Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Useless without sealed eye protection as well as knowing that micro-droplets coming from the mouth/nose infected person haven't landed on your face, hair, arms or hands.

That's a major reason why face masks are useless unless you already are infected. They serve to keep those micro-droplets from spraying outward. They do next to nothing in keeping you healthy.
And you are dead right. Surgical FACE MASKS are pretty useless. One needs a proper RESPIRATOR, rated N95 or better :). Something like this (3M makes very good units):

Sadly, if one tries to find N95 masks today? Nope - all sold out, out of stock :(. The few that are available are now in the "price gouging" category - mostly on EBAY :(.

Truly, all of this is risk mitigation - not risk prevention. Risk prevention is "stay home", have groceries delivered, and spray 'em down with bleach (joke - you don't want to ingest bleach) :).

Last edited:

Benjamin_Nicholas

And you are dead right. Surgical FACE MASKS are pretty useless. One needs a proper RESPIRATOR, rated N95 or better :). Something like this (3M makes very good units):

Sadly, if one tries to find N95 masks today? Nope - all sold out, out of stock :(. The few that are available are now in the "price gouging" category - mostly on EBAY :(.

Truly, all of this is risk mitigation - not risk prevention. Risk prevention is "stay home", have groceries delivered, and spray 'em down with bleach (joke - you don't want to ingest bleach) :).

It's not just about having an N95. To properly protect yourself, you'd also need airtight eyewear. The eyes are a HUGE way to pick up airborne pathogens.

Now... If you're already sick, find and wear a mask. That's actually helpful.

ppete1975

It's probably a heavy dose of anxiety on my part, you're right.
I didn’t see where you have a trip paid for/planned. Ill prob get flamed but why not do a staycation snd go later/next year. As someone who has suffered woth anxiety, why not relax and not add to your stress levels during this time (and save tons of money). I also believe this might explode soon. Anyhoo enjoy whatever you choose, just giving you a different maybe more enjoyable path.

thecouch

A case in califorina of person that hasn't travelled overseas or been in contact with anyone that is known to have it usa. I think a outbreak in califorina is about to happen and how would they stop it from spreading if the people don't know how they got it

Lilofan

The story doesn't say Disney is paying the Cast Members but I believe they should. Also if Disney is providing the food that is delivered for free and paying for medical checks, everyone should congratulate Disney for doing what every company should do.
That's wishful thinking. These cast are probably paid by the hour so, no..

durangojim

Not being a sky is falling type of guy here (I'm a family doc so I try to be reasonable and measured) but it looks fairly likely that the US will be affected by this new virus within the next couple of months. I hoping for a fall off in spring but not counting on it. Just wondering how people think this will affect the parks. My wife and I are signed up for the SW run in April and I'm really hoping we'll still be able to go.

KBLovedDisney

Not being a sky is falling type of guy here (I'm a family doc so I try to be reasonable and measured) but it looks fairly likely that the US will be affected by this new virus within the next couple of months. I hoping for a fall off in spring but not counting on it. Just wondering how people think this will affect the parks. My wife and I are signed up for the SW run in April and I'm really hoping we'll still be able to go.
My guess is the parks will be affected like during Hurricane season, but since this is a contagion, it might be worse.

Honestly though, who know.s

jloucks

No, I would absolutely not be headed to a world destination in an outbreak. WDW is a nice hotbed for spreading cooties.

Come to think of it, I go anywhere overseas and I immediately get somehow sick after about 5 days. I don't mix well with germs im not used to.

KBLovedDisney

No, I would absolutely not be headed to a world destination in an outbreak. WDW is a nice hotbed for spreading cooties.

Come to think of it, I go anywhere overseas and I immediately get somehow sick after about 5 days. I don't mix well with germs im not used to.
Got Mono one time from a Disney trip, got the flu first day into another Disney trip.

It's just a cesspool of germs. Eh, what can you do really? I mean you get sick, stay indoors, in bed. Rest. Drink plenty of fluids. Medicate as necessary.

Kamikaze

When they cancel international travel to/from the US, then its time to really worry.

durangojim

My guess is the parks will be affected like during Hurricane season, but since this is a contagion, it might be worse.

Honestly though, who know.s
Do you mean with intermittent closures? I'm thinking if they close the parks, they're going to closed for an extended duration, not an intermittent one. I also wonder how this will affect attendance. On the bright side it may be easier to get boarding passes for ROTR.

KBLovedDisney

Do you mean with intermittent closures? I'm thinking if they close the parks, they're going to closed for an extended duration, not an intermittent one. I also wonder how this will affect attendance. On the bright side it may be easier to get boarding passes for ROTR.
That would be my thought. But if this is severe, than they may take drastic measures like they did in China.

I don't think the entirety of Disney World has been closed since 9-11 (if it did close during that time, I just remember hearing the crowds were extremely minimal)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I think crowds will be greatly reduced, especially when the CDC and FEMA start closing airports, train stations and bus depots, and set up checkpoints on major highways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom