Rumor Country Bear Jamboree to be Replaced by Toy Story Show?

TrainsOfDisney

I’m not sure I understand the frequent “Disney isn’t a museum” arguments. The classic attractions are still what everyone talks about, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise. People go to Disney to see the castle, ride the classic rides, see the fireworks / parades etc.

Attractions need to be refreshed and enhanced. But if you replace and retheme everything, the parks lose there charm.

celluloid

If it could be profitable enough for a Dinner show, you would see it modified to be so in its current position more likely than a move and a buiod ground up in terms of new management. A decent idea, but if Disney wants it out, it would go.

Hopefully the rumor goes the way of time chasers.

prberk

I miss some of the edited out material as well, particularly the original version of the finale song "Ole Slew Foot". It's a magic moment when all the bears came out together and Big Al is still singing "Blood on the Saddle" throughout. They chopped out a few bars of music where they all hollered and then sang another chorus. It was already brief enough. I know things fall out of fashion and today's audiences are different on the whole with less attention span, but it really is sad. It's one of the originals that made Walt Disney World so special. It should be restored, not removed. I'm still mourning The Diamond Horseshoe show.

Cannot agree with you more. Both of those songs were real songs, and "Ole Slew Foot" is a classic that was often sung as an all-sing by jug bands and musicians in a guitar pull. But especially the whooping and hollering ("Hey gang, hit it!") was fitting of the vaudeville/medicine show that fits exactly in the Frontierland space. Remember they did not have microphones back then, and they had to attract and entertain the audience with over-the-top performances and variety. And they did just that.

Instead of trying to bring Frontierland to 2019, I think they should do their best to bring us to Frontierland, with a fun glimpse of this unique time and style of entertainment in the way that only Disney can do. Update the technology and perhaps tweak the show along the way, but go deeper into the spirit and wit of the frontier show -- not farther.

prberk

If it could be profitable enough for a Dinner show, you would see it modified to be so in its current position more likely than a move and a buiod ground up in terms of new management. A decent idea, but if Disney wants it out, it would go.

Hopefully the rumor goes the way of time chasers.

The "Hoop-De-Doo Revue" is more or less a dinner show in the same style. And, of course, it is also threatened by unnecessary encroachment from the "nature-inspired" concrete monstrosity being built behind it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’m not sure I understand the frequent “Disney isn’t a museum” arguments. The classic attractions are still what everyone talks about, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise. People go to Disney to see the castle, ride the classic rides, see the fireworks / parades etc.

Attractions need to be refreshed and enhanced. But if you replace and retheme everything, the parks lose there charm.

As much as we would all like Disney to add but never remove, we know that's not practical, so where do you draw the line? What gets removed and what doesn't.

ToTBellHop

And they don't go for Pandora or Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.

They go to Disney World for RIDES. They would do well to remember that at DHS.

TrainsOfDisney

And they don't go for Pandora or Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.

They go to Disney World for RIDES. They would do well to remember that at DHS.

Do they? Did Pandora bring in new guests? That’s a legit question by the way. If nothing else it’s bringing people at WDW to DAK to help spread out the crowds, that’s for sure. But I’ve yet to hear anyone say they want to go to Florida specifically to see Pandora the way they talk about Harry Potter. I mean I really like Pandora and I’m guessing / hoping I like Galaxies Edge too. But I don’t think there is any easy answer for why people go to Disney.

trainplane3

The "Hoop-De-Doo Revue" is more or less a dinner show in the same style. And, of course, it is also threatened by unnecessary encroachment from the "nature-inspired" concrete monstrosity being built behind it.
And even then, Hoop is probably going to be moved. It was mentioned in the new resort thread that a new Pioneer Hall is to follow at some point. That is a show I would sharpen a pitchfork over...

ToTBellHop

Do they? Did Pandora bring in new guests? That’s a legit question by the way. If nothing else it’s bringing people at WDW to DAK to help spread out the crowds, that’s for sure. But I’ve yet to hear anyone say they want to go to Florida specifically to see Pandora the way they talk about Harry Potter. I mean I really like Pandora and I’m guessing / hoping I like Galaxies Edge too. But I don’t think there is any easy answer for why people go to Disney.
People in Connecticut mention Pandora and Toy Story Land in conversation. Purely anecdotal, to be sure.

People expect new rides at WDW. If they don't update things, most folks stop going. Only the insane fans want nothing to ever change. And they return regardless. People literally say, "Don't bother going to Epcot. It hasn't gotten anything new in years" when talking with friends heading down to WDW. And it shows in Epcot's attendance.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I would characterize this as being on more solid footing than you suggest but not set in stone. It's not even as likely as the Main Street Theatre once was. Yet. I suspect we will know one way or the other by Halloween (the holiday, not the time of year in Magic Kingdom that starts in like 3 weeks).
Have you heard anything regarding the 2nd part of the rumor, the potential replacement? Is the Toy Story rumor on point?

TrainsOfDisney

We are members of a Disney World fan forum. If anyone is a crazy fan, it’s us. Disney doesn’t have to appeal to us.

Agreed :p

The Disney that would appeal to me is Omni-mover e-tickets, transportation rides, and streetmosphere entertainment everywhere. Ha. So I know Disney isn’t worried about me!

I do think a core group of visitors are wanting to experience what they think is “Disney” - the castle, the fireworks, and the parades are probably very high on that list along with Dumbo, haunted mansion, pirates, Peter Pan, space mountain, etc. These are a part of the American culture.

ToTBellHop

Agreed :p

The Disney that would appeal to me is Omni-mover e-tickets, transportation rides, and streetmosphere entertainment everywhere. Ha. So I know Disney isn’t worried about me!

I do think a core group of visitors are wanting to experience what they think is “Disney” - the castle, the fireworks, and the parades are probably very high on that list along with Dumbo, haunted mansion, pirates, Peter Pan, space mountain, etc. These are a part of the American culture.
They want classics AND new. But Disney seems unwilling to keep expanding due to operational costs. I’m sure they’re BARELY breaking even....

starri42

They want classics AND new. But Disney seems unwilling to keep expanding due to operational costs. I’m sure they’re BARELY breaking even....
There are two factors at play here. The most important is that they want to drive traffic into the parks. For better or worse, that means IP-based attractions. Dumbo is just a spinner ride like you'd find at the country fair...but it's Dumbo. That's going to have a hook like no other. My husband has a rank aversion to Disney, but I'm getting him there for what is likely our only visit together in December specifically because Galaxy's Edge makes it more appealing to him.

But the other issue that's rarely talked about is maintenance costs. And despite the rose-colored glasses we all look through (I miss Horizons too), that's something that's been present since the beginning. For a myriad of reasons, Disney can't get corporate sponsorships like in days of yore (and seeking to display costs by sending the bill to Monsanto was there from the start). So any upkeep comes from the bottom line, and if something isn't getting butts in the Omni-Mover seats, they'll decide it's not worth the expense, when that real estate could be taken up by something that would. And I just don't think the bears or birds do that.

I'm not saying that I won't be sad when/if Jose, Fritz, Michael and Pierre make their final appearance. Of course it's sad. But nostalgia alone doesn't pay the bills. And yes, it seems like they're making enough money that is shouldn't matter, but for good or ill, that's the financial system Disney operates in.

Rodan75

Let's hope you are right.

But here is the thing, part of WDW is exactly just that - a museum. This is what we like about the place. Liberty Square, Frontierland, even Adventureland to an extent, you just can't modernize them, it doesn't work. The exact point is that these attractions, or lands, are moments frozen in time.

I think you are right to a point. You can keep the settings and slowly and continuously update the attractions to mirror modern sensibilities. Disney has come a long way in learning how to treat Polynesian cultures respectfully since the 60's that should be incorporated and I think there is a way to approach the bears that maintains some of the camp of 70's HeeHaw style humor while also shaving down some of the rougher edges. It is a tight line to walk, but I would prefer them to try vs demolishing these areas.

TrainsOfDisney

It's just as unreal as it is real. It is very likely to happen but definitely not. Ya know?

The project itself is a rumor, the location of the project is another rumor.

Fact - a woodys roundup show has already been designed and built and is operating at the horseshoe type venue in Paris.

Fact - Disney wants to add attractions for the 50th.

So it does seem likely that this is a real proposal. But it seems more likely to be put into the horseshoe as a way of re-opening an opening day attraction (that’s my opinion only).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom