Rumor Country Bear Jamboree to be Replaced by Toy Story Show?

ToTBellHop

I'm 21 and in some ways I do identify with the bears. I wasn't born and raised in the south or west, but I've always enjoyed the kind of humor that's in the show. I clap and sing with the characters every time I experience it. I love it so much and I wish more people would appreciate the show.
I despise CBJ. Didn’t like it as a kid, either. I would just rather mosey on down to Splash and Big Thunder.

I’d also accept the DL treatment and convert it into a Fantasyland-style dark ride.

Imagineer999

I despise CBJ. Didn’t like it as a kid, either. I would just rather mosey on down to Splash and Big Thunder.

I’d also accept the DL treatment and convert it into a Fantasyland-style dark ride.

The existence of Splash and Big Thunder is one of the reasons why the Country Bears are overlooked nowadays. Having two thrill rides in Frontierland, many guests just don't feel the need to discover the Country Bears. Before then, the show brought in a lot more people. What Disney doesn't seem to understand is that no matter what they do to the show, whether they replace it or change it up, it is always going to be a minor favorite, meaning that there are people like myself who love it but it's never going to be the park's most successful attraction. Taking five minutes out of the show in the 2012 refurbishment did not help at all, so I don't see how making changes will make it any better. You have no idea how many people I know who have never bothered to experience the show because they were too focused on Splash and Big Thunder. It's unfortunate, but the show will never be a box office hit. However, there are people who love it anyway, and replacing it with an IP that already has a big presence elsewhere in the parks would be a huge insult to the fans and to Walt's legacy. Not everything has to be a new IP-based experience. There are people who go to the parks to experience the old nostalgic stuff, and they pass it along to their kids and grandkids and so on.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If the bears are to be replaced, I’d rather see something thematically appropriate and more entertaining in that area. The Toy Story marionette show posted in the video above does not look entertaining to me. I also think Toy Story should stay in Toy Story Land. Why build a whole land if they’re not going to make use of it? I’m already tired of seeing Toy Story in Tomorrowland too, it doesn’t need to be everywhere. Are people really craving Toy Story that much?
Oh, you mean like Storytime With Woodie and Jessie?

GhostlyGoofy

So they through Pooh at the wall and it unfortunately stuck.
This is an important thing to remember.

As much as many hate when IP takes over a classic ride sometimes it saves it from an even more commercial fate.

When swiss family Robinson treehouse became a Tarzan treehouse that was saving it from becoming yet another gift shop.

So if woody's roundup does replace CBJ maybe be thankful it's not ANOTHER Ear kiosk???

myawn

Per a certain site, Country Bear Jamboree is to be replaced imminently by a new Toy Story stage show.
I guess I’m in the minority here, but the ONLY reason I would miss this even a tiny bit is that it removes any hope that they would ever again put on the Christmas version of the show.

I just loved the Christmas show ... the normal show does nothing for me.

CalebS

I'm 21 and in some ways I do identify with the bears. I wasn't born and raised in the south or west, but I've always enjoyed the kind of humor that's in the show. I clap and sing with the characters every time I experience it. I love it so much and I wish more people would appreciate the show.
I’m 21 and find it to be funny, my fiancé does as well and shes 21 also. My niece is 9 and she also found it funny. We do; however, live in a rural town in tennessee with a population of like 520 people so we might find the over generalization of country people funnier because we actually experience country people every day

prberk

The show actually was well-researched when it was made. It was originally intended for the Mountain King resort that never got built. But along the way the show writers wrote a show that really captured the legitimate feel of the types of vaudeville and medicine shows prominent in the 1800s America (especially the west) that led to the mix of comedy and music that laid the foundation for the later national "barn dance" and "Opry" type shows that brought country and western music (yes, two different genres that mix together) and country comedy to a national audience.

It fits with the time period of Frontierland, as well as with the Tom Sawyer references. The "Royal Nonesuch" in Tom Sawyer's and Huckleberry Finn's world would feel comfortable running in Grizzly Hall if they stopped by on their circuit. It would be a good neighbor even to a Woody's Roundup show at the Diamond Horseshoe. (A Will Rogers type of show would also be a good neighbor. But of course we should really look for a Willy Boag type of Western homage show. But I digress.)

Just like some of the bygone references in CoP (like sarsaparilla), the Country Bear Jamboree is a simple, fun, wholesome show that really does expose you to foundational aspects of American culture and history that are too easy to forget but that still built part of our culture. Even most of the songs are that as well.

Some of this discussion just reminds me of the larger discussions that we have sometimes about how much research, detail, and love the original imagineers (and the best ones today) have put into their projects -- and why I loved WDW in the first place. Yes, it is fun, but for those willing to look, real detail and passion is there.

Last edited:

OG Runner

I have always enjoy the Country Bear Jamboree, but a Toy Story show could work. Hopefully, it would be more
geared toward Woody and crew, to better fit in with Frontierland in general.

Musical Mermaid

Oh, you mean like Storytime With Woodie and Jessie?
Toy Story has its own land with 3 attractions, multiple meet and greet characters, and themed food. It also has an attraction in Tomorrowland and is at Typhoon Lagoon during the summer, which doesn’t make sense to me. That’s more than enough here for an overrated set of films. At least the bears add some variety to the park.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Toy Story has its own land with 3 attractions, multiple meet and greet characters, and themed food. It also has an attraction in Tomorrowland and is at Typhoon Lagoon during the summer, which doesn’t make sense to me. That’s more than enough here for an overrated set of films. At least the bears add some variety to the park.

I agree...except with the overrated part.

Bocabear

This is an important thing to remember.

As much as many hate when IP takes over a classic ride sometimes it saves it from an even more commercial fate.

When swiss family Robinson treehouse became a Tarzan treehouse that was saving it from becoming yet another gift shop.

So if woody's roundup does replace CBJ maybe be thankful it's not ANOTHER Ear kiosk???
Honestly they are spoiling all the classic charm of the park by cramming Toy Story down our throats...Enough of Toy Story already... Keep Toy Story in Toy Story land...and while they are at it, move Laff Floor and Buzz Lightyear over to DHS too. Rewrite the seasonal overlays for CBJ...Bring back the variety and spruce up the show...Added in theater effects? Why not, but don't get rid of it... Likewise with the Enchanted Tiki Room... Spruce it up, plus up the effects, Freshen up the soundtrack with more dimensional sound...Make the storm sequence thrilling...It would be great...but don't lose the heart and soul of the park for an overused IP

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Honestly they are spoiling all the classic charm of the park by cramming Toy Story down our throats...Enough of Toy Story already... Keep Toy Story in Toy Story land...and while they are at it, move Laff Floor and Buzz Lightyear over to DHS too. Rewrite the seasonal overlays for CBJ...Bring back the variety and spruce up the show...Added in theater effects? Why not, but don't get rid of it... Likewise with the Enchanted Tiki Room... Spruce it up, plus up the effects, Freshen up the soundtrack with more dimensional sound...Make the storm sequence thrilling...It would be great...but don't lose the heart and soul of the park for an overused IP

This! So much this. x1000 LIKE points.

philcan

I hope it will not happen it is a great spot to cool off, be entertained, Introduce kids and grandkids to. I have seen it many times & it is still fun. They can build a bigger sport for Toy Story. They should build it in Toy Story land where a spot with AC is sorely missing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom