Rumor Country Bear Jamboree to be Replaced by Toy Story Show?

doctornick

Except the Diamond Horseshoe is currently a profit center since they use it as a table service location.

Serious question, but how often is it used for food? It seems to me that most of the time its not open. And they have other "part time" food service places available that can pick up the slack if it were converted to an attraction and not available for food.

Though ideally, it could be used for a show and also offer food/drinks.

tl77

Because then they would be building a new attraction which increases operating costs. By replacing something existing with something they think will draw more crowds they increase capacity without increases cost.
I don't have much sympathy for Disney's "cost concerns" when they charge $4 for a cup of Coke, and $600 a night to stay in a nearly 50 year old hotel

DeletedAccount55555

If you want a different example, how about Universal's plans for Nintendo in Kid Zone. It was never a confirmed rumour by Universal (even if we saw some permits). So was that just an unsourced rumour too?

If you recall, stories about those plans include an actual layout of what would go in KidZone. The fact the reports included those plans bolsters the credibility of the story -- not just a mention of "internal documents."

It was also reported by WFTV, which I will argue has much higher standards for running with a story than Tom.

I'm not saying unsourced rumors may not turn out to be true. Clearly they have, but that shouldn't be an argument that all unsourced theme park rumors are therefore trustworthy. And in this case, I don't trust Tom, his potentially self-serving motives, and his track record of reporting rumors that never come to fruition and then refusing to acknowledge that fact.

DAR1974

If the CBJ moved over to the Hoop De Doo I could live with that. Of course hasn't the rumor for years been that Carousel of Progressive was being moved to Innoventions? Maybe this is one of those situations.

HippieCrane

Could the addition of food service be the best way forward for both Tiki and CBJ? I think it's a reasonable compromise if the only alternative is losing the attractions.
food service wouldnt be good unless the show was continuously running and you could walk in and sit at a table any time

danheaton

I'd be sad to see The Country Bears go, and my initial thoughts on the rumor was to be angry. I still think putting Toy Story in there would be stupid, but I hate to think too much about what the site that will be named puts in there either.

Looking at this from a different perspective, I will say that I'd be sadder to see Carousel of Progress and The Tiki Room go than the Country Bear Jamboree. While I know it's not directly related (and more could happen to multiple ones), but if Chapek and Co. have the need (problematic as it is) to inject more IP into a classic show, I guess they could do much worse.

prberk

These three shows are not just nuggets of the past that have connections to Walt himself (yes, including CBJ when it was posed for the Mountain King resort), but they are all three greatly well-done shows that give us a glimpse (on purpose) to another time and/or place. They are costume dramas that can be given updates but are best done with the timelessness in mind that they currently have.

The Country Bear Jamboree is a great view into a bygone era that helped build the foundations for not only country and western music (two different actual genres that come together well) but also show business in general. It takes a humorous look at the traveling vaudeville-type medicine shows of the 1800s, and most of the songs are real songs, with others written to fit. And all across the street from Tom Sawyer Island. Remember that Mark Twain spent a long time in Huckleberry Finn's story telling us about the Royal Nonesuch traveling medicine show. The CBJ could be updated by Nashville's best, not with "modern" country, but with great artists who understand the genre the way that the writers for "O Mickey Where Art Thou" did. Really only to update the sound technology and maybe teak the songs. But overall the show is well-written and contributes to the theme well.

Not to mention the fact that the more long-playing attractions that we remove for fast and short rides, the more crowded the park will become. They knew what they were doing when they designed these attractions.

LaughingGravy

“Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland…the blessing of size. There’s enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine.”

Oh, never mind.

CBJ is a staple. It's a shame it was removed from DL in favor of a 50% Pooh ride.

The thought of WDW not being a museum was mentioned.
We have been putting our family vacation money to places that have been preserved, including Disneyland just a month ago ( pre-Star Wars Land opening) with its Snow White's Scary Adventures and many other points ( lots of trees! and lots of nice benches!) as well as other parks such as Knoebel's in PA, and the fantastic and real National Parks of the US.

WDW has been fun, and I hope to visit in the future, but only if the value is there.
But, if they do a real quality refurbishment of CoP, I'll be back sooner.
Starting to hold my breath now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Moving a working attraction to a resort is going to require a fee to see it. Likewise, if it's moved to an out-of-park restaurant, there will be a cover charge to see it.

Attractions like these require paying engineers to fix and maintain.

Would you pay $5 per person to see CBJ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom