Rumor Country Bear Jamboree to be Replaced by Toy Story Show?

SteamboatJoe

From my perspective, no line uttered during the Country Bear Jamboree reaches the level of "if I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting," from Guardians of the Galaxy. There may be innuendos, like those during the scene with Teddi Berra, but there is no mention of seminal fluid covering the walls.

Star Lord is coming to Epcot. The Country Bears are certainly more age-appropriate for children in the early and middle childhood stages of development than Peter Quill.
Yet, Disney has no problem selling Star Lord shirts, action figures, Halloween costumes, etc. And the general public eats it up.

prberk

Here is an example of why these attractions are important. In 1973 my grandparents were in their 60s and they took a trip to Florida with my dad who was in his 20s. They stopped off at the Magic Kingdom one of those days. They liked it. One thing that always made my grandpa laugh was Country Bear Jamboree. For the same reason it was sentimental to my dad as well. I was 2 when my grandpa died but any time I see that show I always feel a bit of a connection to him.

That's the thing, you can't buy that sort of love of an attraction. What makes Disney so unique is that you can have tons of these stories such as "this was my grandpa's favorite attraction" where you can't do that even in a place like Universal because they rip out their original attractions. This is partly why most of us who are on this WDW board still prefer Disneyland over the Magic Kingdom, because they maintain their core pieces a lot better than MK. Last I checked MK still had about 17 opening day attractions but that is just the point, these are still the core pieces of the park (or the ones that opened up shortly after). There is a blessing of space in that park so you should be able to have the old with the new.

One of the greatest things about these attractions is that to this day Walt's imagination trumps anyone else's since 1966...................combined. This is why they can't think of original ideas anymore, or build original attractions. Which is all the more important to preserve the old ones.

To be honest I think one of the things that helped Walt to be so successful is that he was not "corporate" any more than he had to be. After the Oswald debacle, he was more or less always in charge. He had failures (and is quoted as saying everyone needs a good failure early in life, to teach them), but he also was able to go with his gut on a lot of things. There was risk involved. But he did not need a focus group or MBA to approve that what he did was not going to offend anyone. He was naturally good at what MBAs call "synergy" today, and he understood business overall. But, aside from working with Roy and normal business concerns (taxes, regulations, partnerships, etc.), he was able to follow his gut and be creative. This doesn't meant that they did not do studies. But it means that the type of studies that they did were to make the attractions authentic, not ones that were centered on making it the least offensive.

That was the genesis of what made (and makes) Disneyland and WDW so special. Mickey and the gang (especially Donald) were never the Care Bears -- anesthetized to a corporate goo. While they were never quite as brassy, maybe, as their Warner Brothers counterparts (Buggs Bunny and friends), they were also not afraid to have fun with characterizations that reflected real human characteristics, including some adult characteristics that could be funny.

Anyway, I am glad that Walt and his imagineers got to make some of these attractions just from their guts. I think it made the difference.

homerdance

If this is replaced, don't expect to be wowed by the replacement. The footprint it takes up is small and any sort of queue area that would be needed for a truly worthy replacement would not fit in the existing space. I expect to be underwhelmed by the replacement (if it happens).

prberk

One thing we could all do to support it (and reminisce at the same time) is to buy the original (and I mean ORIGINAL) soundtrack. I know it is available for $6.99 on iTunes, and I am sure it is on other sites.

I can tell you that just listening to Pete Renoudet, the Stoneman family (central to the beginning of "country" music), and western great Tex Ritter (John Ritter's father, who voices "Big Al," and was a great "singing cowboy") ... all with the correct timing and banter in tact... fun and refreshing.

That soundtrack is also another example of how in its heyday, Walt Disney Productions used the RIGHT voice for films and attractions, not necessarily a trendy pop voice, to make its films and attractions timeless.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So 41 pages of it and all I am getting is nothing but rumors about Tiki and Bears. None of it makes sense to me as to why as they are both small theatres that offer a charming show that goes back to the time of Walt. So what is it? Are they actually considering removing these or is it just rubbish? If so, why? Both fit perfectly into their lands, both are integral to the theming of their lands. If this is the case you are getting less and less influence of Walt Disney in WDW and that isn't a good thing.

Neither has a popular IP tie in, it's that simple.

Magenta Panther

One thing we could all do to support it (and reminisce at the same time) is to buy the original (and I mean ORIGINAL) soundtrack. I know it is available for $6.99 on iTunes, and I am sure it is on other sites.

I can tell you that just listening to Pete Renoudet, the Stoneman family (central to the beginning of "country" music), and western great Tex Ritter (John Ritter's father, who voices "Big Al," and was a great "singing cowboy") ... all with the correct timing and banter in tact... fun and refreshing.

That soundtrack is also another example of how in its heyday, Walt Disney Productions used the RIGHT voice for films and attractions, not necessarily a trendy pop voice, to make its films and attractions timeless.

I upvoted this suggestion for the sentiment, and for lauds for the great country artists you mention. But buying the soundtrack won't budge Chapek one bit. Remember when they found out how upset people were about the removal of Maelstrom? They offered a Maelstrom t-shirt in the Disney stores - which made some folk (including my uncle) hopeful that this was a sign that Maelstrom would stay. But of course it turned out to be just a cheap mean-spirited exploitation of people's emotions. My uncle felt like a sucker and hasn't worn the shirt he bought to this day. I wouldn't be surprised if he chucked it.

ToTBellHop

If an attraction has consistently low attendance numbers, it has to at least be considered for the chopping block...IMO.
The thought process is:

1) IP we want to use
2) park which has a need for capacity
3) low hanging fruit with either a popularity crisis or an easy retheme. If it needs an expensive refurb anyway, all the better.

The actual theme of the land doesn’t matter much any more.

Sometimes it’s Avatar replacing Camp Minnie-Mickey which ended up being a good call. Other times...

Incomudro

I've only attended CBJ twice in my lifetime.
Once with my family when I was a little kid, and once again with my own wife and kids a couple of years ago.
The thing about CBJ that isn't done anymore is the intricacy.
The layers, and how they all build upon themselves - every new song brings a new and higher level.

jt04

These 50th anniversary additions could all be intended as limited time attractions of about two years or less.

This could serve a couple purposes. Complete refurbishment after the 50th with state of the art tech for existing attractions. IE the CBJ with modern robotics.

Or.....

An interim step for completely replacing the venues after the 50th making their removal easier for people to accept.

I'm routing for the second possibility.

ToTBellHop

These 50th anniversary additions could all be intended as limited time attractions of about two years or less.

This could serve a couple purposes. Complete refurbishment after the 50th with state of the art tech for existing attractions. IE the CBJ with modern robotics.

Or.....

An interim step for completely replacing the venues after the 50th making their removal easier for people to accept.

I'm routing for the second possibility.
They're not limited time.

ToTBellHop

Well this is getting interesting. Are they all as controversial as CBJ?
Around here they are. Guests will lap them up like labradors.

I’m biased of course. If changes come to pass, I expect I’ll be bringing my kids into these theaters more in 2021 than 2019. I’ve never felt CBJ or ETR achieved the greatness of a Pirates or a Mansion. If they were looking to retheme Haunted Mansion to The Lion King, I’d have my pitchfork out. Not that I’m averse to hearing Beyoncé and Donald Glover in MK, but not in my Mansion.

I understand how someone who feels about CBJ the way I feel about Mansion or Tower of Terror would be upset. I want to learn more about the proposed replacements for these shows. After all, at the end of the day, Mission Breakout is very popular even if the building is hideous.

jt04

Around here they are. Guests will lap them up like labradors.

I’m biased of course. If changes come to pass, I expect I’ll be bringing my kids into these theaters more in 2021 than 2019. I’ve never felt CBJ or ETR achieved the greatness of a Pirates or a Mansion. If they were looking to retheme Haunted Mansion to The Lion King, I’d have my pitchfork out. Not that I’m averse to hearing Beyoncé and Donald Glover in MK, but not in my Mansion.

I understand how someone who feels about CBJ the way I feel about Mansion or Tower of Terror would be upset. I want to learn more about the proposed replacements for these shows. After all, at the end of the day, Mission Breakout is very popular even if the building is hideous.

No doubting some attractions reach classic status and shouldn't be reimagined. Only enhanced. I'd add BTMRR to the list.

Long term, I hope they think bigger for the MK. Expanding Fantasyland and adding two new lands seems reasonable. The 50th celebrations can be that bridge. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom