[COVID-19] DCL Sailings Canceled

Miss Bella

I love cruising and have been on more than 50 of them but why would anybody want to go on a cruise in the near future. You might as well play Russian roulette.
I work on a COVID unit. Most people have very mild symptoms. The ones that die are old with a lot of comorbidities. The middle age ones are usually morbidly obese with a lot of comorbidities. If any of those apply to you I wouldn't cruise, but if you are a relatively healthy person I wouldn't put your life on hold. God forbid you die in a car accident or something in the next year and you spent the last year of your life holed up in your house..

Club Cooloholic

I work on a COVID unit. Most people have very mild symptoms. The ones that die are old with a lot of comorbidities. The middle age ones are usually morbidly obese with a lot of comorbidities. If any of those apply to you I wouldn't cruise, but if you are a relatively healthy person I wouldn't put your life on hold. God forbid you die in a car accident or something in the next year and you spent the last year of your life holed up in your house..
So we are making the false equivalence of choosing to drive a car to go to work, get groceries, whatever to a person choosing to get on a ship full of strangers during a pandemic?

Miss Bella

So we are making the false equivalence of choosing to drive a car to go to work, get groceries, whatever to a person choosing to get on a ship full of strangers during a pandemic?
Ships aren’t sailing during the pandemic, but Its not a false equivalency to me. I work in a hospital full of strangers everyday.

Last edited:

Phonedave

Virus's don't work like poison ivy. You don't have a histamine response to a virus.

I didn't mean that it would generate a histamine response, what I was trying to illustrate is that just because your body reacts to something in one way does not necessarily mean it is going to react in the same manner with subsequent exposure.

Miss Bella

I didn't mean that it would generate a histamine response, what I was trying to illustrate is that just because your body reacts to something in one way does not necessarily mean it is going to react in the same manner with subsequent exposure.
It’s been proven that people are developing antibodies to the virus.

Miss Bella

And are you paying the hospital to be there?
No they’re paying me so I can give it to DCL. I’m not sure what your point is. I’m not afraid to cruise. I don’t see it as risky. Nothing is going to change my mind on that.

Cruiselines won’t be sidelined forever and when their back in business I’ll be ready to sail.

Indy_UK

I have a 5 night cruise from Dover booked in September. I’m assuming they aren’t thinking that far ahead yet on what’s going to happen. I’d like to think it’s still happening

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I have a 5 night cruise from Dover booked in September. I’m assuming they aren’t thinking that far ahead yet on what’s going to happen. I’d like to think it’s still happening
If the Transatlantic doesn't happen then your cruise won't. It's all up in the air at the moment . Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Indy_UK

Transatlantic has been cancelled, but I have been assured that would not be an issue since they have been operating without passengers anyway for months now. Airplanes are repositioned all the time without passengers.

Sorry do you mean it’s currently cancelled or likely to be come September?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes, but what does that have to do with the cost of tea in China?

Just because people are developing antibodies does not mean they become immune, or that their response to the infection will necessarily be predicated on their previous response.

Fauci said today it is likely antibodies offer protection and this assumption can be made based on previous viruses and what we have learned so far. But he also said it would take months or years of testing to prove it conclusively for this virus.

Miss Bella

Fauci said today it is likely antibodies offer protection and this assumption can be made based on previous viruses and what we have learned so far. But he also said it would take months or years of testing to prove it conclusively for this virus.
Tomorrow he may say something completely different.

Phonedave

Exactly - "likely": My response was actually to a different previous posted who said they have no issue cruising because they already had COVID-19. Their argument was that they might be immune, and even if they are not they know they are just going to feel ill for 3-4 four days, and not have any additional complications because that is what happened to them the first time.

My points were:

You may or may not be immune - although it is looking more and more like that may be the case

If you are not immune, just because infection did not result in serious complications the first time does not necessarily mean the same thing will happen if you get it again. People are still not sure why it impacts some people in the way it does, nor how to prevent that from happening.

Somehow those statements degenerated into a whole other discussion.

I really hope people acquire immunity, that would cause this thing to die out even faster. But, just because people hope something is real, does not mean it is, until it is proven to happen.

NelleBelle

And n o one knows how long certain antibodies provide immunity—look at your MMR vaccine. Before I could be admitted into my OT program back in the late ‘90s, I had to have a new vaccine. And other vaccines are good only for so long (e.g. flu). Sorry, didn’t want to hijack the t hi read any further than it already was 😉

jensenrick

Personally I would be more worried that someone else on the ship gets very ill, everybody gets restricted to cabins, and then when it's time to go to port- the port says, "OH NO, you aren't getting off here!" That's happened many times in the past few months, and I would not be surprised if it happens again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom