• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

COVID etiquette?

Sillysidewalker

Original Poster
Morning all! We are heading to WDW in May all 6 of us. We were there in November but it was only 3 of us. It drove me nuts when people didn’t respect the line spacing. As a party of 3 we were able to do this respectfully. However I started thinking with a party of 6 what is the best way to do this. Break up in two or three groups and respect the spacing? Although this looks nice it seems silly that I would need to be 18 feet away from the people I am staying in a room with. How would you handle this if you had a large family?

Any other COVID etiquette either good or bad you have seen in the parks with large families?

Last edited:

KBLovesDisney

By now we all should know how to act around others during the pandemic. Everyone needs to wear their mask properly, everyone needs to distance themselves from other people that are not part of your party, and use common sense. It’s very easy.
...for the people who actually have common sense.

You'd be surprised at how many people actually lack common sense.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All personal opinion... If you care about others, as well as yourself? You'll always know what to do. Stay as far away from other Humans as you can, and use that mask. Some people will behave badly... it's up to responsible people to go the extra mile.

By the time DW & I hit WDW in NOV 2021, we'll have been fully MODERNA vaccinated, for months. Which does NOT mean that we'll prance around with "I'm Vaccinated" badges. We will wear masks, even if we are at low personal risk - because we need data to insure that we are not still a risk to OTHERS. DW & I want that little 4 year old in the OTHER family to live :).

Pepper's Ghost

All personal opinion... If you care about others, as well as yourself? You'll always know what to do. Stay as far away from other Humans as you can, and use that mask. Some people will behave badly... it's up to responsible people to go the extra mile.

By the time DW & I hit WDW in NOV 2021, we'll have been fully MODERNA vaccinated, for months. Which does NOT mean that we'll prance around with "I'm Vaccinated" badges. We will wear masks, even if we are at low personal risk - because we need data to insure that we are not still a risk to OTHERS. DW & I want that little 4 year old in the OTHER family to live :).
I agree with what you're saying, but just wanted to comment...

So many people don't seem to understand that when Pfizer and Moderna did their trials and then reported 95% efficacy, they did so during the time when almost everyone was staying holed up in their homes and strictly wearing masks in public. My guess is that the 95% would be much lower if people were going to restaurants, sporting events without distancing, joining in sizeable groups, etc. without masks. I think people are getting the wrong idea about the vaccines at this point. Getting vaccinated does not mean you can go out footloose and fancy free as the "age-challenged" say. 😊 Once the country gets north of 70% vaccinated, I think going back to a maskless life becomes more realistic, but not until that point.

Now, with that said, if someone wants to take chances with their health, that's their right I guess, but the longer the virus and variants circulate, the harder it is to rid ourselves of it.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I agree with what you're saying, but just wanted to comment...

So many people don't seem to understand that when Pfizer and Moderna did their trials and then reported 95% efficacy, they did so during the time when almost everyone was staying holed up in their homes and strictly wearing masks in public. My guess is that the 95% would be much lower if people were going to restaurants, sporting events without distancing, joining in sizeable groups, etc. without masks. I think people are getting the wrong idea about the vaccines at this point. Getting vaccinated does not mean you can go out footloose and fancy free as the "age-challenged" say. 😊 Once the country gets north of 70% vaccinated, I think going back to a maskless life becomes more realistic, but not until that point.

Now, with that said, if someone wants to take chances with their health, that's their right I guess, but the longer the virus and variants circulate, the harder it is to rid ourselves of it.

But I thought some trial participants were deliberately exposed to the virus which would mean it would have been easier for them to get sick than it would be for someone who wears a mask going to a grocery store.

sullivan.kscott

If you’re clustered as tight as reasonably possible as a family of 6, making an honest effort, I agree it’s partly on the family/group behind you to maybe stay a touch further back if they feel the need to do so. If your family is a little more “strung out” in the line, taking up the whole box of space between markers, it might be best to split up into smaller groups.

Pepper's Ghost

But I thought some trial participants were deliberately exposed to the virus which would mean it would have been easier for them to get sick than it would be for someone who wears a mask going to a grocery store.
I've not heard that previously, but not saying it isn't true. I'd have to think that would be malpractice though, wouldn't it? Intentionally putting your participants in harm's way? If they did that with the group who got the vaccine, they would have to do it with the control group too, and that would put those folks at significant risk since they just got the placebo.

After typing the above, I used the google machine out of curiousity. This source isn't a vaccine manufacturer, but states that they don't directly expose trial participants to the virus... https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-people-are-key-to-testing-a-covid-19-vaccine

Last edited:

durangojim

Don’t be surprised if it seems like people want to be pet of your group. We’re a family of four and must be very attractive because we always had people in line that wanted to be as close to us as possible, lol

Big Phil

Morning all! We are heading to WDW in May all 6 of us. We were there in November but it was only 3 of us. It drive me nuts when people didn’t respect the line spacing. As a party of 3 we were able to this respectfully. However I started thinking with a party of 6 what is the best way to do this. Break up in two or three groups and respect the spacing. Although looks nice seems silly that I would need to be 18 feet away from the people I am staying in a room with. How would you handle this if you had a large family?

Any other COVID etiquette either good or bad you have seen in the parks with large families?
The thing is, it is a theme park. I know that Disney has pandered to the fear crowd for most of the last year but it must be killing them to be this "nice" about it for so long because it has no doubt cut into their business, which we should all care about more than anything considering we are on a Disney site. I guess that's why they aren't enforcing distancing so much from what I hear. I say go and relax. If you are worrying about someone being too close to you in a line then you shouldn't be at a theme park. For me I haven't worried about being in crowds all year, it doesn't bother me, or many, at all. Look at the Texas Rangers game the other day, 40,000 people, most not wearing a mask. They'll live. But what is more important is that it is their choice. I wouldn't suggest that someone who is still fearful attend a packed ball game. But I would, and many would. What we have to do is get back to basics. Stay away from crowded places if you don't want them. But there is a reason Disney has been Disney all these years and without the crowds over the years they never would have been able to fund things such as Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc. and all of the things that WDW has ballooned to. So crowds are good.

Princessvacg

The thing is, it is a theme park. I know that Disney has pandered to the fear crowd for most of the last year but it must be killing them to be this "nice" about it for so long because it has no doubt cut into their business, which we should all care about more than anything considering we are on a Disney site. I guess that's why they aren't enforcing distancing so much from what I hear. I say go and relax. If you are worrying about someone being too close to you in a line then you shouldn't be at a theme park. For me I haven't worried about being in crowds all year, it doesn't bother me, or many, at all. Look at the Texas Rangers game the other day, 40,000 people, most not wearing a mask. They'll live. But what is more important is that it is their choice. I wouldn't suggest that someone who is still fearful attend a packed ball game. But I would, and many would. What we have to do is get back to basics. Stay away from crowded places if you don't want them. But there is a reason Disney has been Disney all these years and without the crowds over the years they never would have been able to fund things such as Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc. and all of the things that WDW has ballooned to. So crowds are good.
Well said👍

eliza61nyc

Op, do what you would do anyplace else. Stay with your personal group.
Also don't assume if someone encroaches on your space that they are automatically rude, a lot of times in line you tend to "drift".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom