep in that plush room you have for me here. I want to sleep in, are you ready, the Swiss Family Treehouse."

The attraction had just been completed, but such a request would be met with an automatic NO, even if the president had asked.

But, to me, the answer was: Don't ask. Just do it.

Walter and I finished our coffee, left the hotel and drove over to the employee entrance, which was also the entrance to Disney World's unbelievable underground employee, transit and operations network.

I was quite familiar with most of the security guards and personnel we encountered, and we had no trouble strolling through the tunnels to Fantasyland. We exited, climbed the stairs and found ourselves facing the tree-limbed stairway that would lead us to our forested beds, a bamboo bed for Walter and the hammock for me.

Whenever I recall Walter, I don't think of his many historic on-air moments. I think of Walter stretching, yawning, waking and smiling as he rises from his bamboo bed and surely his favorite Disney memory.

Frank Langley lives in Winter Park. He worked as a publicist for Walt Disney World from 1970 to 1975.
Cinderella Castle is fine and all, but when can we enter a contest to sleep up there? Sign me up!

EPCOTPluto

I think those beds are a bit uncomfortable. :animwink:

I would rather sleep here:

373521493_e2cd39f211.jpg

CaptainJackNO

I call urban legend on this one

Oh, you guys are just jealous......:brick:
If you had the chance to sleep in that bed, you would refuse to sleep in a curled up position? Why would this guy lie? Don't you think personnel records could prove the guy's employment. I have no doubt the story is real. You guys need to chill.....:rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you had the chance to sleep in that bed, you would refuse to sleep in a curled up position? Why would this guy lie? Don't you think personnel records could prove the guy's employment. I have no doubt the story is real. You guys need to chill.....:rolleyes:

To sell a story. :shrug:

Roxas

Nothing to do with it being uncomfortable, I just refuse to believe that they wouldn't have been caught and kicked out by the cleaning staff.

Mimi

Let's not even ask ourselves if we think it is true. It's an awesome story! I'm going to believe it just because I want to.

It gives me hope. :D

techgeek

Original Poster
To sell a story. :shrug:

What possible motivation does he have to lie, and what story is he trying to sell? This was buried on op-ed page in the print edition, and was presented as a 'my word' - essentially an expanded letter to the editor. I'm pretty sure he didn't get paid, and aside from verifying his employment during that period I'm sure WDW had nothing to add since this was pretty 'off the record'. It does make a great story, and the only possible motivation I can see is to honor the memory of a good friend.

I mean, come on - it was the 70s. I'm sure this kind of thing happened more then you'd imagine, officially sanctioned or not. If the cleaning crew showed up, I'm sure Walter gave them an autograph, let them sweep the floor, and sent them on their way. And I'm sure other celebs, exec's and just plain old 'people with access' have had similar 'dreams' come true over the years. Could it happen in this day and age? Of course not - I'm sure we'd have pictures and video in 3 new threads within the hour. But back then - why not?

primusjim

There are still people catching naps in the parent's room in the treehouse to this day. Earlier this year when I was working 3rd shift at tiki, I would take care of the treehouse on friday and saturday nights, (along with the shooting gallery and tom sawyer island.) I always walked the attraction on the way to shut down the water effects, to check lighting. On several occasions, the light bulbs in the two lamps outside the bedroom, and the two inside the bedroom were unscrewed enough to turn them off. Plus, the comforter would be a bit wrinkled.
The mattress is thin and hard, but the view is great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom