Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In Jan 2021, the number of COVID deaths per day in the US: 3,400
Today, the number of COVID deaths per day in the US: 305

In May, the number of COVID hospitalizations: 853,000
In May, the number of 'breakthrough' COVID infections of those vaccinated resulting in hospitalization: 1,200
Percentage of 'breakthrough' hospitalizations in May: 0.1%

In May, the number of COVID deaths: 18,000
In May, the number of 'breakthrough' COVID deaths of those vaccinated: 350
Percentage of 'breakthrough' deaths in May: 0.8%

Just to show that "95% effective" doesn't mean "5% will become ill with the virus," but closer to "less than one percent."

HouCuseChickie

So, I shared this over in another thread, but my fully vaccinated parents, brother and SIL started exhibiting symptoms on Sunday...congestion, fever, etc. They thought it might just be a cold, since they are fully vaccinated, but my brother called a little later to say that something was off with his sense of taste and smell. I'm not sure yet about my brother's family's results (his kids are too young to be vaccinated, but they are also symptomatic), but my parents' tests came back positive for Covid. I have to wonder if this is the impact of the Delta variant in conjunction with low vaccination numbers. I can only hope that being vaccinated means more mild cases for them.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So, I shared this over in another thread, but my fully vaccinated parents, brother and SIL started exhibiting symptoms on Sunday...congestion, fever, etc. They thought it might just be a cold, since they are fully vaccinated, but my brother called a little later to say that something was off with his sense of taste and smell. I'm not sure yet about my brother's family's results (his kids are too young to be vaccinated, but they are also symptomatic), but my parents' tests came back positive for Covid. I have to wonder if this is the impact of the Delta variant in conjunction with low vaccination numbers. I can only hope that being vaccinated means more mild cases for them.
Vaccinations do not prevent infection. They prime your body to fight the infection. Same with the "natural immunity" someone gets from having a infectious disease, they can still be infected again, but, they're immune system is primed to fight it.

And so, there will be vaccinated people (and those who already had COVID) who will be infected again. Most won't notice because COVID is very asymptomatic, and their immune system will start kicking its butt right away.

But... not all immune systems are the same. Some, when re-infected, will have COVID get enough of a foothold to make them ill.

The good news is that the 3 vaccines given in the U.S. are all good at fighting the Delta variant. It should prevent almost everyone from being hospitalized. And among those that do get hospitalized, it will protect almost all of them from dying.

Now, a very very small percentage of people might not have had a sufficient immunological reaction to the vaccine (or their first infection), and so, it may hit them hard. But that's not necessarily the fault of the vaccine -- some people's immune systems may be weak.

Anyway, the Delta variant does seem to be more contagious the the prime virus. The verdict is out if it is more deadly.

This means that it's likely a spike will happen in the general population (but the vaccinated and already-infected will be relatively safe). Among the already-immunized, the spike and hospitalization and death rates will be low. Among the un-immunized... it can get bad. O, hello, Missouri, we were just talking about you!

1625082423857.png

Just about every other stat has their stats going down.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interesting pre-print study that is speculating that the blood clotting side effects seen in the Astra-Zeneca and J&J maybe a result of the injection going into a vein instead of the muscle.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Just in case people don't know this, and it seems some don't... vaccines don't cure you if you're dying from COVID...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
With AZ being unlikely to ever get approved in the U.S., and a general souring on J&J's vaccine, it seems the US is doubling down on Pfizer to complete the vaccine regimen, and perhaps, to pre-order boosters...

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 576073

I hope this will be finally be over by October soon as the cases aka future variants will be stopped by boosters/current vaccines aka millions of unvaccinated people got vaccinated, as listening to CDC's guidelines soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom