COVID souvenirs

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I've been reading the DCL Cruise Line community page on FB. The consensus seems to be:

1. Other than employees, anecdotally, 5-10% of guests are wearing masks.
2. Anecdotally, after the cruise, 100-200 people in their FB groups are testing positive for COVID (that they know of.) Cue the lamenting folks: "I have COVID right now, I wish I had worn a mask." That said, a number of them say they were vaccinated, wore masks, etc. and still got sick. It seems most are not presenting with symptoms until they get home (which I guess makes sense especially on short trips.)
3. Almost everyone still says they aren't going to wear masks. Folks posting about testing positive before the cruise seem like they would go anyway if they took a chance and lucked out with a negative test.

We have been good with masking and calculated risks throughout the pandemic, and it has varied at high or low points of the pandemic. For awhile, I wouldn't go to a gym at all. Then I went with a mask (despite being one of very few who did.) Then I joined a gym that is open 24 hours and often literally empty. The most I've ever seen in there with me were 3 other people. I don't wear a mask there, but I keep a distance. That's still a risk, but I feel the odds are pretty good in my favor.

We still wear it at the grocery store. My employees all wear them at work. I do not wear them at my favorite hangout - a local kava bar near my store - where it is very often only the (vaccinated) proprietor and myself in the afternoon, and rarely more than a few patrons. We pretty much all know each other. I still keep a distance most of the time, and I leave if it gets unexpectedly busy. I always carry a KN95 with me (often around my neck, which serves as a cue for people to keep their distance.) For clarification, I have asthma and Brian has diabetes, so we're both high risk. Neither of us has had COVID as far as we know, though we've continued doing pretty much whatever we've wanted to do, safely - i.e. with masks where warranted, avoiding movie theaters on weekends but going on weekday matinees and sitting away from others.

Obviously, this is not to start a mask debate or a political debate.

I wanted to know your experiences cruising in the last year...were you members of facebook groups for your particular cruise where you would find out if people tested positive afterwards? Were you aware of issues on your cruise? I heard of one where "the covid positivity rate was over 1%" and the captain issued some masking guidelines (may not have been a DCL cruise.)

I'm going on the assumption that at least 100 people will get sick. I'd rather they not be us. I'm also not going to bubble wrap myself or stay in the room 24/7.

Our plans were already to keep to ourselves a bit, keep a distance as we normally do, wear a mask at the theater, wear a mask to the big group dinners, always have one with us in case we feel uncomfortable indoors somewhere, and spend more time outside, near a pool with a drink, very much avoiding children and people with children LOL. We'll skip the bon voyage thingy on day one for sure.

So I'm thinking status quo with a little heightened awareness is the way to go. Do what we usually do, try not to let our guard down, stick to outdoor bars more often than not. We have 2 brunches and 2 dinners booked at Remy and Palo, so I presume those are safer option than the rotating restaurants, and we have second seating on those. We may do the gym and/or spa. We're doing some tastings.

Our most recent boosters were in April. Mine was a specialized one geared towards Omicron, Brian's was not. (I'm in a study.) I'm going to ask the people running the study if they can/should give me another in August, or if I can/should get a "regular" one on my own (which would likely mess up the study.)

Did you or your shipmates bring home COVID souvenirs?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I just took a trip to Hawaii with a planned surgery after and my doctor asked that I masked on there flight home with an N95 or better. He said that surgical masks or cloth masks were designed to protect others but N95 could help protect me. I had COVID in February so I'm not sure if the mask helped or not but I did wear it and I didn't catch COVID. Just wanted to mention that because of you plan to mask you might want to think about *which* mask.

Otherwise, if there wasn't something like surgery depending on it, I would have just assumed we'd catch something like we always seem to on vacation (hello Disney crud) and plan accordingly.

Good luck!

lostpro9het

I've been reading the DCL Cruise Line community page on FB. The consensus seems to be:

2. Anecdotally, after the cruise, 100-200 people in their FB groups are testing positive for COVID (that they know of.) Cue the lamenting folks: "I have COVID right now, I wish I had worn a mask." That said, a number of them say they were vaccinated, wore masks, etc. and still got sick. It seems most are not presenting with symptoms until they get home (which I guess makes sense especially on short trips.)
3. Almost everyone still says they aren't going to wear masks. Folks posting about testing positive before the cruise seem like they would go anyway if they took a chance and lucked out with a negative test.

We have been good with masking and calculated risks throughout the pandemic, and it has varied at high or low points of the pandemic. For awhile, I wouldn't go to a gym at all. Then I went with a mask (despite being one of very few who did.) Then I joined a gym that is open 24 hours and often literally empty. The most I've ever seen in there with me were 3 other people. I don't wear a mask there, but I keep a distance. That's still a risk, but I feel the odds are pretty good in my favor.

We still wear it at the grocery store. My employees all wear them at work. I do not wear them at my favorite hangout - a local kava bar near my store - where it is very often only the (vaccinated) proprietor and myself in the afternoon, and rarely more than a few patrons. We pretty much all know each other. I still keep a distance most of the time, and I leave if it gets unexpectedly busy. I always carry a KN95 with me (often around my neck, which serves as a cue for people to keep their distance.) For clarification, I have asthma and Brian has diabetes, so we're both high risk. Neither of us has had COVID as far as we know, though we've continued doing pretty much whatever we've wanted to do, safely - i.e. with masks where warranted, avoiding movie theaters on weekends but going on weekday matinees and sitting away from others.

I wanted to know your experiences cruising in the last year...were you members of facebook groups for your particular cruise where you would find out if people tested positive afterwards? Were you aware of issues on your cruise? I heard of one where "the covid positivity rate was over 1%" and the captain issued some masking guidelines (may not have been a DCL cruise.)

I'm going on the assumption that at least 100 people will get sick. I'd rather they not be us. I'm also not going to bubble wrap myself or stay in the room 24/7.

Our plans were already to keep to ourselves a bit, keep a distance as we normally do, wear a mask at the theater, wear a mask to the big group dinners, always have one with us in case we feel uncomfortable indoors somewhere, and spend more time outside, near a pool with a drink, very much avoiding children and people with children LOL. We'll skip the bon voyage thingy on day one for sure.

So I'm thinking status quo with a little heightened awareness is the way to go. Do what we usually do, try not to let our guard down, stick to outdoor bars more often than not. We have 2 brunches and 2 dinners booked at Remy and Palo, so I presume those are safer option than the rotating restaurants, and we have second seating on those. We may do the gym and/or spa. We're doing some tastings.

Our most recent boosters were in April. Mine was a specialized one geared towards Omicron, Brian's was not. (I'm in a study.) I'm going to ask the people running the study if they can/should give me another in August, or if I can/should get a "regular" one on my own (which would likely mess up the study.)

Seven cruises with four different lines over the last year. We were members of FB groups for each. With each trip folks had to cancel last minute due to testing positive and with each trip a handful came home with souvenirs. We never masked up for any of the trips except when required to, i.e. DCL last September required it all over the ship and Virgin and Celebrity required it while embarking in November, December, and February. We’re vaccinated and boosted, generic booster. We are not what would be considered high risk that I know of. We’ve noticed mask wearing dwindle down to almost zero while on board over the last year. And, while I’m not debating, I do seriously question mask effectiveness when you’re body to body for 45 minutes during a dance party. Im saddened that you will will be limiting your expenses but hope you have a most magical time. If you boost up again, please be sure to give yourself time for it to not trigger a failed covid test for your trip!

ChuckElias

I've been on one Disney cruise and one non-Disney cruise since the re-start. Our first one in January was with Star Clippers and we only had 116 people on board. Masking was pretty lax, but they did take our temperature before every meal. We know of at least 3 people who tested positive at debarkation and had to quarantine for 10 days in Barbados. I would bet that there were a few more positives that I didn't hear about.

On our DCL cruise, I did pretty much what you've described here. I wore my mask almost all the time indoors, and even at the outdoor deck parties, because they were crowded. There was honestly no discussion of people testing positive within my Facebook group after the sailing, so I don't have any idea what the numbers were for positives.

I was mostly comfortable while onboard the Dream, especially because I always had a mask. And I say it was crowded, but we were only at about 60% capacity.

I have no idea if any of that is helpful at all 🤣 🤣 🤣

TheMouseFan

All 5 of us came home Covid free and are still Covid free after our recent cruise. I heard someone say that we sailed at 45% occupancy. The dining rooms were definitely not full, but we did have people at the tables immediately around us. The theaters were full enough that there were people close to us each time we went. We just tried to keep as distanced as possible, but did not wear masks other than on the van for our excursion where they were required. We did skip the sail away party and the pirate deck party to try to avoid the crowds.

Maelstrom Troll

I plan on cruising with my FEMA issued PAPR.
4512FF2A-10A4-4589-A39F-DF8F36497E5F.jpeg

Maelstrom Troll

In all seriousness, my family and I will be taking the same approach as you when it comes to this cruising. We will probably be wearing masks in the common areas, and my daughter will wear a mask in the tween club, but we won’t be just staying in our room and we won’t be missing out on much. I guess I don’t even really worry all that much about Covid anymore with me being exposed to it on a daily basis at work. My family thought that we were crazy to go to Disney World in 2020, but again I have a higher chance of getting it at work so why not. This is why we’re cruising this year and we will continue to cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom