[COVID-19] DCL Sailings Canceled

Ldno

A lot of countries in central/South America require you test for covid 4 days before your trip. Fact is a lot people don’t know and miss their flights and chance to enter their country! It’s a cluster going anywhere

NelleBelle

I only hope they are as prudent when COVID passes and seasonal flu returns. One preventable death is one too many!
There is at least vaccines and therapeutics for the flu, none of which COVID has (although remdesivir is considered a therapeutic, one cannot get it from your local pharmacy; you have to be admitted to the hospital to receive that drug).

Magic Feather

Admittedly, my DCL info has been really hit or miss lately (that's what happens when you don't have any friends directly in DCL haha), but the consensus seems to be that some cruise lines (not Disney) are trying to knock out their CDC mandated "test cruises" in late December/January to try and get guests onboard by late January/early February. DCL seems to be taking a "wait and see" approach, but likely DCL will be back by Spring Break season. The big (expected) hit is going to be to entertainment. Deck Parties and Fireworks at Sea Appear to be a non-starter for now (with the latter having a better chance at returning in the short term than the former). Characters appearing in a similar manner to how they do at WDW on balconies and the like. Potentially DLP-esque Selfie Stations

Only cruises out of Canaveral (and maybe Miami) to start. Depending on what the Bahamian government says, itineraries will likely be limited only to Castaway or limited to Castaway and Nassau. Likely starting with just Dream and then adding Fantasy depending on demand (which is largely expected to be there).

There seem to be concerns about reduced dining+theater capacity being able to handle the number of guests. For dining, I've heard everything from Cabanas being added to the dinner rotation to adding a third seating time. For the theaters, Buena Vista will likely be blocked off the same way that 3D theaters at WDW are blocked off (Every other row with three seats blocked between patches of four). WD Theater is either assigned seats to optimize or same of Buena Vista. There is a chance that people will not be able to see a show every night of the cruise as well. Activities will also have a limited capacity.

Finally, there are a lot of concerns about the kids clubs. I've heard different things on what is actually going to happen with them though, so we'll have to wait and see.

RememberWhen

Admittedly, my DCL info has been really hit or miss lately (that's what happens when you don't have any friends directly in DCL haha), but the consensus seems to be that some cruise lines (not Disney) are trying to knock out their CDC mandated "test cruises" in late December/January to try and get guests onboard by late January/early February. DCL seems to be taking a "wait and see" approach, but likely DCL will be back by Spring Break season. The big (expected) hit is going to be to entertainment. Deck Parties and Fireworks at Sea Appear to be a non-starter for now (with the latter having a better chance at returning in the short term than the former). Characters appearing in a similar manner to how they do at WDW on balconies and the like. Potentially DLP-esque Selfie Stations

Only cruises out of Canaveral (and maybe Miami) to start. Depending on what the Bahamian government says, itineraries will likely be limited only to Castaway or limited to Castaway and Nassau. Likely starting with just Dream and then adding Fantasy depending on demand (which is largely expected to be there).

There seem to be concerns about reduced dining+theater capacity being able to handle the number of guests. For dining, I've heard everything from Cabanas being added to the dinner rotation to adding a third seating time. For the theaters, Buena Vista will likely be blocked off the same way that 3D theaters at WDW are blocked off (Every other row with three seats blocked between patches of four). WD Theater is either assigned seats to optimize or same of Buena Vista. There is a chance that people will not be able to see a show every night of the cruise as well. Activities will also have a limited capacity.

Finally, there are a lot of concerns about the kids clubs. I've heard different things on what is actually going to happen with them though, so we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for the update! We moved our Feb 21 cruise to Feb 22. Kids clubs and dining were big concerns for my group (11 adults, 8 kids). As much as we want to go, we want it to be as close to what we were originally expecting as possible. Hoping another year will help get us where we need to be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
4D43F6F5-1942-4E94-B18C-00F6FE82C403.jpeg

ChuckElias

A positive test is not great news, obviously. But the report says it was a preliminary test. This also happened on a sailing in Europe over the summer. Several passengers tested positive, so they cut the cruise short, went back to port, and every passenger re-tested negative. The preliminaries were false positives. And that's my hope here. We should know later today.
I saw that...the 7 day “guinea pigs at sea” cruise.

I’d honestly consider doing it if I wasn’t semi-sure the services will suck
Here's a report from someone on that Sea Dream sailing that was just cut short. It's obviously from before the positive test, but he says it was "surprisingly normal".

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

A positive test is not great news, obviously. But the report says it was a preliminary test. This also happened on a sailing in Europe over the summer. Several passengers tested positive, so they cut the cruise short, went back to port, and every passenger re-tested negative. The preliminaries were false positives. And that's my hope here. We should know later today.

Here's a report from someone on that Sea Dream sailing that was just cut short. It's obviously from before the positive test, but he says it was "surprisingly normal".

I have been following this cruise on YouTube through these gentlemen..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You mean “normal” except for being canceled/diverted due to covid?

ChuckElias

Most of the western world was “surprisingly normal” too at the start of March.
You mean “normal” except for being canceled/diverted due to covid?

I'm not sure why there's so much snark on this topic. I was simply replying to the poster who said he was concerned that services onboard a simulated sailing would suck. The person who was actually on that cruise said that the services didn't suck, and that it was pretty normal prior to the positive test.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure why there's so much snark on this topic. I was simply replying to the poster who said he was concerned that services onboard a simulated sailing would suck. The person who was actually on that cruise said that the services didn't suck, and that it was pretty normal prior to the positive test.

I’m usually guilty of snark...but that really isn’t the undertone here.

My point is that cruises are simply paddling upstream (pun intended) in the current global health climate.
Two months ago it looked possible...now it’s looking worse by the day.

I get that they want to sail. Especially carnival, Rccl, etc there are only Cruise companies...but that are going to have bigger logistical problems as these numbers rise...and travelers are easily scared off...

...And what was the other thing???....

Hmm...right:
The “hoax” claims have been irrefutably proven to be a HOAX!!!😡

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom