Could we see a return of Wishes?

nitstalker

Original Poster
So I was 'at' a private fireworks event at the Contemporary Convention Center tonight... They had the radio system hooked up through the loudspeakers to play the sound - and I know it was tested earlier in the day... Apparently unbeknownst to event staff someone changed the channel on the radio sometime during the day. When the fireworks lit off Wishes was playing through the system.. Alot of the guests were like Omg it's Wishes!!! And ALOT of cell phones came out lol.. CMs were like OMFG that's the wrong soundtrack lol

Apparently the big issue is that HEA is about 7 mins longer than wishes is... Oddly enough the timing of the fireworks worked really well for the old Wishes soundtrack. Well, right at the end of wishes, there coincided a couple loud booms from the new fireworks show... 'Someone' changed the channel on the radio to another channel and Happliy Ever After came through for the rest of the show...

No one could explain or understand how Wishes was coming through... I find it odd that after all this time, they are still broadcasting Wishes on one of the fireworks radio channels unless there is some future plan to use it. The only other conceivable Idea I had was perhaps if there is a failure in castle projection, which Happily Ever After uses heavily, they could use the wishes track...

I'm sure there is someone here that has some insights...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The audio was possibly never removed from the system. It’s easier (especially during T&A) to add the new audio to unused tracks instead of overwriting the old. The show audio is composed of many tracks and is sent to many different places (park zones, resorts, transmitters etc) and one of the tracks either never got swapped or was mistakenly swapped back.

Once the show is armed (typically around ten minutes before showtime) it is mainly computer controlled and at T minus zero the audio will kick in, using all the tracks that are selected to play. Then you have to consider the backup system and if that has the correct tracks too.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

tumblr_lpist3gu7t1qbn4o5o1_500.gif

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The audio was possibly never removed from the system. It’s easier (especially during T&A) to add the new audio to unused tracks instead of overwriting the old. The show audio is composed of many tracks and is sent to many different places (park zones, resorts, transmitters etc) and one of the tracks either never got swapped or was mistakenly swapped back.

Once the show is armed (typically around ten minutes before showtime) it is mainly computer controlled and at T minus zero the audio will kick in, using all the tracks that are selected to play. Then you have to consider the backup system and if that has the correct tracks too.
They can make that mistake every night for all I care, heck to bad they didn't do that during MSEP

nitstalker

Original Poster

That makes some sense too.. The HEA radio channel was 'Floats'... The channel that lit up the wishes audio was 'Group1'... Also you couldn't hear the DTMF tones on the Wishes channel either, but did once switched over...

Maybe the Blue Fairy had to come out last night to grant one more wish :) Its was sooo awesome tho... I'll admit, I was being a little bit of a fanboy lol lol

nitstalker

Original Poster
Why are WDW fans obsessed with getting hand-me-down entertainment from other parks? We have, arguably, the best castle park nighttime show in the entire world and people still **** after tired old shows from the last decade. I’m generally curious.

While I agree that Happily Ever After is a more visually appealing show, the Wishes soundtrack is far superior. Although I look at it from being a professional audio engineer. The audio production value was phenomenal. It seems in the new show they traded some of the audio value toward projection.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I was kind of hoping for Remember dreams do come true for 2020.
Why are WDW fans obsessed with getting hand-me-down entertainment from other parks? We have, arguably, the best castle park nighttime show in the entire world and people still **** after tired old shows from the last decade. I’m generally curious.
50th anniversary version of wishes, that's all, plus with its run time and theming it would hold up better to HEA.

Tom P.

Well since you do have an actual professional opinion that can hear things someone like me can't , I'll accept it ;) But I otherwise disagree that anything from Wishes is superior to HEA, soundtrack included.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think Wishes was superior to HEA in just about every way. The new show, while technologically advanced, seems wholly uninspired and rather dull to me.

And it's not just about being unadventurous and not wanting change. I cannot wait until they have a replacement for Illuminations. It is desperately needed. And I love the Galactic Spectacular at DHS and think it far superior to the previous show.

I just happen to think Wishes was something special and HEA is not.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Because people are at heart, unadventurous. We become attached to what we already know and expect the same going forward. I'm guilty - I still miss Fantasy in the Sky. But I just promise myself a few extra sugar cookies and I'm good.
I'd easily take a 5 minute Fantasy in the Sky and a light parade over wishes and HEA any day if that was a real trade off

Wow some people are getting really wound up about this.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just because someone disagree's with your point of view, that is not a valid reason to insult them.
For what it's worth, we both really enjoyed HEA the couple of times we saw it during our trip last year, it's a visually stunning show & definitely superior to Wishes on that front, but we both agreed that it didn't have the emotional impact that Wishes had, especially the sound track.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For all eternity!!! :eek: Or until we get a new show and I become the person I'm ranting against if it doesn't live up to HEA o_O

I don't know how anyone can watch really any part of the show and not get chills or nearly cry; especially the moment when Tinker Bell flies over the audience. Like gah!! I never remember being this touched by Wishes, ever.
I do.

MaryJaneP

On a somewhat tangentially audio related post, the sound piped into the rooms and the CR Tower 4th floor outdoor concourse was horribly overmodulated when we were there last week. Also, putting it on TV channel 105 in rooms, and failing to mute underlying audio on sports recap show, meant for some very strange interactions. Especially when the sports hosts were discussing stuff during quieter breaks in HEA.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Wishes is great and all, but I'm quite happy with HEA (pun unintended). It might be fun to have a limited run of Wishes as part of a "throw-back" event or something, but nothing more than that.

Ouray

Wishes, by far, has the more sophisticated score and its recording production value from a technical standpoint is clearly superior to anyone with a decent set of ears. How can you not like Night on Bald Mountain in contrapuntally integrated with Poor Unfortunate Souls? Wishes, especially its first iteration before a lot of the fireworks changed, was a very tight, and cohesive show.

Raineman

When it comes to your preference of one MK nighttime show over another, I really think that it largely depends on which one impacted you the most emotionally. The first time I saw Wishes was at the end of the first day I ever went to WDW with my DD, so I have that emotional connection to it, something I really don't have with HEA. Both shows' visuals and soundtrack are great, but when that girl starts singing "Star light, star bright" at the beginning of Wishes, my heart melts. Even though I don't feel that way about HEA, I completely understand why some people do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom