Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

Are you seriously saying that losing your job - with the opportunity to have unemployment paid, plus an extra $600/week payment, plus a $1200 payout, plus access to food banks for food, etc, plus waivers for any debt you carry is comparable to having to go to WAR, particularly Vietnam? That is one of the most stomach turning things i've ever heard.

There are a TON of places hiring still - they just are "below" what most want to do. Even in a bad market, there are jobs available.

But a "massive sacrifice" this is not.

And people like you acting like all these people have it as good, if not better because of unemployment is making my stomach churn as well.

imsosarah

Ugh I hope you're right and the government figures out some way to help those most affected.... And yeah...I hate the whole 'ya'll whippersnappers should have prepared better/saved better etc. What's the saying? Ok boomer? That mentality is so dismissive when they don't shoulder the debt and economy that we do. We were told college was the goal and if we didn't go to college we'd amount to nothing. My own mother took out my school loans and I never even signed for them. She did. Now I'm stuck with school loans that I can't pay. If an 18 year old can't even buy alcohol they shouldn't be able to make financial decisions that can impact the rest of their lives.

If you haven't already - get your student loans on hold. There is no interest and payments on federal loans... not a huge help, but better than nothing.

imsosarah

Personal opinion? Don't let the other half in. Masking really should be about protecting OTHERS - not so much yourself.

We'll be far better off when the US starts to seriously worry about "the other guy". Just as we did in WWII.
My apologies if my personal opinion offends anyone.... we mask in public (and RARELY go out now). But it's mostly to insure that, in some unknown fashion, WE don't cause a problem for some Mom of Four :(.

YES!!!! (and it does provide some protection for you...)

Jwink

Are you seriously saying that losing your job - with the opportunity to have unemployment paid, plus an extra $600/week payment, plus a $1200 payout, plus access to food banks for food, etc, plus waivers for any debt you carry is comparable to having to go to WAR, particularly Vietnam? That is one of the most stomach turning things i've ever heard.

There are a TON of places hiring still - they just are "below" what most want to do. Even in a bad market, there are jobs available.

But a "massive sacrifice" this is not.
I’ll tell you something right now. Nothing is below my husband. He offered to his Disney manager that he’d sweep and clean toilets if he could keep his job. NOBODY IS HIRING DESPITE RUMORS. My husband has applied for 13 jobs in the last 9 days. You name it he’s applied.

and the stimulus isn’t out yet neither are the unemployment benefits. Florida’s unemployment system is broken and most people are denied even now. He’s been rejected from a handful of the jobs already citing ‘we have many more applicants than we do jobs’....

I have dietary allergies as do both my kids so food pantries aren’t good fits for us....

And what waiver for debt are you talking about? I’ve seen 3 months deferments but 3 months isn’t going to cut it realistically. What happens after all this ‘help’ runs out in 4 months... and people still need help?

SpiteriFam

As any vet who has been sent off some where to fight will tell you god how I longed to be home-- no chance of that until your tour was up. Being confined to my house for however long is a cake walk compared to my 1 year tour in Vietnam. I have little sympathy for those complaining about being requested to stay at home for the duration of this. my last 2 cents on the subject
This should seriously put things into context for people. Yes, we are all being asked to make sacrifices, but they’re nothing like the sacrifices previous generations have had to make. In all honesty, I’m grateful that my “sacrifice” is to stay home with the family spending time together.

Jwink

There is a lot of that money that isn't going to people. it was not done correctly - should have gone to every adult over 18. Period.
Absolutely. The loop holes and inconsistencies are awful. Like my husband lost employment from 2 incomes... but the unemployment only will cover one 🤷🏻‍♀️

orlandogal22

If you haven't already - get your student loans on hold. There is no interest and payments on federal loans... not a huge help, but better than nothing.

They still auto-deducted my FedLoan payment two days ago from my loans taken for my M.S. degree. As I'm still working on paying interest, they stated it'd be applied toward my principal; in that, they suspended payment on interest.

So I think it depends on one's individual situation, payment program, etc. ???

imsosarah

And people like you acting like all these people have it as good, if not better because of unemployment is making my stomach churn as well.

I never once said that. I lost 90% of my income as well and it isn't an ideal situation. But I have the respect for those that sacrifice their life for our country is not the same when we have many options for help and support. There are also TONS of places trying to hire and no one will work at them.

$3000/month is a good amount - up to $6,000/month if both people are out of work. This is a much larger amount that the average family gets when they lose a job - which is often under $500/month.

I NEVER implied they were living it up, but there are a lot of resources now that didn't exist a year ago to help bridge this gap.

imsosarah

They still auto-deducted my FedLoan payment two days ago from my loans taken for my M.S. degree. As I'm still working on paying interest, they stated it'd be applied toward my principal; in that, they suspended payment on interest.

So I think it depends on one's individual situation, payment program, etc. ???

You have to apply for the payment hold - forbearance? I think it was called.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
30% is still higher than anything we've ever had. How long will the roles that are being hired on for now continue? They're happening because of unprecedented spikes in demand. How long is that going to last? How long before people realize 'Welp, I can't buy anymore food because of storage/cost/etc.' and those jobs are dropped because the demand has died off? In four months, if the additional $600/week is no longer offered, how long until people are sacrificing everything they have and thus not buying on Amazon/Grocery Stores/etc.? Those jobs have been created through unique circumstances and are far from guaranteed to still be here six months from now. In addition, those are low-wage jobs. What happens when you have those making north of $100K start losing their jobs? I promise you, those $13/hr jobs will fall off AND employers don't want high-earners working low-wage jobs because they fear them leaving at the drop of a hat for a better job that pays them closer to what they were making before.
The jobs will be gone when people go back to eating in restaurants and shopping at malls. They are temporary because of the shut down of other businesses. As those jobs roll off the jobs they replaced will start coming back.

30% is unprecedented but the 1/3 is jobs at risk not guaranteed to be gone. It’s also completely unk at this time if the furloughed workers will come back. 30% unemployment is bad but if half those jobs come back in a few months and some more in 6 months that’s much different than the Great Depression where high unemployment was sustained for years. Some businesses will go under. Others will survive. How fast we recover and how deep the recession is really depends on how things progress with coming out of the lock downs. Move too fast and we face a setback and a potential larger economic impact. Move too slow and more and more businesses will be permanently harmed. We will come out of this economically, eventually.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I "help" plenty, thanks - after the $2T bailout that was rammed through - no mas, no mas.

Then leave now... and start up your own sovereign entity somewhere because there are going to be multiple stimulus bills to come.

There is zero... zero... chance the government rolls up and says "nope..done... you all just need to work it out" while the country goes through 20+% unemployment and a GDP drop like this.

durangojim

So much of this is all about WHAT a "mask" is. A simple bandanna, tied "field style" probably won't protect the wearer all that much....
But OH! What it does for OTHERS? That rogue cough or sneeze, that you can't quite catch, will NOT travel at high velocity, up to 27 feet.
That dirt-cheap chunk of cotton over ones face will absolutely not "save" the wearer. It may do a LOT to save others.

So there is the deal - unless we all want to wear NBC Gas Masks (oh, the "B" is Biological).... I propose a shift. Everyone protecting everyone ELSE :).
Exactly. It’s just about being thoughtful.

SpiteriFam

Same here. My mom is a narcissist (I said that above) and constantly gaslights me among other things. If we moved in...omg...it would get bad fast. She'd be trying to parent my kids-inject her opinion etc. Right now she says 'I'm not seeing anyone because I can't die'..... yet the other day she was arguing with me and said 'cheer up maybe i'll get the virus and die then you'll be happy'. (eye roll). She just recently came in to some money from the sale of my grandmother's house after she passed and hasn't worked in about 5 months because she doesn't 'need' to...(ps it wasn't a life changing amount...like 160k?) and instead of being frugal and renting or buying a nice condo she decided to buy a house? She didn't need a 3 bedroom house? and she is BLOWING through the money---back in august when she came in to the money she offered to pay off our credit card debt and we'd pay her back so we wouldn't have to continue paying interest. Well....we are still waiting for that help. She keeps coming up with excuses. Now, I'm not entitled-it's HER money but SHE offered the help....we didn't ask. So now we are just twiddling our thumbs. But I'm most annoyed because she hasn't worked in MONTHS...right? because she didn't 'need to'....well now that she heard about the stimulus package and the extra $600 all the sudden she's 'worried' and has to file for unemployment. She hasn't been working? But my husband works 70 hours a week and we get to come up short. yay.
She sounds fun!

thecouch

Australia government has been pretty good for a Conservative government. They double unemployment wage, took out the waiting period and need to apply for certain amount of jobs plus put the income a spouse could earn up before payment cut off. The big popular one this week has been the job keeper payment were the government is giving employers $1500 a fortnight (US$900) to give to employee for 6 months if they keep staff on the books if they have lost over 30% revenue or over 50% with billion dollar turn over. So pub and restaurant staff, retail type workers will get this payment through there work hoping to be able to open up with same staff or even businesses that are still open but have lost revenue. A place like disney world if they coukd prove 50% drop would have been able to get the payment for each staff. My wife works part time and earns 900 fortnight but she will get the full 1500 before tax. The government is also paying 100% child care for 6 months for people who are still working.a lot of other business handouts to. I don't like my government party but they have done pretty well so far with coronavirus

Last edited:

Lilofan

Absolutely. The loop holes and inconsistencies are awful. Like my husband lost employment from 2 incomes... but the unemployment only will cover one 🤷🏻‍♀️
So what you're saying is that if your husband works 2 Full time jobs 80-90 hours a week , you feel he is entitled to 2 unemployment checks weekly? Not in this modern time. It doesn't work that way.

I’ll tell you something right now. Nothing is below my husband. He offered to his Disney manager that he’d sweep and clean toilets if he could keep his job. NOBODY IS HIRING DESPITE RUMORS. My husband has applied for 13 jobs in the last 9 days. You name it he’s applied.
This is wrong, Walmart is absolutely hiring. I applied and am most likely going to be getting a job within the next couple days. Some pizza places are still hiring delivery drivers. It's misinformation to say that NOBODY is hiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom