[COVID-19] DCL Sailings Canceled

A Noble Fish

Original Poster

All Disney Cruise Line sailings canceled on March 14th, for the remainder of the month (or really until the virus dies down).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...eam-last-cruise-before-suspension/5041092002/

This post will be updated with new information as it comes in.​

Here's a good article about the facts of COVID-19, what steps you can take, and what not to worry about:

Last edited:

TP2000

Thankfully no Florida-based cruises are impacted yet. But this Grand Princess story is blowing up here in California this afternoon on local talk radio and TV news.

This situation with the Grand Princess seems like it's going to be very bad PR for the American cruise industry as a whole, and it will be a difficult narrative to overcome for all cruise lines. Who wants to risk going on a 5 day cruise that becomes a mandatory two week quarantine in your cabin?

We are awaiting word on how California port officials are going to handle this, but as of late this afternoon they have not changed their position that the Grand Princess is forbidden from mooring in any California port.

TP2000

Update on the Grand Princess just came across the radio here in SoCal. The ship has turned away from San Francisco and is now moving south down the coast of California. Vice President Pence has said that the ship will dock at an "undisclosed and non-commercial port" later this weekend, and that all passengers would be taken ashore and "quarantined at a military base". All employees are going to be quarantined on the ship once it reaches the port.

This has folks speculating that the ship will arrive at either Vandenberg Air Force Base on the central coast tomorrow, or down in San Diego by Sunday. If the ship heads to San Diego it likely will dock at North Island Navy Base. The passengers can be quarantined at the Navy base there, or at nearby Miramar Marine Corps Air Station.

Surprise Spring Break in San Diego! Except you can't leave base and will never get to Sea World or the San Diego Zoo. :(

And again, this Grand Princess mess is going to be a media story for a few days that's not going to help Disney Cruise Line, or any cruise line in this country.

Lilofan

Update on the Grand Princess just came across the radio here in SoCal. The ship has turned away from San Francisco and is now moving south down the coast of California. Vice President Pence has said that the ship will dock at an "undisclosed and non-commercial port" later this weekend, and that all passengers would be taken ashore and "quarantined at a military base". All employees are going to be quarantined on the ship once it reaches the port.

This has folks speculating that the ship will arrive at either Vandenberg Air Force Base on the central coast tomorrow, or down in San Diego by Sunday. If the ship heads to San Diego it likely will dock at North Island Navy Base. The passengers can be quarantined at the Navy base there, or at nearby Miramar Marine Corps Air Station.

Surprise Spring Break in San Diego! Except you can't leave base and will never get to Sea World or the San Diego Zoo. :(

And again, this Grand Princess mess is going to be a media story for a few days that's not going to help Disney Cruise Line, or any cruise line in this country.
There must be some forgiving employers and bill collectors since the passengers will not coming back to their homes on time.

TP2000

There must be some forgiving employers and bill collectors since the passengers will not coming back to their homes on time.

No kidding. I can only imagine the chaos this causes the 2,000 passengers about to be stuck in quarantine. Pets, bills, jobs, bosses, schools, kids, houseplants, etc., etc.

A total nightmare for those folks! And what person planning a Spring Break cruise in the next few weeks would want to risk that? Cancellations are probably going through the roof.

Lilofan

No kidding. I can only imagine the chaos this causes the 2,000 passengers about to be stuck in quarantine. Pets, bills, jobs, bosses, schools, kids, houseplants, etc., etc.

A total nightmare for those folks! And what person planning a Spring Break cruise in the next few weeks would want to risk that? Cancellations are probably going through the roof.
At WDW to park your car at the cruise terminal is around $25 per day. Disney picking up the tab?

TP2000

At WDW to park your car at the cruise terminal is around $25 per day. Disney picking up the tab?

I would hope so, but you never know.

I do wonder where a Disney Cruise Line ship based out of Florida could head for quarantine? They closed the Charleston Navy base back in the 1990's, but is the submarine base near Savannah still open? Maybe around the horn to Pensacola?

Lilofan

I do wonder where a Disney Cruise Line ship based out of Florida could head for quarantine? They closed the Charleston Navy base back in the 1990's, but is the submarine base near Savannah still open? Maybe around the horn to Pensacola?
I would think Pensacola where there is a Navy base.

ToTBellHop

Just send them to Riviera Resort. No one likes it anyway and they have Tower Suites for the infected! Covid-19 with Fireworks View Dessert Party???

TP2000

We have a cruise in just over a month. As long as we don’t have to pay the tips for the extended stay, I won’t be worrying about cancellations.

Cancellations before the cruise leaves the dock are one thing, and rather manageable. But what about when your ship isn't allowed back into a port at the end of its cruise?

The Grand Princess was denied entry back into a California port by Governor Gavin Newsom and has been circling out beyond the Golden Gate Bridge for the last five days, and is only now being allowed to dock in Oakland tomorrow. The 2,000 passengers will then be disembarked and taken to quarantine facilities at military bases; California citizens will be sent to California bases, and other Americans will be sent to military bases in Texas and Georgia, while no statement has been made on non-American passengers. But all Grand Princess passengers will be quarantined for two weeks at military bases.

The Grand Princess crew will not be allowed off the ship, the ship will be re-supplied and then banished from California and sent into a two-week quarantine at sea to await further instructions.

Now comes word that another ship, the Regal Princess, is being held off the Florida coast today and is not being allowed to dock at Port Everglades while tests come back on two crew members who are sick. If the tests come back positive, those passengers will await the same fate of days of delay before they are allowed off the ship and then transported to various military bases for two weeks of quarantine.

Why would anyone risk that kind of experience at this point?

ChuckElias

Why would anyone risk that kind of experience at this point?
Because that risk seems to be extremely low. Of the literally thousands of cruises that have sailed since the outbreak began, there have been exactly 4 quarantines, and two of those were in Asia.

I completely understand if someone were to say that ANY risk of quarantine would cause them to cancel. I get that. I think it's an over-reaction, personally, but I understand why someone would feel that way. JMO, as always.

ChuckElias

Now comes word that another ship, the Regal Princess, is being held off the Florida coast today and is not being allowed to dock at Port Everglades while tests come back on two crew members who are sick. If the tests come back positive, those passengers will await the same fate of days of delay before they are allowed off the ship and then transported to various military bases for two weeks of quarantine.
I just heard from someone who had a family member on that ship that they were cleared to dock.

ctechbob

From Miami Herald:

"The Regal Princess docked at Port Everglades Sunday evening around 10 after sailing back and forth off the coast all day waiting for coronavirus test results to come back for two crew members.

The ship was supposed to dock in Port Everglades Sunday morning but instead spent the day at sea after the U.S. Coast Guard delivered and retrieved test kits from the ship via small boat. At 6:30 p.m. Sunday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced the tests came back negative and rescinded its “no-sail order,” clearing the ship to dock.

The tested Regal Princess crew members transferred to the Florida-based ship from the Grand Princess cruise ship in California, which has 21 positive cases — 19 of them crew members — of the virus that causes COVID-19. The Regal crew members are not showing symptoms of the virus, the company said. Princess Cruises is owned by Miami-based Carnival Corporation.

"

TP2000

The US State Department has just issued a statement on Sunday evening that Americans "should not travel by cruise ship"

I have to wonder what the various cruise lines will do with this new warning. Tell their passengers to ignore the US State Department? Or cease operations for the time being?

Lilofan

The US State Department has just issued a statement on Sunday evening that Americans "should not travel by cruise ship"

I have to wonder what the various cruise lines will do with this new warning. Tell their passengers to ignore the US State Department? Or cease operations for the time being?

There are hundreds of cast who work for DCL and that does not even include the cast working on the ships.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom