Could we get a Stranger Things attraction?

Tank Man

Original Poster
Not a HHN maze, but a proper attraction for year round. The popular Netflix show has lots of fans and could Universal use this. I don’t know how successful the maze has been but what if it was popular enough for them to green light a Stranger Things attraction, what do you think it could be. This probably would not happen but things that are counted as something more then a maze (ride, walk through tour, show, etc. ) what would you think. I know this idea won’t happen but what if Disney makes Fox cut the wire on Springfield at Universal, they could rebuild the land to be Hawkins and the rude will be a journey into the upside down. The town will have a flat ride called the Mind Flare spinner (sxrambler) then a Demogodgon steak house then the main ride will be at the StarCourt Mall from season 3 with the monster from the third season on the top. It would still be a simulator and use the same tech. The story is that the guests find the Russian base and are put into transport vehicles to a cell but get intercepted by the Mike, El and the gang and run into the Mind Flare.
What do you think they should do

JT3000

While I wouldn't completely rule out something small like a walkthrough attraction, since The Walking Dead got one in Hollywood, I seriously doubt anything further happens with this IP.

The Simpsons rights won't expire until after Stranger Things has been cancelled.

Tank Man

Original Poster
While I wouldn't completely rule out something small like a walkthrough attraction, since The Walking Dead got one in Hollywood, I seriously doubt anything further happens with this IP.

The Simpsons rights won't expire until after Stranger Things has been cancelled.
Yeah, I just used it as an example since if it were to go into USF it would most likely replace Springfield but not likely to happen as we don’t know how this could all work out

Rich T

Not a HHN maze, but a proper attraction for year round. The popular Netflix show has lots of fans and could Universal use this. I don’t know how successful the maze has been but what if it was popular enough for them to green light a Stranger Things attraction, what do you think it could be. This probably would not happen but things that are counted as something more then a maze (ride, walk through tour, show, etc. ) what would you think. I know this idea won’t happen but what if Disney makes Fox cut the wire on Springfield at Universal, they could rebuild the land to be Hawkins and the rude will be a journey into the upside down. The town will have a flat ride called the Mind Flare spinner (sxrambler) then a Demogodgon steak house then the main ride will be at the StarCourt Mall from season 3 with the monster from the third season on the top. It would still be a simulator and use the same tech. The story is that the guests find the Russian base and are put into transport vehicles to a cell but get intercepted by the Mike, El and the gang and run into the Mind Flare.
What do you think they should do
I thought the Stranger Things walk-throughs last Halloween (especially the Florida version) were so solid in their design and pacing that they could basically be turned into a great on-rails dark ride with very little change to the scene sequence. Just update a bit to add the new monsters.

Tank Man

Original Poster
I thought the Stranger Things walk-throughs last Halloween (especially the Florida version) were so solid in their design and pacing that they could basically be turned into a great on-rails dark ride with very little change to the scene sequence. Just update a bit to add the new monsters.
I never have been to HHN but I heard the stranger things One was awesome. But there is a problem that the show is rumored to end with the next season (4)

Rich T

I never have been to HHN but I heard the stranger things One was awesome. But there is a problem that the show is rumored to end with the next season (4)
I've also heard it might go to 5, depending on if the show's creators have a good plot in mind. I think, at this point, Stranger Things has been seen by so many people--and will be re-watched on Netflix for years and years--that a good dark ride would remain popular long after the show airs its last season. Especially since the park doesn't have any other haunted dark ride anything like it.

Tank Man

Original Poster
I've also heard it might go to 5, depending on if the show's creators have a good plot in mind. I think, at this point, Stranger Things has been seen by so many people--and will be re-watched on Netflix for years and years--that a good dark ride would remain popular long after the show airs its last season. Especially since the park doesn't have any other haunted dark ride anything like it.
True,
The show will be remembered.
And yes Universal does not have many proper dark rides, all of them in USF are screen based attractions, unless it could be a screen ride

Wendy Pleakley

To me, Stranger Things is an average to good show that has been elevated by the nostalgia factor.

To that end, a Stranger Things mini-land that transports guests back to the 1980's would be fun.

Tank Man

Original Poster
To me, Stranger Things is an average to good show that has been elevated by the nostalgia factor.

To that end, a Stranger Things mini-land that transports guests back to the 1980's would be fun.
Yeah,
They are lots of possibilities but at the end of the day it is a show on its third season, not its thirstiest and on worldwide appeal like the Simpsons

Musicman20

It is an EXTREMELY popular show.

I remember when the show first hit Netflix. I saw a little box describing it and thought 'sounds right up my street'.

INSTANT HIT FOR ME! Perfect blend of adventure, slight 'horror', and nostalgia. Brilliant soundtrack. I had missed the classic ET/Goonies style films and this hit that niche perfectly.

I've not seen the Halloween Horror setup for this. I'd love to go.

A full attraction would be incredible.

Let's not forget Stranger Things Season 3 set a record -

"According to Nielsen (via TheWrap), an average of 12.8 million viewers tuned in for each minute of the show between July 4 and 7 – up an impressive 21% from season two. And 26.4 million unique viewers watched the show during this period, a 17% increase from last season."

Tank Man

Original Poster
It is an EXTREMELY popular show.

I remember when the show first hit Netflix. I saw a little box describing it and thought 'sounds right up my street'.

INSTANT HIT FOR ME! Perfect blend of adventure, slight 'horror', and nostalgia. Brilliant soundtrack. I had missed the classic ET/Goonies style films and this hit that niche perfectly.

I've not seen the Halloween Horror setup for this. I'd love to go.

A full attraction would be incredible.

Let's not forget Stranger Things Season 3 set a record -

"According to Nielsen (via TheWrap), an average of 12.8 million viewers tuned in for each minute of the show between July 4 and 7 – up an impressive 21% from season two. And 26.4 million unique viewers watched the show during this period, a 17% increase from last season."
True I saw those good numbers as well.
I do love the show but I am not super hyped (am now) because watched the 2 seasons when season 2 came out and now in July of 2019, almost two years later I went onto Netflix and saw that season 3 came out and it’s ending excited again.
I do want a attraction in USF or maybe in the 3rd park as if it were to be in Hollywood it would have to replace something, could get into the tram tour but it won’t work in Hollywood as there is not enough space.

righttrack

They should get on getting the rights and doing something regarding this. It's something that captures the imagination and appeals across a very wide age range. An "upside-down" dark ride, something that uses the Dinosaur/Indy system could be fun. This show is a cross between The Goonies and the X Files. c'mon!

Tank Man

Original Poster
They should get on getting the rights and doing something regarding this. It's something that captures the imagination and appeals across a very wide age range. An "upside-down" dark ride, something that uses the Dinosaur/Indy system could be fun. This show is a cross between The Goonies and the X Files. c'mon!
Universal probably is thinking as the HHN maze did well enough. They would need to make their own version but it would be easy to possibly make a better one but they have a lot of possibilities as the other dimension the “Upside Down” would have an amazing atmosphere and cool stuff as it has that scary feel

ppete1975

I can imagine a dark ride no screens that basically takes you through the house then a portal to the upside down being chased by demogods (sorry if I get some names wrong) as you exit you see on the skyline that the mindflare is coming...…
IT could be a glorified version of the lego set.
or......
they could do an indoor coaster...
starts slow as you ride through the neighborhood, see all of the famous landmarks... but you start hearing sounds... you go into the house from episode 1 with the Christmas lights flashing.... then poof lights out and the roller coaster picks up steam and you are in the upside down.... they could
a) make everything upside down giving the impression of you being upside down.. or just have a lot of inversions … im thinking practical sets with either dim lighting on the props or complete darkness with light flashes

Tank Man

Original Poster
Fha
I can imagine a dark ride no screens that basically takes you through the house then a portal to the upside down being chased by demogods (sorry if I get some names wrong) as you exit you see on the skyline that the mindflare is coming...…
IT could be a glorified version of the lego set.
or......
they could do an indoor coaster...
starts slow as you ride through the neighborhood, see all of the famous landmarks... but you start hearing sounds... you go into the house from episode 1 with the Christmas lights flashing.... then poof lights out and the roller coaster picks up steam and you are in the upside down.... they could
a) make everything upside down giving the impression of you being upside down.. or just have a lot of inversions … im thinking practical sets with either dim lighting on the props or complete darkness with light flashes
That could work,
Also you did not mess the names up to much

rd805

I think it's one of the most popular IP out there right now, and will be for atleast another 2-3 years. Is that long enough time frame for an attraction though?

ppete1975

I think it's one of the most popular IP out there right now, and will be for atleast another 2-3 years. Is that long enough time frame for an attraction though?
At universal it seems like it is. Disney no.. but universal seems to build a lot of short lived ips compared to timeless classics. Fast Furious, Shrek, Minions, Fallon,

JT3000

At universal it seems like it is. Disney no.. but universal seems to build a lot of short lived ips compared to timeless classics. Fast Furious, Shrek, Minions, Fallon,

The Fast and the Furious series started in 2001, quite a while ago. So did Shrek, which has already had an attraction for ages. Despicable Me was released in 2010 and that's still going. And Fallon will probably be hosting the Tonight Show for a while, unfortunately. So I don't think any of them are comparable to the typical life span of a popular TV series.

Also, Disney has had attractions based on American Idol, Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Drew Carey, etc.

Last edited:

ppete1975

The Fast and the Furious series started in 2001, quite a while ago. So did Shrek, which has already had an attraction for ages. Despicable Me was released in 2010 and that's still going. And Fallon will probably be hosting the Tonight Show for a while, unfortunately. So I don't think any of them are comparable to the typical life span of a popular TV series.

Also, Disney has had attractions based on American Idol, Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Drew Carey, etc.
To me shrek is already dead, fast and the furious (I am a fan) in 10 years will it be relevant.. it appears on its last legs (as in ideas, not in making movies and making money), will Despicable me have the lasting power of Peter Pan. Yes Disney has had some short life span as well, but Universals Ips in general are not as timeless as Disneys. Harry Potter, classic monsters and Marvel are great IPs that should last for many generations.

This is why Disney has been really smart in creating a mixture of Disney Ip and original characters building a mixture of both throughout their history. Although that seems to have been forgotten recently as most things being built are IP heavy now.

What ID like to see both parks do (easier for Disney) is to get away from real people all together. No Jimmy Fallon, No fast and furious, No Ellen. Narrators are ok but real life people are a danger (guardians being an example of one Disney is currently building of course). In todays culture it takes one ME TOO or one twitter outburst to create unwanted publicity. We all thought Bill Cosby was the all American dad and totally safe, at one time OJ was the all American hero. Donald Duck will never be fired for making homophobic outbursts on Twitter or have me too accusations.

Oh wow I really went on a tangent, sorry about that, I brought that up because you mentioned Drew Carey, America idol and who wants to be a millionaire.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom