Cost Estimate For All These Projects?

Merlin0402

Original Poster
This has to be the most money the company has spent at one time on WDW since the 90s. I'm not a pro when it comes to cost estimates but how much do you guys think they are investing here? My uneducated guess would be around $2-$3 billion? Maybe more? Anyone have more info on the exact price tag we're looking at?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This has to be the most money the company has spent at one time on WDW since the 90s. I'm not a pro when it comes to cost estimates but how much do you guys think they are investing here? My uneducated guess would be around $2-$3 billion? Maybe more? Anyone have more info on the exact price tag we're looking at?
It really isn't at one time though. These projects represent new additions through to 2021. That is a good number of years to spread the cost.

CaptainAmerica

Three new cruise ships are going to be well over $1 billion each.

Merlin0402

Original Poster
It really isn't at one time though. These projects represent new additions through to 2021. That is a good number of years to spread the cost.

Do you have any more info on how much some of the individual projects are going to run? I would think the gondola system alone has to be pretty expensive...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Do you have any more info on how much some of the individual projects are going to run? I would think the gondola system alone has to be pretty expensive...
Gondolas are relatively inexpensive, hence their appeal.

The E Tickets are likely to be in the $200million bracket.
So yeah, its a significant spend, but obviously very much needed. And hopefully more to come that is yet unannounced.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
4370544.jpg

dm11

It also depends on what we are counting as "all of this". As a previous poster said, I would not count new ship(s) - that's not part of WDW. And SW:GE is a project on its own that started some time ago on a separate budget and the same applies to TSL - those are not new spends. I would also not count the 2 hotels - those are investments that are supposed to pay for themselves directly, and not fully adding to WDW parks (although they are technically part of WDW).

My guess is that Tron and GotG will be the most expensive, followed by Rat and MaMRR. But how much are those 4? I'll just take a SWAG and say $800 million total but I honestly have no idea. Maybe goes up to 1B if/when they add all the rest of Tomorrowland updates around Tron?

I would think MK Theater and EP Space Restaurant are comparatively cheap, but again, I don't really know. Gondola, Mission:Space updates and China film updates should be cheap (well, in relative terms compared to the rest of it). So maybe another $250-$300 million for the rest?

ParentsOf4

Overall probably somewhere in the 2.5-3.5 billion region maybe even a bit north of that through 2021 if I had to guess. Also I feel like that # had been thrown around before.
By 2021, all additions and updates (including those previously announced) should just about cover the amount I've estimated Disney has underinvested in WDW since 2001, roughly $3B. :)

This is good, it gets WDW investment back in line where it should be.

clemmo

By 2021, all additions and updates (including those previously announced) should just about cover the amount I've estimated Disney has underinvested in WDW since 2001, roughly $3B. :)

This is good, it gets WDW investment back in line where it should be.
Agreed and from the sounds of it they seem to have a lot planned beyond the 50th. It's about time the floodgates have reopened

ParentsOf4

The below provides some historical perspective on Disney spending approximately $3B over 5 years ($600M per year).

Disney Theme Park Growth Capex.jpg

From 1971 to 2001, the annual average domestic Parks & Resorts investment was $665M in inflation-adjusted dollars.

Excluding two cruise ships, the average has been about $200M in inflation-adjusted dollars since 2002.

A jump from $200M to $600M represents an appreciable investment in WDW and DLR, close to Disney's historical average prior to 2002.

In the first half of fiscal 2017, Disney spent $443M in growth capex. That includes the cash to finish Pandora plus all the work going on at DLR, DHS, CSR, and CBR.

Starting with the opening of Pandora earlier this year, the next 5 years represent the most exciting time for WDW fans since the opening of DAK in 1998. For those of you too young to remember, this should give you a sense of the excitement surrounding WDW in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom