Crackdown at Disney

CatLady

I noticed one monitoring the intersection at World Drive/MK Drive/Cast Drive/Floridian Drive (near the monorail barn) yesterday. At first, I was wondering if there was something wrong back in the barn area, but they had someone pulled over when I came back that way later.

I speed a lot, I admit it, including on property. However, I do know that speeding is dangerous there, primarily because people who have no idea where they are going are slowing down to read the pretty purple signs, saying things like, "Ma, do you see that says Epcot Resort area? Does that mean we go there to get to the Contemporary?" People driving really fast plus people driving really slow to read signs/maps equals big messes. So I understand why they are cracking down on speeders. Though I don't want to be one of the ones who gets caught! :animwink:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think the "Resort Area" signs need to be gotten ride of. I worked in ressies, and my number was one of the few memoriable ones, and i spent more time in my life talking poor lost pople around WDW looking for their resort than I ever really wanted to.

I think they need to just have lists of everything at each exit, atleast the resorts.

OH!! ETA: Would it kill them to have a sign that says "Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian - Continue THROUGH MK Toll Plaza." I got more calls because people got scared and turned around.

bayoutinkbelle

unkadug said:
Agreed.

and you can thank those mad mothers...

Yes, you can thank those of us who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers for ruining all the fun. Really. I know that's what my aunt said after the drunk school teacher killed my uncle. :brick:

I think it's a simple matter of right vs. wrong. If you're speeding, driving drunk, whatever, and you get caught, you're caught. I've had a few speeding tickets and I've never had cause to contest them. Why? Because I was speeding. I paid the ticket and that's that.

If Disney wants to enforce the traffic laws on their property, more power to them. I'll be sure to stick to the speed limit on my visits.

kcnole

I miss the days when the corkscrew overpass was my own personal test track. There was a feeling of being Above The Law while on Disney property. The only security was the private mouse kind and that last drink before heading back to the hotel seemed less likely to result in a DUI. The original regime was much more careful to suspend realities like "speed traps" and power yielding troopers. Few things would ruin my trip more than an expensive ticket or (knock on wood) the greatly feared DUI. Not than I regularly power drink or drive THAT excessively but I can't help but fondly remember the days when there was no chance of a blue light behind you. I am in the minority but I disagree with the current DUI laws. They are way too strict and are a gigantic cash cow-period. The whole system is set up to bleed money.The cops must of been foaming at the mouth to have free reign over the property... revenue-revenue-revenue.

And nothing ruins the magic even more than getting into an automobile accident while on the property because someone was speeding excessively or was drunk. I don't like tourist speed traps where they stop people for going a few miles over the limit. This doesn't sound like what they're doing. If you look at the number of guests who travel the property each day and the number of tickets that are getting written, it's a fairly low percentage.

bgraham34

While i hate having cops harrass me or whovever has to deal with them. I can understand a crackdown on Disney property where people from all over the country with different skills and abilities are abound it is smart to slow everything. Now in NJ people who just stay right and keep up with traffic the state would be a happier place.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
kcnole said:
And nothing ruins the magic even more than getting into an automobile accident while on the property because someone was speeding excessively or was drunk. I don't like tourist speed traps where they stop people for going a few miles over the limit. This doesn't sound like what they're doing. If you look at the number of guests who travel the property each day and the number of tickets that are getting written, it's a fairly low percentage.
That is what they've been doing. They've been pulling people over for >5mph and ticketing them for 5mph exactly hoping they won't take it to court.

Hence, why 3 out of 4 times the deputy didn't show up to court for me. They knew they were wrong and I was right.

WDW is officially a speed trap.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
CAPTAIN HOOK said:
Are the roads throughout Disney "Private Property" or "Public Highway" ?
They are highways maintained by the Reedy Creek Improvement District. So both are correct.

monorail256

mkt said:
also, they're ticketing for everything. I know someone who actually got ticketed for failure to register his vehicle in FL... this is the first time I've ever heard of this happening in the state of Florida, in over 10 years of living here

I was actually leaving Downtown Disney the other night with a friend and this happened to him...

gbrooks135

bgraham34 said:
Now in NJ people who just stay right and keep up with traffic the state would be a happier place.
shoot not just in NJ but all over the the u.s and it is real bad here on hwy 501 here in Myrtle Beach SC

kcnole

But look at the number of people they're ticketing over the number of people who are on the road. That property is huge, and to only average 20 tickets a day with the number of the cars on that road, I just don't think it's that large of a percentage.

I'd be interested to see the percentage numbers of cars ticketed vs cars on the road.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
it's gotta be more than 20. I can count in one day easily seeing more than that many people pulled over with lights flashing. Perhaps 20 per deputy?

Coasterbp

mousermerf said:
Note - they have folks writing tickets IN the parking lots now too. The MGM tram guy pointed it as we were leaving, and surely enough, some person got pulled over for speeding through the lot just as the tram guy mentioned it.

Funny how they mention in the article that they aren't targeting CMs or certain people... but this police officer in the MGM lot, that I have seen numerous times, is clocking people at a point in the lot that 100% of the castmembers have to use but only 30% of parking guests use.... Yeah, they aren't targeting anyone in particular.

:rolleyes:

Why don't they just put more speed bumps in the MGM lot, because it's not like we don't have enough there already.... Its like driving over bad courderoy.

wild01ride

Woody13 said:
They use aerial speed enforcement as well. A deputy in a plane or helicopter will time your progress between pre-measured marks on the road using a stopwatch. If you get from point A to point B in too quick a time, he radios a waiting ground unit to write you a ticket. :wave:

Don't you wonder who thought of this idea?
Hmm....
$5 million for a police helicopter
$5 a gallon for JET A and outrageous hourly operating costs for a turbine helicopter
$1 million for gyroscopic traffic enforcement avionics

All for a handfull of $150 speeding tickets - PRICELESS

:lol:

All in the name of safety though, I agree!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom