Coronavirus impact on DVC

Hcalvert

But she's not Disney. I guess I don't get why one renter would sour you on Disney.
Oh sorry. I misunderstood your why. We were planning on taking a break before all of this occurred. We were actually planning a 6 week European 2021 trip to visit family and friends. That may or may not happen now.

correcaminos

Oh sorry. I misunderstood your why. We were planning on taking a break before all of this occurred. We were actually planning a 6 week European 2021 trip to visit family and friends. That may or may not happen now.
Ah gotcha! Makes sense. I read it as this one thing caused it all lol

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
This just out:
20200317_120145.jpg

EOD K9

Downside to this was that my points were indeed transferred back into my account. However, those were banked from 2018 and I will still lose them. I do understand that we cannot roll them over twice, but this was something that nobody was expecting.

Hcalvert

Downside to this was that my points were indeed transferred back into my account. However, those were banked from 2018 and I will still lose them. I do understand that we cannot roll them over twice, but this was something that nobody was expecting.
Are they making any exceptions for anyone--like extending expirations, etc.?

cindy_k

So if I borrowed points and the points get put back in my account I have to use them before the end of my use year or I lose them?

I have a trip currently booked for mid April. Haven't cancelled yet, I was waiting a bit to let those with immediately cancelled trips to get their stuff squared away.

correcaminos

So if I borrowed points and the points get put back in my account I have to use them before the end of my use year or I lose them?

I have a trip currently booked for mid April. Haven't cancelled yet, I was waiting a bit to let those with immediately cancelled trips to get their stuff squared away.

Unfortunately right now yes. Some of us were lucky when we canceled quickly. I got my borrowed 2020 points put back. Of course now I just have to use them *sigh*

Mid April would be iffy to me right now. I am not sure they are even doing anything for those with those dates yet too.

correcaminos

It looks like DVC updated its policy today (the update is dated March 19) to state that if a reservation is canceled, borrowed points will be returned to the use year from which they were borrowed.
Yep, they updated it on the 18th. Still no double banking though.

Here is the current wording

Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

To make the process of changing reservations as smooth as possible, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your Points back as Vacation Points or Reservation Points without placing them into holding. In the meantime, all Points banking rules remain in place. While we understand the banking policy might create some frustration, please realize that this rule is in place to ensure that the Membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints. Borrowed Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in holding and will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/travel-information/

MagicRat

I posted this on another thread but when talking with member services this morning about a glitch when using the modifying an existing reservation for Aulani to another DVC resort (you can’t by the way at Aulani or Grand Californian. So why allow you to take the steps to try?)

She informed me that about the points situation and how a person had a canceled trip with points that were to expire and they are losing 4000 points. Sorry Disney I understand how a timeshare is run but this is a catastrophic event. Out of curiosity what would happen say another catastrophic event wiped away Disney? Where would the points go then?

Club Cooloholic

I posted this on another thread but when talking with member services this morning about a glitch when using the modifying an existing reservation for Aulani to another DVC resort (you can’t by the way at Aulani or Grand Californian. So why allow you to take the steps to try?)

She informed me that about the points situation and how a person had a canceled trip with points that were to expire and they are losing 4000 points. Sorry Disney I understand how a timeshare is run but this is a catastrophic event. Out of curiosity what would happen say another catastrophic event wiped away Disney? Where would the points go then?
This is a very tricky situation, but none that has a answer that will make everyone happy. The points cant just be loaded into other years, because the whole way the system works is that there is a limited amount of points.
Think of it this way, if you owned a week at another timeshare there is no way to create more weeks next year to get you back ones that were lost.
The only "fair" thing I can see them doing is putting points back in their proper years(and advanced borrowed go back to next year) and the ones that were at expiration with no time left to reschedule, the company should try to repay dues paid on those points, if that is even legally possible, which I have no idea of it is.

eliza61nyc

Does anyone have a set date they feel is safe to book a trip? Is it Mid may and beyond. Late June... August?

I have a trip planned in late August and I am still very concerned. I've heard (now they are all rumors but...) that even when they open a lot of stuff will be scaled back. no parades, shorter hours etc.

So I'm definitely not buying any passes or airplane tickets until as late as possible.

Rob562

This is a very tricky situation, but none that has a answer that will make everyone happy. The points cant just be loaded into other years, because the whole way the system works is that there is a limited amount of points.
Think of it this way, if you owned a week at another timeshare there is no way to create more weeks next year to get you back ones that were lost.
The only "fair" thing I can see them doing is putting points back in their proper years(and advanced borrowed go back to next year) and the ones that were at expiration with no time left to reschedule, the company should try to repay dues paid on those points, if that is even legally possible, which I have no idea of it is.

Long-term closure was definitely not something planned on when the master deeds were set up. I don't know timeshare or property laws, but I wonder if there's a way to file with the state to extend the end-date of all contracts by a set amount, thereby opening the inventory up in the system to make those points usable again.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom