Coronavirus impact on DVC

correcaminos

The points chart. Price-per-point is comparable but points-per-night is not close. My general benchmark (excluding Aulani) is that I should be able to do 8 nights in a Studio during Magic Season for under 160.

We would plan to use points there regularly.
Eh maybe then? Be sure the restrictions are ones you can live with for while

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
The points chart. Price-per-point is comparable but points-per-night is not close. My general benchmark (excluding Aulani) is that I should be able to do 8 nights in a Studio during Magic Season for under 160.

We would plan to use points there regularly.
I say go for it. If this pandemic has taught us anything it’s that we need to take advantage of opportunities when they come up and live life to the fullest.

One thing I would consider if you are planning to use the timeshare mostly in Hawaii is to look at Marriott and Hilton too. They both have resorts on all 4 of the main islands in Hawaii if you want more variety when visiting. Aulani looks amazing (never been there but may be doing it in 2022 if I actually manage to get my WDW trip in next year) but I was less of a fan of Oahu overall vs the other islands (don’t get me wrong, it’s still amazing). Pearl Harbor is a must do and seeing the big waves on the North shore but I could personally live without Waikiki. Too urban for me. It’s why I love the location of Aulani since its close to a lot of stuff but not in the urban part of the city. If you plan to use it at WDW too then Aulani for sure. The off property resorts in Orlando are very nice (stayed at the Hilton by Sea World several times) but not as good as DVC.

All just my personal preferences.

ToTBellHop

This borrowing rule makes no sense to me. The DVC units in many hotels are running at less than 90% capacity. Kidani is only at 75% capacity right now, for DVC. WHY NOT LET PEOPLE BORROW POINTS, if they are willing to use them in the next few months, and use up some of that excess capacity AND remove those points from the 'future pool' where too many points will be chasing too few reservations.
They should suspend the 50% borrowing limit for stays within the next 60 days or so—give people the chance to book a room with current points but when it becomes clear that rooms are still available, let members borrow to grab a room. Turning people away while rooms are empty is stupid.

nickys

Premium Member
They should suspend the 50% borrowing limit for stays within the next 60 days or so—give people the chance to book a room with current points but when it becomes clear that rooms are still available, let members borrow to grab a room. Turning people away while rooms are empty is stupid.
But the people who are only going to get their “developer” points on Sept 1st or Oct 1st and have to use them by November will then have a very limited choice, especially since DIsney can take any of those rooms anyway in the next 60 days. And then ther’s also the issue of people modifying it to a later date and keeping those points. No way to stop that without a lot of effort. 🤷‍♀️

Scubacat

This borrowing rule makes no sense to me. The DVC units in many hotels are running at less than 90% capacity. Kidani is only at 75% capacity right now, for DVC. WHY NOT LET PEOPLE BORROW POINTS, if they are willing to use them in the next few months, and use up some of that excess capacity AND remove those points from the 'future pool' where too many points will be chasing too few reservations.
Agree. Borrow 100% of points if used in calendar 2020 makes a lot of sense.
I doubt the current availability is due to people not having enough points. It's mainly people afraid to travel and electing to push trips later into 2021 which is furthering the problem of having too many points in the system, hence the borrowing restriction. Heck, the people who had 2018 banked points extended only have until the end of November to use them anyway.

The thing is, people not booking the rooms right now makes it less likely the borrowing restriction will be lifted soon. The issue is too many points in the system in the 2021 use years. People hanging onto their points right now is exacerbating that problem. While it's not technically DVD's problem, they have to at least balance out demand for all the points they granted exceptions on during the shutdown. I don't know what the break-even point is, but obviously they don't want a whole bunch of members losing points in 2021 due to this.

As a side note, lifting the borrowing restriction only for bookings in the next 60 days creates a loophole where people could borrow the points, book a currently open villa >30 days out, and then cancel that. Then they'd have successfully borrowed the points and could subsequently make a later booking with them. It would take another process to reverse the result of those circumstances.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom