deleted

ppete1975

Dol
I just watched a video of Disneyland's 90s Night, and it appears as though it was very popular. With 90s nostalgia becoming a huge thing in pop culture, does anybody think that the current ride (not the 1983 version) could become popular for the young adult crowd? Since it has ties to 90s pop culture such as the "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" movies and also a Flubber cameo, I feel like it has potential to become more popular over the next few years. With no overhaul planned until the mid 2020s, does anybody think it could become something that people who grew up in the 90s or even the early 2000s enjoy and are nostalgic about, potentially causing Disney to keep it around longer and/or bring back HISTA? Personally I would love to see it updated to include Dreamfinder at some point, but if the current version is something that a lot of people start to enjoy, I wouldn't be against it staying for a while, especially if it meant that it would be saved from an IP overhaul. Thoughts?
did you watch justin scarred?

JIMINYCR

Bringing Dreamfinder back would get the interest back and an update surely is needed. Has been a need for a loong while. A combination of the increase in crowd numbers, the FP+ building long lines and making it necessary for guests to jump onto the lesser attractions to just do something... Journey has been getting some numbers up. The bigger problem IMHO is the change in guests desires. Journey isnt flashy, filled with thrills, doesnt have a prominent personality, and is ho hum. Its become a filler for time. It needs a lot to bring it back to have real guest draw and popularity.

Cmdr_Crimson

The problem about the "90's" version of JIYI (1999) was.......There Was No Figment....
imagination-you-lack-it.jpg

I think it would be best to appeal Figment to the Younger crowds by making a new Disney Junior Series called "Figment's Dreamfinder's" Using the name of the cancelled series that was to happen in the early 80's. As Figment shares his adventures in Figonia with the other Sparks of Imagination to enlighten the World......Okay Disney if you read this...Let's go...
giphy.gif

ppete1975

Bringing Dreamfinder back would get the interest back and an update surely is needed. Has been a need for a loong while. A combination of the increase in crowd numbers, the FP+ building long lines and making it necessary for guests to jump onto the lesser attractions to just do something... Journey has been getting some numbers up. The bigger problem IMHO is the change in guests desires. Journey isnt flashy, filled with thrills, doesnt have a prominent personality, and is ho hum. Its become a filler for time. It needs a lot to bring it back to have real guest draw and popularity.
I agree, I think they could do a small revamp and really spike the numbers up until its time to redo it entirely. Look how they surprised us with the three cabelleros animatronic in the mexico ride. Imagine if they added dream finder and figment to one scene, redid some of figments audio and script. So no ride change, no huge set changes but now you just made people have to ride it. Maybe dreamfinder at the end is like, figment have you been picking on DR whats his name. And figment is like yes, sometimes my imagination gets away from me. Old song starts being sung by figment and dreamfinder.
Please note I haven't ridden it in forever (I live in Oklahoma) so I don't remember the current layout

eliza61nyc

So the problem with nostalgia is that much of it is based on "experience" and a persons recollection. I never experienced figment or dreamfinder when I was young so I watch the videos and really can't understand the hype. As @JIMINYCR mentioned whether we like it or not times and taste have changed. It also depends on other things, who would be the primary demographics of the ride? little toddlers to 7 year olds may like it. can't imagine kid older than that being interested. So without a total reboot and upgrade I would probably say no.

13*Minute*Wait

... It also depends on other things, who would be the primary demographics of the ride? little toddlers to 7 year olds may like it. can't imagine kid older than that being interested...

My little girl is 7, and loves this ride. She's been riding it for 3 years now. Myself on the other hand, I can't stand this ride. Completely wastes a decent concept. Seems incredibly lazy from imagineering that THIS is the best they could come with.

JIMINYCR

My little girl is 7, and loves this ride. She's been riding it for 3 years now. Myself on the other hand, I can't stand this ride. Completely wastes a decent concept. Seems incredibly lazy from imagineering that THIS is the best they could come with.
I wouldnt label it laziness from the Imagineers. If you were to look at the attractions that were built in the past, and some that still exist, Journey fits in with the type/ style/ systems that were being offered to guests at the time. When you make a comparison to whats being done now and what advancement technology brings, it stands out as being substandard & dramatically different. I still kind of enjoy it, but its in need of help.

Goofyernmost

So the problem with nostalgia is that much of it is based on "experience" and a persons recollection. I never experienced figment or dreamfinder when I was young so I watch the videos and really can't understand the hype. As @JIMINYCR mentioned whether we like it or not times and taste have changed. It also depends on other things, who would be the primary demographics of the ride? little toddlers to 7 year olds may like it. can't imagine kid older than that being interested. So without a total reboot and upgrade I would probably say no.
That is so true. I saw the original many times and it had a great, jaw dropping beginning. That circle around with The Dreamfinder and Figment was spectacular. I rode it strictly to see that part over and over. The entertainment value was immense for that precious few minutes as we rotated around, listen to the song and, for myself, marveled at the shear mechanics of the ride. Wanna talk about something that wasn't seen anywhere else, the best place to see that was Journeys into Imagination. But, if I'm to be honest, the rest of it was quite boring. The spectacular part was shown much to soon, in my opinion.

Like you said, if you were able to see it back in early 1983 and a few years after then that is what everyone is missing. All the millions of people at this point that never got to see it possibly because they weren't even a twinkle in their parents eyes yet, are not going to be drawn in under the heading of nostalgia. Even my grandchildren didn't start to appear on the planet until after 2000. By then the vast group of attractions in Epcot had been closed or changed. In 2008 when we had a family trip my 6 year old granddaughter was not impressed by anything other then Test Track. That she wanted to ride again and again. My grown children saw it at an early age. Their memories are that it was cool, but, when asked to give some detail, they could not do it. They are in there 40's now.

Disney isn't likely to build or rebuild anything for the generation that is about to shuffle off this mortal coil. When those attractions disappeared all that was remembered were the small parts that we now remember. Under those circumstances the entire thing was 100% spectacular. It wasn't. It was really good, but, when compared to today's technology falls mighty short. Today's audience will find their own high points that will be just as impressive for them as we were impressed by what was offered in the past.

Last edited:

Worldlover71

There are people who are nostalgic for the BAH at the studios or the wand on SE because that is what was there when they first saw them. That doesn't mean we should go back to them. Keep moving forward! (and all of this is from someone who remembers and loved the original Imagination.)

NickMaio

I just watched a video of Disneyland's 90s Night, and it appears as though it was very popular. With 90s nostalgia becoming a huge thing in pop culture, does anybody think that the current ride (not the 1983 version) could become popular for the young adult crowd? Since it has ties to 90s pop culture such as the "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" movies and also a Flubber cameo, I feel like it has potential to become more popular over the next few years. With no overhaul planned until the mid 2020s, does anybody think it could become something that people who grew up in the 90s or even the early 2000s enjoy and are nostalgic about, potentially causing Disney to keep it around longer and/or bring back HISTA? Personally I would love to see it updated to include Dreamfinder at some point, but if the current version is something that a lot of people start to enjoy, I wouldn't be against it staying for a while, especially if it meant that it would be saved from an IP overhaul. Thoughts?
How bout no.....bo way.
That ride is one of the biggest stinkers around.....almost as bad as celebrity limo......almost.

NickMaio

I agree, I think they could do a small revamp and really spike the numbers up until its time to redo it entirely. Look how they surprised us with the three cabelleros animatronic in the mexico ride. Imagine if they added dream finder and figment to one scene, redid some of figments audio and script. So no ride change, no huge set changes but now you just made people have to ride it. Maybe dreamfinder at the end is like, figment have you been picking on DR whats his name. And figment is like yes, sometimes my imagination gets away from me. Old song starts being sung by figment and dreamfinder.
Please note I haven't ridden it in forever (I live in Oklahoma) so I don't remember the current layout
It would not make sense to add the dreamfinder.....the ride needs a total knock down. New everything.

Cmdr_Crimson

The problem with that is its way on the back burner, 2023 at the earliest. Why not do something to boost ridership and make it even temporarily a must ride until then. Right now its a walk on, in a park that needs rides.
A walk on? Even during January there are times on the weekend when there is a good 20 min wait with guests waiting in the extended queue area..

NickMaio

The problem with that is its way on the back burner, 2023 at the earliest. Why not do something to boost ridership and make it even temporarily a must ride until then. Right now its a walk on, in a park that needs rides.
Good luck doing something small to boost ridership.
Journey is such a waste of space. It appeals to on one.
Such a shame.....the original was amazing. True epcot spirit.

Just gut it......plain and simple.
Even the dream finder can't save this ride😰

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom