Coronavirus impact on DVC

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
In a similar vein, I recently canceled a end of June booking, less than 30 days before check in . Nowhere could I find any information as to if my points would go into restricted status. We knew we had to cancel, so I when ahead an did so. On the very last screen where you actually confirm your cancellation was the message that during this time, reservations canceled with less than 30 days lead time would not go into restricted status, but would go into normal status.

I tried calling before canceling, but I never got anything other than a busy signal.
It took me several days of calling before getting past the busy signal. I didn’t want to cancel online because I thought I might need to ”negotiate” something. Turned out they did exactly what I would have asked for so maybe wasted 35 mins on hold but all good in the end.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I officially cancelled my August trip today :( 35 mins on hold (not bad). I had banked 53 points from 2019 into 2020, used 160 2020 points and borrowed 160 2021 points to book the trip. My plan is to reschedule for next August so my primary concern was getting my 2021 points returned to the 2021 use year. After talking to member services they cancelled the reservation and right now all 373 points are sitting in my 2020 use year. The DVC operator said the 2021 points will automatically be returned to the 2021 use year on any cancellations but it will take several weeks to happen, I have until Oct 31 to bank my 2020 points into 2021 and that I have until March 1 to use the 53 points from 2019 (so no extension of March use year points). I was worried about the 2021 points and confirmed multiple times while on the phone that they would go back to 2021 use year which I believe is an exception to normal process when cancelling a reservation using borrowed points.
Just to update anyone who cares. My points got ”unborrowed” today :). So it only took 2 days and there was an issue where they randomly left 10 points in 2020 use year. I was able to use the chat function online and get that fixed on the spot. The guy just had to get a supervisor to do it. Took about 5 mins.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Unless our "point theft" issue gets resolved by Disney? We will dump 300 points at BRV, at $1.00 per point. Betting Disney will love this :).

Now, understand.... those points already hit "break even". We are just not going to continue paying dues, at a place that is no longer a vacation. Paying through 2021 (maybe).... but if the situation stays like this? Nope - out.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Unless our "point theft" issue gets resolved by Disney? We will dump 300 points at BRV, at $1.00 per point. Betting Disney will love this :).

Now, understand.... those points already hit "break even". We are just not going to continue paying dues, at a place that is no longer a vacation. Paying through 2021 (maybe).... but if the situation stays like this? Nope - out.
If you are serious about unloading your points for a tiny fraction of their market value, I volunteer to be the recipient. PM me if you are.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

All that will happen is Disney will exercise their ROFR, buy them for $1/point, and turn around and sell them to someone else at full price. They’ll love you.

CastAStone

Premium Member
All that will happen is Disney will exercise their ROFR, buy them for $1/point, and turn around and sell them to someone else at full price. They’ll love you.
According to the ROFR threads on Disboards and the other DVC message board as well as DVC Resale Market’s blog, Disney hasn’t exercised ROFR since they closed the parks. TBD when that starts back up. They’ve passed on OKW at $75, BCV at $118, BWV at $108, Poly at $120, SSR at $76, and VGC at $165.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
According to the ROFR threads on Disboards and the other DVC message board as well as DVC Resale Market’s blog, Disney hasn’t exercised ROFR since they closed the parks. TBD when that starts back up. They’ve passed on OKW at $75, BCV at $118, BWV at $108, Poly at $120, SSR at $76, and VGC at $165.
Disney will never let the resale market get to the point of allowing someone to sell their points for $1. Never. I’d like to know where those numbers come from, as I’ve been checking a lot recently, and have never seen prices that low. For now, they’re probably ok with those prices, as they really aren’t that far out of line.

CastAStone

Premium Member

CastAStone

Premium Member
Disney will never let the resale market get to the point of allowing someone to sell their points for $1. Never. I’d like to know where those numbers come from, as I’ve been checking a lot recently, and have never seen prices that low. For now, they’re probably ok with those prices, as they really aren’t that far out of line.
PS I’m inclined to agree but I am willing to be the test subject if someone really wants to make an angry statement.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No need to apologize to me!
I was just letting you know that claims that seem to be to good to be true on that site, are almost surely lies. I just checked multiple resale sites, and saw nothing like those prices. We’ve been looking for a BWV for awhile, and have never seen a contract that low. Most are running at $119 minimum, and that’s for a larger contract than we want.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

You have a GREAT point.... no point in us losing out on about $28K, just to make a point (no pun intended) :).

So we're modifying the plan. Joining David's, and becoming a source for Rentals. Until we understand what WDW IS, these days? Renting points OUT makes us cash, and causes all sorts of problems for overpriced DVC hotels :). Two ways to win :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom