News Crane for Castle Christmas Lights in place

gerarar

Premium Member
Why don't they just use the drones for the new Epcot night time show to put up the dreamlights on the castle???
;)

trainplane3

If they were truly imaginative, they would have built the castle with reversible panels, one side covered with Christmas lights, that could be flipped with the click of a switch...
How about a massive a refurb that would involve embedding LEDs into the castle itself? No more netting on it (invisible during day time) and it'd produce the same results at night. Though, maintenance would be a massive pain.

ToTBellHop

Can they not just project the lights and Christmas imagery on to the castle? Hell of a lot easier, cheaper and none of all the complaints of ruined pictures. I don’t know how good it would actually look but it’s an idea.
I expect having the projectors on throughout nighttime hours would be viewed as “too expensive”.

Movielover

I'd rather the $50,000,000 they'd inevitably spend researching such a device (necessitating 3 research trips to the Moon) be spent developing a second drinking fountain with an alien in it.

Can you imagine if WDI decided to remake Flight to the Moon...

Iger: Let's try to keep R&D low on this ride...

WDI:

;)

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Wish I could go this Christmas, but I have a huge trip to Starkville, MS for a Bama/MSU game. I may be able to squeeze it in.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
THIS.
I think this every year. It would look better and would eliminate the labor every year.
While this installation seems like a clunky solution, it is actually the most efficient way to get the job done. I would think the labor is cheaper to have the crane up for a month or two ever year than the constant maintenance that comes with adding the lights individually to the castle itself. Plus then there would be a permanent crane always on the backside of the castle for when the lights do fail.

mdcpr

I don't follow. Most skyscrapers only wash their windows every 1-2 years. The rig is there all the time as the unsightliness / logistical problems of a temp setup outweigh the cost of the investment.
Not true about skycrapers washing their windows every 1-2 year. Where I work is at least 2-3 times a year.

trainplane3

Yep and when they slowly burn out over the years?
As much as I (selfishly) love my own idea, that's the problem I imagined. Then you'd have people complaining about the castle missing lights as they go out and WDW inevitably cuts maintenance budgets. But then again, LEDs should last a several years.

Meh, people will complain no matter what they do.

ThatMouse

The only way to get to the top of the towers is by crane, so you need the crane regardless of what you think you could mount to those spires. I don't think you can really get at them from the inside to really mount anything permanently. Embedding Christmas lights would make it impossible to power wash, strip and paint. There would be a tremendous about of concrete to drill through and miles of romex to run.

ZodIsGr8

Yep and when they slowly burn out over the years?
Why not just project the lights with the lasers they use now for teh nightime shows? That seems like the easiest, least intrusive and the lease amount of maintenance. I may be missing something with having the laser projections on for that amount of time though. Not an expert on that sort of stuff.

ToTBellHop

Why not just project the lights with the lasers they use now for teh nightime shows? That seems like the easiest, least intrusive and the lease amount of maintenance. I may be missing something with having the laser projections on for that amount of time though. Not an expert on that sort of stuff.
I think it would look terrible. They already over-rely on projectors. Sometimes Christmas lights are good enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom