Creative Genius and WDI

bcoachable

Original Poster
If you were a "10" on the scale of creativity, why would you want to stay/be hired on at WDI any longer?
I bet it would be so frustrating to have ideas flow out of your brain.
You nurture, and fix, and replan, and add, and draw, and and and
then see them
just lay on the table.

Waiting for some executive to not do anything....

I personally would want to move on to where the action is...

SirLink

If you were a "10" on the scale of creativity, why would you want to stay/be hired on at WDI any longer?
then see them
just lay on the table.

Like all creative industries they want to marginalize creativity in a formulae like:

Characters + off the shelf rides = pure profit * building costs/time to build.

There are a few companies out there that like to let creativity go more than others - but it isn't like two decades where we had Indy ride.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to add most creative industries are like insidious dens ... where colleagues want to stab a knife in your back and present it to a COO like "Coo-ee luck what we did just for you, aren't we great". That is honestly a reason to not want to work in creative industries full stop. But magnify it by 10 and turn the temperature up by 50x that and you have WDI a poisonous well sitting on top of icky gooey sweet nostalgia.

rsoxguy

I don't really understand the purpose of this thread, except to say that it allows for another avenue to vent, but I'll play along. I'm certain that people work for whomever they choose for various reasons. Some for the sake of creative outlet, some for the sake of career development, and some for the sake of a paycheck. I'm certain that things are not as bleak as the fan community would seem to believe, while things are also not as rosy as the people at Disney PR would like us to believe. In either case, the creative minds at Disney seem to come and go, with everyone situated according to their personal goals and levels of tolerance.

CP_alum08

then see them
just lay on the table.

First of all...wow, pessimistic much?

Secondly...Where do you work?
Just because a person/company is creative doesn't mean everything that comes out of them is pure gold. As with any company there are good ideas and bad ideas.

WED99

If you were really that creative then you would jump at the opportunity to use your gift as a career, wether the ideas are used or not.

Put it this way, if you work for WDI or UniCreative etc then some of your ideas will get noticed. If you don't, then none of your ideas will get noticed.

lazyboy97o

If you were really that creative then you would jump at the opportunity to use your gift as a career, wether the ideas are used or not.

Put it this way, if you work for WDI or UniCreative etc then some of your ideas will get noticed. If you don't, then none of your ideas will get noticed.
Or you could work at any of the other companies that now work in themed entertainment. It's no longer just Disney or Universal.

The Empress Lilly

Large corporations invariable become bureaucratic juggernauths. Exceptions such as TWDC or Apple functioned as creative powerhouse despite being large when they were driven by the vision of one man.

It's normal. Hollywood, Silicon Valley, themed entertainmend are pushed forward creatively by independents, small studios. Who are then gobbled up by the big fish who have made it their business not to develop, but to exploit creative innovation. Facebook buys Instagram, and Disney buys Lucas and Pixar.

The business of TWDC is not to develop IP property, but to monetise it better than anybody else, with Disney's full range of movie studio, television, internet, theme park and merchandise activities.
Theme park design seems to go the way of filmmaking at Disney. Why develop in-house when you have the clout to buy the best from outside if and when you need it?

bethymouse

Perhaps they're just running out of ideas!:eek: Perhaps there's just too much "red tape" as there is in all places of work it seems nowadays!:mad: Hopefully WDI are working on something so secretive that we'll be so surprised we have to "eat our words"!;)

JIMINYCR

Perhaps they're just running out of ideas!:eek: Perhaps there's just too much "red tape" as there is in all places of work it seems nowadays!:mad:

You got part of it right. I think they will never run out of ideas. The creative juices continue to flow... it's getting through the red tape to justify the projects and then approve the funds needed to move on it. Soooo many projects were filed away in the past because the money wasn't going to be available to see the projects through.

bcoachable

Original Poster
First of all...wow, pessimistic much?

Secondly...Where do you work?
Just because a person/company is creative doesn't mean everything that comes out of them is pure gold. As with any company there are good ideas and bad ideas.

I began to think about how hard someone works/dreams/plans their path to someday work developing concepts for the Happiest Place on Earth...
Then when they get what for them is the pinnacle of achievement, few of the ideas they work on get green lit. I guess you could call it pessimistic, but really I was just feeling a little sorry for a group that I hold in high regard. I am probably just frustrated that I know WDI has some great plans for the world and it seems as if nothing "cool" is being funded... I do not think a magic band arouind my wrist is "cool".
And without disclosing where I work, let me just say that I get to have some creative freedom, and get the fact that not all ideas go "as planned". I think WDI gets most of what they do right, and was not trying to bash them... If anything, I was bashing the check writers at disney for not turning them loose on the parks.

Uddy

I'm gonna pretend everything Disney is perfect, even behind the scenes!

However, everyone has a, "butterfly leaving the cocoon" time in there life. If its strangling their creativity, maybe they fly and maybe they won't. I think each employee probably has a totally different perspective.

For me it's all Pixie Dust and Magic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom